Never simple is it? Lami/cushings

meleeka

Visit site
From those photos she doesn’t look fat, nor will she be a charity case if she loses a bit more. Turning is the last thing to improve so wouldn’t worry about that at the moment. If she’s comfy in a straight line in her boots that’s good.

TwyfordM

Visit site
From those photos she doesn’t look fat, nor will she be a charity case if she loses a bit more. Turning is the last thing to improve so wouldn’t worry about that at the moment. If she’s comfy in a straight line in her boots that’s good.

She's not really comfy moving at all, even in boots in stable. She's just too polite to refuse to move. Normally I'm lucky if she's got two feet on the ground at the same time 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

meleeka

Visit site
She's not really comfy moving at all, even in boots in stable. She's just too polite to refuse to move. Normally I'm lucky if she's got two feet on the ground at the same time 🤦🏼‍♀️😂
What pads are you using? Mine had ones made from interlocking floor mats, with a yoga mat one on top. The soft ones I bought from Urban Horse were still uncomfortable for her.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
Would your vet support upping her Prascend without a blood test? I’ve done in twice now and then tested to confirm 6 weeks after. I figured I was at the point where it couldn’t do any harm.

Last edited:

I'm Dun

Visit site
She's got me through so much over the years, I owe her so much. I wouldn't be where I am, or the person I am today without her. I'm not even sure I'd still be here to be honest, which is why it's so hard, but I know I owe it to her to make sure she's not suffering.

Doesn't make it any easier though 😢

Trying to remember better a day too soon, than a day too late.

I called time too late for my boy and it haunts me. The vets kept encouraging me saying they could do this and that, but he just didn't get better and no cause was found. 6yrs down the line and I still get flashes of guilt that I let it go on too long. Its such a hard thing to do.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Would your vet support upping her Prascend without a blood test? I’ve done in twice now and then tested to confirm 6 weeks after. I figured I was at the point where it couldn’t do any harm.

Potentially, it's something to talk about but we've had issues with dosage in the past making her absolutely miserable, hence why she's on the paste as we can give smaller amounts.

SO1

Visit site
What a beautiful pony she is and a credit to you with her weight as well. She certainly does not look overweight.

If it not related to her weight but due to hormones then hopefully increasing medication may work.

It is difficult with hay some hay can be really quite high in sugar.

When Homey couldn't eat hay due to his gastric issues I tried something called Lamigel for him it is very low in sugar and starch and may work as a partial hay replacement.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have you tried metformin? I know some say it does not work but it helped my boy. Also I used Alpaca hair to pad boots. That helped as molded to his foot. would clipping her help? Sorry you are struggling with this horrible problem.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Have you tried metformin? I know some say it does not work but it helped my boy. Also I used Alpaca hair to pad boots. That helped as molded to his foot. would clipping her help? Sorry you are struggling with this horrible problem.

Possibly, she's not the best with clipping though and I'd rather not stress her out at the mo. She's not hot/sweating at all either.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Possibly, she's not the best with clipping though and I'd rather not stress her out at the mo. She's not hot/sweating at all either.
Only other thing I can think of is cinnanom? Not tried it but supposed to help. Maybe worth a try. Possibly acp? supposed to help blood flow and will also keep her calm.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Only other thing I can think of is cinnanom? Not tried it but supposed to help. Maybe worth a try. Possibly acp? supposed to help blood flow and will also keep her calm.

She gets cinnamon in her day to day feeds anyway, might increase the dose a bit see if it helps

NinjaPony

Visit site
Nothing to add other than I also having a Cushings/lami Welsh section A and it’s a constant worry and battle. She is very slim, you’ve followed every rule out there so this relapse is not on your shoulders. When mine had a terrible bout, he was in on a deep bed with paracetemol plus two danilon a day. Once he stabilised I put him in heart bar shoes and that really helped his comfort levels. I’m watching and waiting for it to happen again tbh, even though I’m so careful.

catembi

Visit site
Please disregard if unhelpful, but my EMS Dartmoor gets (I think...) cold-induced lami... The vet told me that they're not convinced that it's a thing, because obviously when it's cold the grass is frosty, so it's put down to frosty grass rather than the cold itself. However, all of mine have been 100% off grass and on the yard since around October as my fields get too wet, and her latest lami happened when there had been a frost. Anecdotal evidence from my EMS group shows that other grass free people find the same. So my girl has Cloud boots on in front during the day, & if the overnight temp is going to be less than 5 degrees or so, I put neoprene turnout boots on in front which cover the hoof, instead of the Clouds so that her feet can have a break from them. My stables all have thick rubber mats which help to keep her feet warm.

Might be worth a try if nothing else is working?

meleeka

Visit site
Please disregard if unhelpful, but my EMS Dartmoor gets (I think...) cold-induced lami... The vet told me that they're not convinced that it's a thing, because obviously when it's cold the grass is frosty, so it's put down to frosty grass rather than the cold itself. However, all of mine have been 100% off grass and on the yard since around October as my fields get too wet, and her latest lami happened when there had been a frost. Anecdotal evidence from my EMS group shows that other grass free people find the same. So my girl has Cloud boots on in front during the day, & if the overnight temp is going to be less than 5 degrees or so, I put neoprene turnout boots on in front which cover the hoof, instead of the Clouds so that her feet can have a break from them. My stables all have thick rubber mats which help to keep her feet warm.

