Eventing New BE rules- 2 XC eliminations and made to drop down a level, thoughts?

only_me

Visit site
seems A good idea, won’t do any harm to drop a level to boost confidence before moving back up after 2 elims.

I am curious to how it will work with the BE entry system, you all have to enter so far in advance and what happens if you’ve entered 3 novice events, elim at the first 2 and half to step down - will your entry for the 3rd novice be automatically moved/honoured by event to PN or will you loose that entry?
I know ballot stickers are used strategically as well so will you get your ballot sticker back if you aren’t allowed to drop a level at the 3rd novice?

Fiona

Visit site
seems A good idea, won’t do any harm to drop a level to boost confidence before moving back up after 2 elims.

I am curious to how it will work with the BE entry system, you all have to enter so far in advance and what happens if you’ve entered 3 novice events, elim at the first 2 and half to step down - will your entry for the 3rd novice be automatically moved/honoured by event to PN or will you loose that entry?
I know ballot stickers are used strategically as well so will you get your ballot sticker back if you aren’t allowed to drop a level at the 3rd novice?

Good points....

Fiona

ihatework

Visit site
Hoping someone replies lol

Will be interesting to see how it pans out but I imagine it will be a bit like how entries are managed if someone upgrades. Entries secretaries will hopefully be obliged to switch the entry into the class down, if there is one, or refund?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Good rule IMO, surely most would drop down if this happened anyway without the rule being in place. I certainly would. My only confusion is - what happens if this happens at BE80 (so no level to drop down to!)?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Good rule IMO, surely most would drop down if this happened anyway without the rule being in place. I certainly would. My only confusion is - what happens if this happens at BE80 (so no level to drop down to!)?

If it happens at BE80 you need to be assessed and then be passed by a trainer before being able to take part again.

sportsmansB

Visit site
This is a sort of more simplified and watered down system of what happens in Ireland.
Many sensible people would say well yes, of course if you have two (proper) E's for falls, it would seem sensible to step down anyway. It is only one run after all, and to be honest if you are chasing a competition plan / goal for the season but can't achieve it because of this rule, then maybe it wasn't the right plan / goal anyway.

When the more complex system came in in Ireland, some of the loudest protests were from the parents of pony and junior riders. To me that is absolutely insane. If statistics are saying that your child or pony are at risk of hurting themselves, surely you listen?!

The full irish system probably works better in some ways, as E's are treated differently depending on the significance - so a horse fall is more serious than a rider fall, or 3 refusals. However ALL refusals also go into the system. That does make it hard on a sharp green one who is spooking at the flowers / banners / fence next to their own - but the end result is the same- more practice outside of affiliated competition so that they don't get stepped down/ sent to training.

If it is only E's which are counted in England, then maybe people having a lot of bother and on 2 stops will pull up rather than risk an E - and that might be the thing which saves their neck. Then, if they have any wit, they will go schooling so that they aren't in the same boat again.

As a scorer, I know that it has put extra pressure on us, with people much more focussed on their results and less willing to accept a borderline decision from a fence judge on a refusal for example. We also need to be very careful to categorise the eliminations correctly so that people aren't over-penalised (horse fall v rider fall for example).

We have gotten used to it over here now, so it will be interesting to see how it works there...