New hat standards ARGHH

MegaBeast

Visit site
As it's also got PAS015 & SNELL E2001, so hopefully should be fine!

Oh no!!!! does that mean my HS1 that i bought earlier this year especially for XC will be no good after next year?

Afraid that's not true, the HS1s don't have PAS015.

Also, I note that it's PAS015 (2011) not earlier that'll be allowed.

And in fairness, this was a drastic move to withdraw the standard and the hat manufacturers would have been unaware

khalswitz

Visit site
Afraid that's not true, the HS1s don't have PAS015.

Also, I note that it's PAS015 (2011) not earlier that'll be allowed.

And in fairness, this was a drastic move to withdraw the standard and the hat manufacturers would have been unaware

Wait, just read through the beta thing and no where was it mentioned that it was only 2011 onwards - as long as Pas015 then it gets the kite mark, which is the important thing? Where did u read 2011?

teapot

Visit site
Interesting that Megabeast has mentioned the PAS 2011 standard - just looked at my barely a month old Charles Owen, which is ASTM, BSEN 1384 2012 and PAS 015 2011.

The hat I replaced it with is just BSEN 1384 and PAS 015 with no date stamps. Plus the ASTM. Wonder if BETA will mention dates in any further press releases?

khalswitz

Visit site
Just read the BETA standards guide, and kite mark and CE mark are given to any PAS015, either 1998 or 2011, so at this stage either would be acceptable from 2016 under the new rules I believe. However, who knows whether there may be plans to downgrade the 1998 before then...

teapot

Visit site
Just read the BETA standards guide, and kite mark and CE mark are given to any PAS015, either 1998 or 2011, so at this stage either would be acceptable from 2016 under the new rules I believe. However, who knows whether there may be plans to downgrade the 1998 before then...

If they're wanting to up the standards of hats across the board, it wouldn't surprise me if they did scrap the older dated standards. In some ways I'll be grateful if they do, as someone who has to check hats at an RDA group...

Polar Bear9

Visit site
What?! We can't wear Protectors to compete?! D: Stuff that poop, I spent enough flipping money on my hat to get one with top safety standards

mil1212

Visit site
Here's the label in my HS1, it is 6 years old (and I am going to replace it now anyhow), but defo PAS015 (in this case 1998)

20141217_180704_zps9a11f2f0.jpg

khalswitz

Visit site
My Protector which is Snell has a CE mark in it, from reading this I think it will be ok for BS.

But the CE mark is linked to the safety rating, and SNELL doesn't rate a CE mark. So it depends on whether your CE mark comes from a BSEN standard or a PAS015 standard as to whether it will still technically be CE marked (because the BSEN will no longer rate a CE mark).

There is nothing stopping them getting snell tested hats etc tested under whatever the new CE thing is though?

That's what they've said, that there will likely be a lot of faff as they sort out which standards will be kite marked/CE marked now the main standard is begin stood down. Also, hats not previously tested to PAS015 for example may now be tested, and if the same model then retrospectively gain a new standard. So this isn't the final change!

I think this statement is a bit misleading as the one below clarifies it as only for 2 years, arguably you should change your hat anyway then but

Only two years for competition. There is no change to UK law, being that a child must wear a BSEN standard hat minimum on the road, for example, and the hats will still be safe to ride in for home, hacking etc... but the affiliated bodies make their own decisions about standards changing and what will accepted at competitions.

khalswitz

Visit site
yup I know only for competition.... but that is quite a lot of people!

Yes it is... but it won't affect unaffiliated competition, so that will rule out quite a lot of grassrootsy type people as well from worrying too much. I only did my first affiliated comps (whether BRC/BD/BE) this year, so the last however many years of riding wouldn't have been affected by this at all really!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
most unaffiliated competitions are run to 'BD/BE/BS/RC/PC rules' so they will be affected.

You might get away with it if there is no hat tagging (usually only eventing but have known it at RC area dressage too....)

khalswitz

Visit site
most unaffiliated competitions are run to 'BD/BE/BS/RC/PC rules' so they will be affected.

