Need your help and words of wisdom please

Dynamo

Visit site
Horse was competing successfully at Elementary dressage up to November last year. Noticed gradual reduction in performance through December and particularly in the canter. Had the vet, full work-up, declared sound and suggested increase in work.

Performance has worsened but vet still declaring he's sound on trot up, flexion and lunge. Am taking horse for a second opinion and scans and x-rays anyway because I'm just not happy about how he is, but tell me, what in your experience does this say to you:

- swinging quarters vigorously to the right when I put my right leg on to ask for any upward transition, walk to trot, trot to canter
- bucking on almost every transition from trot to canter, both reins
- occasionally disunited, but only very occasionally
- diving through the downward transitions, sort of plunging forward and then tucking his head behind the contact and just powering forward completely overbent
- all of the above only happen when ridden, never on the lunge

Saddle is checked twice a year, teeth done twice a year, has full physio about every three months or so. Same issues whether in snaffle or double bridle.

In your experience, does it point to... PSD? Ulcers? Kissing Spine? Anything else you can think of? Tell me your experiences. Many many thanks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would X-ray the back ,the hocks and scan the suspensorys on the hind legs .
Don’t delay just get it done horses who have been previously working happily don’t just start behaving like that for no reason .

be positive

Visit site
Mine struggled in canter transitions and was reactive to the right leg when he had soft tissue damage to the SI, the first vet couldn't see anything and i was told to ride through it, a change of vet and it was picked up with little more than a glance at him trotting in hand, confirmed by scans before treatment.
It could be almost anything and I would not rule out it being in front with the dropping behind the contact, sometimes their front feet hurting causes odd behaviour which may not show as lameness in a normal work up.

Fiona

Visit site
Hopefully your vet is correct, and there is no unsoundness....

Fingers crossed for you its something like ulcers which is easier to treat :)

Fiona

Dynamo

Visit site
Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it. Yes, you're right, they don't suddenly start being difficult for no reason. I keep thinking it's me not riding as well as I used to, but I just know there is something not right. It's so hard when the vet you know and have always trusted tells you there is nothing wrong, but then you read about so many cases where this happens and there does turn out to be something going on.

Booked in at an equine hospital for hock and back x-rays, suspensory scan, ulcer scope and whatever else it takes... Thank you.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Fingers crossed for you OP. That's a lot of strange things to be doing all of a sudden if it was just you "not riding well", though of course that would be the simplest thing to change :( Hope you get some answers and it is something easy to treat.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would just say if they scan the suspensories don't let them stop there if they find something, I've known of a couple of cases recently there this has happened, op has occurred then they end up back for another work up as still not right and had an SI issue too.