Yes! My old pony what I’m as sure as I can be, was cold induced laminitis. Current pony has wraps on when she’s in her stable in the winter.

TwyfordM

Visit site

Bizarre but possible? We are Kent so not particularly cold at the mo but did have a few nights drop near freezing. Feels like an absolute mine field and I've battled lami for near on 15 years now 😳😳 if I manage one risk another pops up, it's like that whack a mole game 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

My main concern is quality of life moving forwards, getting it while in on carefully controlled feeds etc, what's going to happen when fields open up again? She was muzzled and in work all last summer and out for a half day 3/4 times a week, keeping the muzzle on is a battle in itself 😳

catembi

Visit site
I feel your pain! I have 2 x ex racers who need to eat, eat, eat especially as one of them is now 20. I also have the EMS Dartmoor & a rather rotund Shetland. They need completely different management. The littlies will need grazing muzzles when the fields open up, which I hate doing to them but the alternative is lami & being shot, whereas the TBs need to eat loads. I am half heartedly looking at moving the littlies on and in particular would love the Shetland to have a job as I backed her (bareback...she's only 9.2hh), started teaching her dressage & taught her to jump on the lunge so it's a shame for her to do nothing. The Dartmoor also has type 2 PSSM so gets very stiff stabled, and she's allergic to hay so I have had to move everyone to haylage...! She is backed as well & I was taking her to dressage & polework clinics & looking at starting competing when the PSSM kicked in... Yes, it's whack a mole...!

TwyfordM

Visit site
Pulses have finally stopped, thank god. 4 days of them just bounding continuously though, dread to think the damage done ☹️

Just been re dressing feet and padding up further and she's back to fidgeting, so that's a positive sign at long last. Still not holding my breath but at least she's more comfortable. Screaming her head off every time I go out of sight 🤦🏼‍♀️

EA6F6D36-05CC-46DD-A859-CEE0622D5BF8.jpeg

Couple of steps out the stable to do the boots, she's resting a back foot again too and not rocking back with them on 🤞🏻

Pinkvboots

Visit site
View attachment 135497View attachment 135498

How we are looking weight wise at the moment. Fat pads on shoulders/crest just don't shift. Coats very thick so hides how slim she really is ☹️

Quick couple of steps to the tie up ring to assess this morning, still very sore turning and she's got some thick sponge padding in her hoof boots. 😕

Hooves still hot, pulse still going strong.
So sorry she has gone down with laminitis, the fat pads can indicate something metabolic going on and once on the right medication the laminitis is much better controlled.

Friends pony was literally off her feet at the point of pts and once on the ems medication it took a week and she was sound.

So definitely worth testing.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Thank goodness she is more comfortable now. Such a relief the pulses have stopped. You have done a fantastic job. Huge hugs to you and your beautiful mare xxx

Was just sat in tears last night in her stable, she just rolled her eyes and carried on eating 😂

Still on a lot of painkillers so a long long way to go, but she's determined to fight on at the mo, so we carry on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Will have vet run full bloods this week too, want to check liver, for EMS again and obviously ACTH. But will ask if worth testing for anything else. Rather have a full picture of her health

It might be wise to do her kidney function if she's been long term on bute or similar.

TwyfordM

Visit site
It might be wise to do her kidney function if she's been long term on bute or similar.

I did think that might be possible, given history with Nan and kidney failure I know how many systems and issues it can hit.

No long term Bute, only long term med is the bova pergolide paste. Even supplement wise she gets turmeric, cinnamon and a little dash of linseed oil, so nothing that's likely to cause issues.

Hay is from a long term supplier, fields don't get treated, but this is Mysti so if she wants to throw a spanner in the works for no apparent reason she will 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

TwyfordM

Visit site
B6B0D365-E143-4E39-B6BE-070B2D680D64.jpeg
I mean she's clearly being her normal self when I'm not around if she's still behaving as her usual "killer pony" self 🙄🤣

Going to be fun getting the bloods 🤦🏼‍♀️

meleeka

Visit site
View attachment 135552
I mean she's clearly being her normal self when I'm not around if she's still behaving as her usual "killer pony" self 🙄🤣

Going to be fun getting the bloods 🤦🏼‍♀️

Are you sure she isn’t a related to mine? 😂. Mine frustrated about being let out half an hour late this morning and I thought she was going to kick the stable roof. She’s 12hh 😱

Orangehorse

Visit site
None from me either. I can only tell you that I had my cushings mare put down at 25 as her levels were rising and she was already on 4 tablets daily, which is a lot for a 15.2 lightweight horse. She became footy and vet thought she was low grade lami so I made the choice to end it rather than curtail her life by being in a stable and not allowing her to graze with her friend. Although I miss her I’m sure that it was the right decision for her. You know your mare and know if she is happy so that’s the choice I think . I was pretty sure mine would have been very unhappy kept in.

That was my experience too with my 25 year old. I had retired him from riding so there was no prospect of being ridden again and I thought he would miss the pleasure in life if I had to curtail his eating. The vet thought that there was something else going on too as he was losing weight and looked thin but although it was very upsetting I decided that he should go while still relatively happy and not leave it until he was struggling.