Never set yourself a limitation!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I think we can all be guilty of accepting our lot, doing the same old same old and therefore getting the same old same old!

I have posted about going to a new instructor and I had a bit of a revelation in my last lesson, although we are going through the motions I wasn't really 'riding it' and Topaz certainly wasn't really 'giving it', this is what happens when its the blind leading the blind ;). We worked on opening up Topaz's range of movement within the paces and well blow me down, she felt AMAZING and it suddenly clicked what it was I'd been trying to achieve :).

So with the words "what can we do to make it an 8" ringing in my ears, we went out for M61 and M73 on Sunday. I figured what have I got to lose (well the competition :lol:), but thought lets do this, and really rode for the engagement. I know if I get her in front of the leg it curbs the spooking, but what I'd not strung together was she can be forward and collected ;). First test, felt mega, it's a super easy medium and she is fairly established, but actually it was nice to find it easy and therefore ask more :). If she hadn’t squeezed a flying change in :mad: we would so have been seventy percent... I know it’s not about the score really, but omg so close and I’m really starting to believe that yes she IS a seventy percent horse :eek:. 69% and overall first.

Unfortunately the tests were almost back to back and well the fatty hippo is not renown for her stamina :eek:, so not really enough time to get the energy back up between tests, so we were a bit tired :eek:. This did mean we scored another 9 for our collection, for our walk :eek::lol:. So a slightly less together but no flying changes test for 68% and first again :D.

27337283_752027934983069_5562254440328074869_n.jpg

27459299_752027921649737_6607985623715696501_n.jpg

Clever Topaz, it's funny I've loved training her but it's only really now that I’m really starting to believe in us and stopped putting a limit on just what we can achieve!

In other news Skylla is now beyond smug, all the work and years Topaz has put in and she gets the swanky new sponsered bridle from CK Equine :rolleyes3: :lol:, what she isn't banking on is the plan of work for her this season now ;).

27540457_752529474932915_6148518358219637260_n.jpg

Thanks for reading!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh wow, massive massive well done, those are spectacular scores. It is truly amazing when you find a whole new pool of scope in a horse that you didn't believe existed :D congrats on finding that new instructor.

Skylla has her work cut out now!

j1ffy

Visit site
Absolutely fantastic, well done!! I like the “make it an 8” philosophy - I tend to be too chuffed with a 7!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Oh wow, massive massive well done, those are spectacular scores. It is truly amazing when you find a whole new pool of scope in a horse that you didn't believe existed :D congrats on finding that new instructor.

Skylla has her work cut out now!

Thank you, I think I knew she was talented but had no idea how to access it or if I even could access it, new instructor is da' bomb ;)!

Well done! Great achievement.

Thank you :).

Well done :D Would be great if you hit the 70% next outing, but these scores are just as exciting!

Yes 70% feels so close now, though I'm still super chuffed as I'd always put us at the mid 60's mark and really she can get the better marks and I can ask more of her :).

Absolutely fantastic, well done!! I like the “make it an 8” philosophy - I tend to be too chuffed with a 7!

This is the problem, or my problem. I was always so chuffed to get a 7 it was almost like this was our ceiling and all I could expect and the pinnacle almost of what we could score. Clearly I need to rethink that attitude and once we've done the strength, balance, engagement training then there is no reason not to ride for those 8's or 9's :eek3: ;).

Wheels

Visit site
That's fantastic, well done to you and topaz.

Is the CK equine stuff nice? I'm just waiting on a delivery :)

Is that how the noseband is supposed to fit? It looks exceptionally low

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
That's fantastic, well done to you and topaz.

Is the CK equine stuff nice? I'm just waiting on a delivery :)

Is that how the noseband is supposed to fit? It looks exceptionally low

Love the CK Equine stuff, English leather and Topaz's bridles are still going strong 4 years later :).

It's a drop so yes lower than a cavesson would be :).

Bernster

Visit site
Oh marvellous, lovely update. You need to stop squashing her giant ears though ;-)

I also think she deserves a fancy new bridle haha.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Oh marvellous, lovely update. You need to stop squashing her giant ears though ;-)

I also think she deserves a fancy new bridle haha.

She squishes them herself ;), she has a fancy bridle just not a sponsored one ;).

Ain't it great when you find another level. The 70% will happen :)
Can I just whisper you are at it again. You don't ride for an 8 or 9 :( you ride for a 10!

:) Thank you, LOL ok that is a fair point, but baby steps I've only just come to the realisation that we can score more than 7's ;)!

Well done, and to echo Paddymonty, aim for that 10 :) xx

:lol: Topaz scoring 10's, well I suppose it can happen :lol:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Super super super! Well done you both; keep on knocking it out of the park and those scores will just be the icing on the cake (if anyone can mix more metaphors, go for it).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
They are with Di Breeze at my saddle fitters place in north wales, she is AMAZING!

Ooo, freedom saddlery? Dabs had his first saddle from her. Di does some clinics just about within reach of me, so might see if I can check one out at some point :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ooo, freedom saddlery? Dabs had his first saddle from her. Di does some clinics just about within reach of me, so might see if I can check one out at some point :D

Jealous! I keep seeing BD clinics advertised by my region but I'm like the opposite end of Wales, grrr :(

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Right multi-quote has broken so bare with!

Levrier we scored poop at prelim, so don’t give up hope!

Thank you Silv and fingers crossed :).

Yep DabDab, Freedom saddlery, Steph is lovely and the one who encouraged me to give the clinics a go. I owe a lot to Steph lol.

Milliepops if you can go to one I would really really recommend her :).

Thank you Buddy’sMum, I’m lucky she suits most things and I have some super sparkly boots to match :eek:, well when she’s not covered in mud...

Last edited:

Embo

Visit site
Well done Team Carriage Horses! Such a great update. Shame about the cheeky flying change, you'll crack 70% in no time, I'm sure!

Agree with the philosophy of not putting a limit on yourself/your horse. For so long I thought I would only ever be able to plod around at Prelim, but plugging away with our training this winter so many pennies have dropped; for both me and B. My attitude has changed and I lean more towards thoughts of "yes we CAN", I'm already waving bye-bye to Prelim. I want to be attempting Medium by the end of 2018.

I just wish I'd had this revelation sooner :D many users on this forum have helped inspire this drive, yourself included. So I thank you, Topaz, and Skylla, and I REALLY look forward to reading the next update :D

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Well done Team Carriage Horses! Such a great update. Shame about the cheeky flying change, you'll crack 70% in no time, I'm sure!

Agree with the philosophy of not putting a limit on yourself/your horse. For so long I thought I would only ever be able to plod around at Prelim, but plugging away with our training this winter so many pennies have dropped; for both me and B. My attitude has changed and I lean more towards thoughts of "yes we CAN", I'm already waving bye-bye to Prelim. I want to be attempting Medium by the end of 2018.

I just wish I'd had this revelation sooner :D many users on this forum have helped inspire this drive, yourself included. So I thank you, Topaz, and Skylla, and I REALLY look forward to reading the next update :D

Thank you, it's funny I hadn't deliberately put a limit on us but more just accepted that this was all we could score. Excellent attitude and I'm positive you can be doing medium by the end of this year!