new girl on the yard (sorry its long!)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Just flying in and out :)

You are being very reasonable :)

If she were doing that to my horses, including the laminitc one, I'd be screaming blue murder at her. I will not risk him getting lami again :mad:, never mind the fact that no-one shuts my horses up for hours without water, etc. It is unbelieveable that she thinks it's okay to do it - I wonder if she would be okay if someone did that to her horse? And no, I'm not suggesting for a moment that anyone does!

Right. Off to bed. I think I've overloaded on silly people tonight.

I hope you get it sorted OP :). Hugs.

Llewellyn

Visit site
Stupid question but being inexperienced have you checked that she knows what lami is and what causes it and how its aggrevated? All very well saying ooo he's lami but you'd be surprised how many people don't know what it is or that like alcoholics they never recover (always prone) or that not only fat ponies can get it.

Although personally I would never go to a yard where I was expected to lead through fields I think the corridor idea is best, I think it is really rude to tell her not to be afraid its not the times you lead them through and they do anything, that proves nothing. Its the time your horses are @rsing about fly buck at her horse and hit her instead, I know this has happened to me. Deffinately don't say its perfectly safe, its deffinately NOT.

This is not to condone her actions they are inexcusable. Maybe ask for the rule that no food is ever to be introduced to the field enviroment it only encourages tw*tish behaviour. But while she is being an idiot for leaving them in I think her reasons are founded if not justified. Just executed incorrectly. Think this is a work with thing not a 'you will get a massive vets bill thing'! Maybe if she knew better but I don't think she sounds like she does.

Last edited:

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Is it not possible for you to have her paddock and her yours?
I agree she has overstepped the mark but she sounds too inexperienced to know better.
I am afraid under these circumstances if she refuses to stop feeding she needs a written warning that if any of your horses suffer colic or you fall off due to them being overfed, you will consider her liable.
Arrange a yard meeting and insist everyone else is there, and thrash it out on the spot.
She will either back down, agree to swap fields or leave...
I would also perhaps offer to help her get through your field a few times showing her how to carry a schooling whip and wave it at them...

hannahmurphy

Visit site
What an idiot. She knew how the field situation was going to work before she came, so she should just learn to deal with it by getting over her fear of leading her horse through it! Id be livid if someone was feeding my horse, lami or not!

So the horses got excited when she first took her horse in, well YES :rolleyes: Sounds like they have settled now so she needs to just get on with it & you lot need to not pussy foot around her :p I wouldn't even bother with the lane .... hey she can leave if she doesn't like it. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but who in their right mind takes it upon themselves to feed others horses?!!! Grrr!

Good luck anywho!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry I haven't read all the replies, so I'm probably repeating what others have said.
I can see both sides of this.
I presume that she is paying your friend for her livery, in which case really your friend should make sure that she can get to and from her field safely. I know you say all the horses are quiet but if you are inexperienced and leading a new horse through a field with two unfamiliar horses, IMO that is a recipe for disaster. You don't really know how they all behave with her, just because they respect your space and don't try it on with you doesn't mean they behave like that with her.
I can quite understand that you do not want a laminitic to be fed any extra food but how would you feel if one of the horses, yours or hers, got injured during this procedure. I would always take other horses out myself if I Had to lead one through a field.
TBH I think that it is up to your friend, the YO, to fence off a lane to that she can safely get her horse through, and at YO's expense - unless they can now all go in together.

BSJAlove

Visit site
thank you for all your replies. i fell asleep last night so i will reply now. spoke to mum this morning, we are going to put the electric fence up tonight after work. we are going to explain to her that she must use a head collar from now on. and we will also speak to the YO as other liveries have backed us up.

just to clarify, unsure of how old G is but she has 3 children and a hubby who come to the yard with her and the children are another problem but this is being addressed by YO himself. have explained Lami to her and what triggers it and what will happen if he gets it again. but i guess she isnt thinking of my cob. i also understand it is a rather stupid set up lol. but we are all local girls (all live in the same little village as the yard) and have all been at the yard a minimum of 4 years so we have a routine and the horses have a routine. when i had missy (if any of you remember) she was in the same field G is in now and i had absolutly no trouble and nor did the others who have used the field.

its not possible to swap fields as the individual paddock has no shelter and is far too small for two horses, even with my lamanitic as one. thank you again for the replies. i will come online tonight and update you on whats happened! :eek:

ISHmad

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies but my immediate thought was that this is something that your YO should be sorting out before somebody gets hurt, whether horses or humans. I would be beyond furious if someone was stuffing my horses with buckets of feed each day to get their horses in and out. But equally if the boot was on the other foot and I was struggling to get mine out through another horses paddock then I would find that an issue as well.

