New hat standards ARGHH

soulfull

Visit site
While I would love them to totally phase out the EN 1384 and start with an entry level ASTM/PAS equivilant. they wont because 99.99% of vented hats are only EN1384

http://www.beta-uk.org/pages/news-amp-events/news/european-riding-helmet-standard-withdrawn.php

Someone please tell me I am wrong

but the way I read it is that it is highly likely ALL hats on sale right now will need to be replaced by 2016

Why? Because they are now compulsorily adding the CE mark Which is different to the Kitemark (some carry both)

'In future, CE-marked riding hats will have to be successfully tested and certified against an alternative specification to allow CE certification to continue. Companies can choose which they use and could include the new VG1 specification, the revised EN 1384 once published and PAS 015. Riding hats cannot be CE-marked solely to Snell, ASTM F1163 or AS/NZ 3838: 2006 without additional testing'

So CE will be the latest thing they all insist on (like they did kitemark) and it reads to me that current CE certificates are not going to be accepted without further testing, so it will become something like CE 2016

bounce

Visit site
I don't think All hats on sale are now affected, just the ones that only carry EN 1384.

Makes me very pleased that I chose the RXC1 which also has PAS015 and SNELL E2001 rather than purchasing a Uvex which felt very comfy but only has EN 1384.

soulfull

Visit site
I don't think All hats on sale are now affected, just the ones that only carry EN 1384.

Makes me very pleased that I chose the RXC1 which also has PAS015 and SNELL E2001 rather than purchasing a Uvex which felt very comfy but only has EN 1384.

yeah I to have Snell BUT they are also saying that hats currently tested to Snell astm etc cannot use this test to get a CE mark, well PC and RC already insist on kitemark surely they will want the new CE mark too?

soulfull

Visit site
I found the answer on the Q>A's

''My hat has two standards on the label, one of which is 1384. Is this ok to use for competitions?
Yes, provided that the other standard is approved by your riding organisation. If the hat has 1384 plus PAS015 then it will not be affected by this change. If it has any of the other existing standards such as Snell or ASTM F1163 then this is fine for the moment but since the CE mark may be based on the EN1384 standard these too in time may be affected by rule changes if you replace this hat with the same in the future.''

So I wonder why the PAS015 is ok but not the Snell or ASTM ?

soulfull

Visit site
is it because PAS is a european standard but snell/astm are american?

aha very likely. annoyingly the Snell is a higher standard than PAS but just because they want to change things it won't be acceptable. So all those of us that have PROtectors won't be able to wear them in competition. So it looks like mine will become my schooling hat :(

hannahgeorge

Visit site
I've just taken delivery this morning of a Gatehouse Conquest, which I intended to use in the dressage and sj phases at British Eventing competitions. BE have said that hats conforming to (BS)EN1384 only will not be allowed from 2016. This means I will only use the hat about 12 times next year! I've spoken to Gatehouse who have said that there's a lot of discussion going on in their office (I imagine the same discussion is being had by a lot of the manufacturers). They advised me to email the retailer, who will then get clarification from Gatehouse. I've asked to return the hat for a refund, although I'd rather not have to as I like the hat and have wanted one for ages!

Scarlett

Visit site
I'm so glad I read this before buying myself and my OH a new hat! I really fancied a Gatehouse Conquest or an UVEX, will hang off for a while and see how it all works out.....

Two Fs

Visit site
Rats!! Bought a Samshield earlier this year and looks like I won't be able to do BS in it after 2015. On the plus side it gives me an excuse to use it as my everyday hat, it's incredibly comfortable.

only_me

Visit site
Is the HSI skull cap still ok?

Am annoyed that the charles owen fiona is not allowed, I love it! Looks like going to have to replace it :(

Dusty85

Visit site
I also have a HS1, the gatehouse website says that it conforms to Snell E2001 and BSI kite marks. Doesn't mention anything else, so Im hoping that it will be ok?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I also have a HS1, the gatehouse website says that it conforms to Snell E2001 and BSI kite marks. Doesn't mention anything else, so Im hoping that it will be ok?

This is from a while ago: "The only riding helmet in the UK to pass all of these safety standards: SNELL E2001, PAS015 and BSEN1384.

SNELL E2001 is the highest manufacturer equestrian hat safety standard in the world and it includes a unique test that simulates a rider falling into a fence rail, or having a secondary hit by a horse's hoof.

Suitable for competition under FEI, Pony Club and HRA rules."

Really hope it's still allowed!

Dusty85

Visit site
Thanks EquiEquestrian556- mine is a couple of years old now, but that is the exact reason I bought it- because it had the highest standard at the time.

Whilst I accept its a couple of years old now it will still be a bit frustrating if its not allowed because of a 'technical' issue such as not being allowed because the testing was done in a different country or another equally as stupid reason.

Dusty85

Visit site
From the BE website:

The withdrawal of the standard has no effect on riding hats already on the market. Once a hat has been manufactured to a standard it will not become "non-standard" after withdrawal and can continue to be sold and worn. If riders have hats certified to the EN1384 they can continue to use them unless stated otherwise by rules of competition.

British Eventing will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
All hats will be retagged in 2016 at which stage no hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will be tagged or permitted for use.

I take this to mean the HS1 will be fine as it complies with other standards, not just the EN1384.

Last edited:

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
From the BE website:

The withdrawal of the standard has no effect on riding hats already on the market. Once a hat has been manufactured to a standard it will not become "non-standard" after withdrawal and can continue to be sold and worn. If riders have hats certified to the EN1384 they can continue to use them unless stated otherwise by rules of competition.

This is from BETA: http://www.beta-uk.org/pages/news-amp-events/news/european-riding-helmet-standard-withdrawn.php

soulfull

Visit site
From the BE website:

British Eventing will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
All hats will be retagged in 2016 at which stage no hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will be tagged or permitted for use.

I take this to mean the HS1 will be fine as it complies with other standards, not just the EN1384.

yes it can BUT once the new ruling comes in it won't be allowed!! A little misleading

HS1 should be fine as it is also PAS015.

dieseldog

Visit site
I wonder how many people are going to lose their jobs over this just before xmas. If I was a hat company I would be stopping production ASAP, how long does it take to design a new hat that will meet the standards, do you think any companies will go bust over this?

I have a Gatehouse Conquest :(