Never simple is it? Lami/cushings

Fransurrey

Visit site
Oh bless her! Only just seen this, but glad she's rallied.

On the subject of cold-induced laminitis, I don't know why vets wouldn't be convinced it's a thing. Low temperatures affect gene expression of many photosynthesis related proteins, so it makes sense that this will have an impact on sugar content/type.

Boulty

Visit site
I have heard about cold induced lami more from a POV of changes to circulation related to extreme temperatures. Apparently booting the feet & / or bandaging or stable chaps on the legs can help as a preventative. Can’t remember where I read about it though. Possibly something Forage Plus posted at some point?

TwyfordM

Visit site
Keep your fingers crossed for bloods results but looks like the brat lives to fight another day 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Only managed to get the bloods by neck twitching once had her distracted with some recovery mash (Thankyou whoever invented the stuff - she's obsessed!)

Trotted out sound as a pound, including turning, off the Bute, probably a bit of adrenaline masking probably but still a good sign. Vet said one more week of box rest then if she's still looking as good to try and ease her back into normal routine.

Phew .. I'm going to go collapse into a pile somewhere and sleep 😴😴

meleeka

Visit site
Keep your fingers crossed for bloods results but looks like the brat lives to fight another day 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Only managed to get the bloods by neck twitching once had her distracted with some recovery mash (Thankyou whoever invented the stuff - she's obsessed!)

Trotted out sound as a pound, including turning, off the Bute, probably a bit of adrenaline masking probably but still a good sign. Vet said one more week of box rest then if she's still looking as good to try and ease her back into normal routine.

Phew .. I'm going to go collapse into a pile somewhere and sleep 😴😴

That’s good news. I’m currently stuck in the last phase. Mine has the yard and stable in the daytime and I’m desperate to get her back out in a small paddock, but it’s still ankle deep in mud. I worry she’s going to do herself an injury, because I’m sure she’ll go a bit mad, so am holding out a bit longer. Shes quite happy at the moment thankfully.

meleeka

Visit site

Was trotting up and she was being an idiot (trying to charge off, cantering along 🙄😂) so popped her in the school for 5 and she's definitely feeling better 🤣🤞🏻

She’s looking very happy and well ❤️
Bloods came back at 62, vets not sure if just the latest episode causing it or a general rise so we've put it up a bit and will retest in a month or so

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I feel for you, it is hard to know what to do for the best when they do not fit into the usual fat, overfed, under exercised category. I had a welsh d x TB who developed laminitis as a seven year old on returning from being schooled. She had bouts over and over again, like you kept her off the grass, she was not overweight and being ridden regularly. It got to the stage where she became a very unhappy pony so made the decision to turn her out 24/7 and if she couldn't cope PTS was a better option as she was so depressed with the restrictions put on her. Never looked back, she didn't have another bout but remained as a field ornament for the rest of her days, she was PTS last May at the age of 30.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Aw they put you on a rollercoaster, don’t they!

I think your plan is sensible. I had to let my beloved mare go a couple of years ago. It felt like we were seeing the vet nearly every month to try to get her sound enough to plod on.

How on Earth can you have such a dazzling white horse in a muddy field?? I’ve never seen such a think in decades of having horses!🤔😲😲

TwyfordM

Visit site
Aw they put you on a rollercoaster, don’t they!

I think your plan is sensible. I had to let my beloved mare go a couple of years ago. It felt like we were seeing the vet nearly every month to try to get her sound enough to plod on.

How on Earth can you have such a dazzling white horse in a muddy field?? I’ve never seen such a think in decades of having horses!🤔😲😲

Didn't last long ....

E143BD1A-EC9D-444E-AC50-83DB55E79A3E.jpeg

suestowford

Visit site
Mine could get a muzzle off in five minutes also. So I started plaiting a hank of mane around the headpiece and he never managed to get the muzzle off by himself again.
This worked best with two hair bobbles. I'd take a hank of mane and split it around the headpiece, then hair bobble it, plait the hair and another bobble at the end. Because his mane is short but thick he did look odd with a fat little plait sticking straight up but it worked a treat.

Another thought, about the bloods. I have been told that if the pony is excited/upset then the hormone levels can go up due to this. If she's stressing about the blood being taken it could be skewing your results.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Mine could get a muzzle off in five minutes also. So I started plaiting a hank of mane around the headpiece and he never managed to get the muzzle off by himself again.
This worked best with two hair bobbles. I'd take a hank of mane and split it around the headpiece, then hair bobble it, plait the hair and another bobble at the end. Because his mane is short but thick he did look odd with a fat little plait sticking straight up but it worked a treat.

Another thought, about the bloods. I have been told that if the pony is excited/upset then the hormone levels can go up due to this. If she's stressing about the blood being taken it could be skewing your results.

Yep I do this with muzzle 😊 have given yard a step by step guide for when they turn her out.

Potentially, we have had normal readings while she's acting up, but she goes for it with the rearing and striking out so who knows. Vet said proximity to the lami episode possible to have put levels up too