The electric corridor sounds like the best solution all round. But I do think your YO should have stepped up to the plate and dealt with this. Longstanding liveries like you are worth your weight in gold and he or she should respect that.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
thank you. i just wanted reasurance we are not being unreasonable. we have suggested putting a fence up and even offered our electric fencing to use but she didnt want to put it up. its slightly petty but we feel like its been the way on the yard for years and if she wants to change it, she sould put up the fence. it might be the only option we have left so i guess we would have to do that. :eek: its not ideal as it means we will have to bucket water as the only way we could do it would mean blocking off their water suply.

if you can't move the water supply, you could do what i have put a new trough in or bucket and fill up with an hose from the water trough, you need and adaptor but you can fit one on. i know you have been there longer but rather the attitude that why should she not do it (put the fence up) why should we have to. i would just tape off the bit of field. that way for certain you know she want be feeding your cobs:)

ps may be she doesnt know how to put the fence up, maybe you could show at the same time as you run it across?

Persephone

Visit site
I do kind of feel for this girl. I wouldn't want to have to lead my horse through another horse's field to get her out. It's just asking for accidents and this girl has been frightened/clipped once already.

Obviously no matter how sensible the horses are in this field there is a very real risk of something going wrong. Especially as this girl is a novice and may not read a situation.

Agree that your yard owner should be stepping in here, to solve the problem of leading in and also make it abundantly clear to this girl what harm she can be doing by feeding your boy. I would be petrified for his sake too OP!

I can see this sinking into an atmosphere on the yard, which will spread through all of you and make it an unhappy place to be. Better to sort it before it gets to that stage!

BSJAlove

Visit site
I do kind of feel for this girl. I wouldn't want to have to lead my horse through another horse's field to get her out. It's just asking for accidents and this girl has been frightened/clipped once already.

Obviously no matter how sensible the horses are in this field there is a very real risk of something going wrong. Especially as this girl is a novice and may not read a situation.

i agree, we felt bad she was having trouble and and we comprimised for her but she was feeding my cob feed behind my back and leaving them in the barn when she shouldnt have without water. we have been as patient and kind and as helpful as we could and in return all we have had is complaining and ''its not good enough''. i fully understand that its a very bad layout. but its been this way since we turned up 10 years ago. YO has had no complaints until now and we have had no complaints about our boys and trust me, we would know the minuet they cause trouble as the livery would tell us. i understand this is a routine not suited to most people and we have accepted we need to change it for G, which we did tonight. (in the rain). there wasnt really a way to work the fence so that we could keep the barn within access to the boys so they are missing out on their shelter and water (which we are now bucketing), they are out 24.7. so i think we have comprimised for G alot more then we should have. we have left a note (she wasnt there when we were) explaing the situation and why the fence is up. we also printed out lots of info about Lami and said not to feed them again.

i must say, i do feel really pissed off we are now losing the shelter and water we pay for. like i said in my previous post, we have raised this issue tonight with YO who agreed with us and is having a word with G tomorrow to discuss why she is having trouble and what we can do to sort it out long term so my boys can have their shelter and water back.

oh the joys of livery lol. we never normally have a problem with new liverys as the new ones (i say new but have been here 4 years now) love the laid back, non bitchness yard we have. its compleatly DIY with no hassle and it works out perfectly for us. i just feel like G should be at a bigger 'proper' yard with the correct facilities (shes not riding at the moment as doesnt want to hack her horse out as shes slightly spooky bcause of moving home and learning the new rides) and in instructor at hand. but of course we cant say that to her. we can just help when she asks.

Natch

Visit site
You're bending over backwards for someone who won't give an inch. YO needs to sort it out pronto, and you need to be screaming blue murder if necessary to ensure your cobs aren't being fed. Honestly, who does she think she is?!

BSJAlove

Visit site
take the gate off your barn

wish it was as easy as that but when i use the term barn, its literally a huge barn. i dont really know how to describe it but its the size of 12 BIG stables? and the gate is heavy and would need to be removed by a small tractor..

any how as said before, we have sectioned off a walk way for now until YO has had sorted it out. :)

fitzaud2

Visit site
See, I'd have lost the plot at this stage, experience or not!!! It's not rocket science to lead in your own horse, and if you can't, you'r in trouble. I think you are being very patient with her, and she needs telling, in a nice way, that it cant continue. Elec fence is a good option, if needs be, maybe someone could help her for a day or 2, to show her that it can be done..

Lizzie66

Visit site
Can the lane you have created not be moved to go round the edge of your field rather than cutting across it, this would then leave you with full access to your facilities ?

Failing that as she appears unwilling to compromise try chaining the gate to the barn in an open position and then padlock it.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
That would drive me mad.
Is there any way you can you get a chain and padlock the gate to the barn either shut or open, so that she can't use it?

I think you now need to be rather blunt and tell this girl that how she behaving is unacceptable. If she takes offence and leaves, well, at least your horses wont be at risk from getting lami, nor have to be penned inside the barn with no water for hours, just because of this girls incompetance. Cruel to be kind and all that?

Hippona

Visit site
wish it was as easy as that but when i use the term barn, its literally a huge barn. i dont really know how to describe it but its the size of 12 BIG stables? and the gate is heavy and would need to be removed by a small tractor..

any how as said before, we have sectioned off a walk way for now until YO has had sorted it out. :)

Padlock the barn gate?;) Thats what I would do. And feel no guilt whatsoever.....you've bent over backwards for this girl and sh'es taking the pee.

You've been very patient....I wouldnt stand for my horses being put away for 2-3 hours to suit someone else, and on top of that you've got the lammi issue.

Laura1234

Visit site
I really think you have been patient enough - I would got MENTAL if someone fed my horse, or kept it locked up for 3 hours. I would tell her, if she did not like it then LEAVE! She has now caused herself more issues by feeding your horses, so they associate her with food, how thick is she?? Then she will turn round and say 'your horses are always following me and my horse, they are the problem' - at this point I would probably slap her, grrrrrrrrr! :mad:
I don't see why your lads should not have access to the barn - she needs to grow up and deal it and get on and just lead her horse through your field. You should show her how it is done, and if she says no, then just say, well as of today, you can no longer move my horses, so deal with it - Put a chain round the gate to the barn, so it can't be closed, then she will have to!

Luci07

Visit site
We all seem to be missing the original point - which is this new livery KNEW what the set up would be BEFORE she came to the yard. You are very patient as I would not have not have moved my horses around and had them lose out on shelter for someone else.

BSJAlove

Visit site
okay. so its all gone crazy and were in need of legal advice. dont want to put anything on here but if anyone is good at this sort of thing, could you PM me and ill explain then but really need help.

ecrozier

Visit site
TBH I wouldn't be happy about leading my horse through another field of horses however good they are - especially as the nights draw in. However that would be an issue I would raise very early and if there was no way around it I wouldn't move to the yard.
Can you give a gist of what has happened? Ie person/horse injured or outbreak of lami? Then people could advise? Your YO needs to sort this out - be it by refencing etc or asking said livery to move or swap fields?

BSJAlove

Visit site
ok. we sectioned off the field. comprimised and gave up our field shelter and water for her. then found out via YO that G was making noise about sueing us for when her own horse caught her on the leg. now back ground of that day. it was the first time she was bringing her horse off the field and her routine is to bring horse off at 8pm. we warned her that our boys arnt used to horses coming off that late and plus she is new so put them in the barn and turn them out after. she chose not too and obviously our boys came down to see what was going on and one of them sniffed noses with her horse who squeeled and kicked out a leg which caught G. i dont think she has a leg to stand on however i wanted advice. obviously, she saw yard before she came on and we warned her and have now sorted field arrangements out. and it wasnt even our horses that got her? anyhow. G's horse is now up for sale and YO is also reaserching what he can do. but is there anything we can do?

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
What does she think she is sueing for?!
Broken leg? time off work due to injury? Trauma??! :D

She knew the set up when she arrived and decided that she would be ok with it. Besides your not responsible for health and safty on the yard. Your horses were there first and have never been a problem before have they?

She would get laughed out of court, not that it would get that far that is.