You might get away with it if there is no hat tagging (usually only eventing but have known it at RC area dressage too....)

BRC tags, as does PC and BE, but majority of unaff will never bother checking your hat... so won't make a diff to them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
So will there still be very lightweight, highly ventilated hats or will they not meet the new standards? I hate most riding hats.

So do I took me ages to buy a new one I had been wearing the same hat for about ten years but it started to smell really bad so had to do something about it.

Ella19

Visit site
I spoke to the uvex rep today at Olympia. They assured me that the hat will 've fine for 2016 it wwill just need returning to a supplier for a new sticker.

MiaBella

Visit site
I spoke to the uvex rep today at Olympia. They assured me that the hat will 've fine for 2016 it wwill just need returning to a supplier for a new sticker.

LOL so even though its not been tested against the PAS015 standard (else it would be labelled with that) and they don't know what the CE mark will be certified against, they are sure it will be fine? Thats a rather big assumption to be making as a rep!

I did notice the KEP stand looked quite busy with the PAS015 labels proudly on display, but that the fitters at Townfields didn't seem to be advising anyone of the change.

Clearly some people were aware of this back in November (and so the manufactorers and retailers should have been on the ball) This post was dated a month ago:
https://ntfmuse.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/confirmation-of-withdrawal-of-skull-cap-standard/

Gamebird

Visit site
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Given that it's over a year until the new standards are in place (and even longer until the 2016 BE season starts), then unless you've only just bought the hat, or are the best rider on the safest horse in the world, chances are you should be replacing your hat in that sort of timeframe anyway. Do none of you expect to have a fall in 2015? I'm blooming sure I will at some point.

I never used to replace my hat but had it sent back to the manufacturer and tested after an innocuous fall this autumn (one in which I didn't even think I'd hit my head). There was evidence of long term degradation of the foam lining coupled with a serious fresh crack from the fall. From a a completely minor fall.

I know hats are expensive (well the trendy ones are, amyway) but I seriously don't expect to be competing in 2016 in the same hat I'm wearing now. No way. So I'll just make sure that the next hat I buy complies with the standards. If a miracle happens and I don't come off in the next year (highly unlikely!) I'll relegate my current hat to home use and get a nice fancy new hat for competing next Christmas. It's no great stress.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
doesnt affect me personally as show hat complies but if you already have a home hat and have just spent over £500 on a show hat i can see it would be very stressful!

i dont think many people will be expecting to take a tumble at a show really, so the fall argument is going to affect only a tiny %.

I dont expect to replace my show hat for ages now, it cost a bomb, thats why it gets saved for shows!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
GB - whilst I fully expect to go splat between now and 2016 these days the heaviest bit of me is my butt and touch wood that's what I usually land on :p so having literally bought a new hat on Friday and not worn it at all yet it's just a bit gutting.

Gamebird

Visit site
I guess I live in a world where hats cost ~ £100, not £500!

I'm a bit bottom heavy too LL ;) but I'm afraid seeing the foam inside my hat all cracked (having never had a bad fall) has convinced me that I must hit my head occasionally, even if I don't notice at the time.

Wheels

Visit site
Oh goodie, now I can use my lovely plush velvet hat at home then as I'll need a new one in a just over a year, great excuse to go shopping :)

My home hat would be ok anyway RXC1

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Given that it's over a year until the new standards are in place (and even longer until the 2016 BE season starts), then unless you've only just bought the hat, or are the best rider on the safest horse in the world, chances are you should be replacing your hat in that sort of timeframe anyway. Do none of you expect to have a fall in 2015? I'm blooming sure I will at some point.

I never used to replace my hat but had it sent back to the manufacturer and tested after an innocuous fall this autumn (one in which I didn't even think I'd hit my head). There was evidence of long term degradation of the foam lining coupled with a serious fresh crack from the fall. From a a completely minor fall.

I know hats are expensive (well the trendy ones are, amyway) but I seriously don't expect to be competing in 2016 in the same hat I'm wearing now. No way. So I'll just make sure that the next hat I buy complies with the standards. If a miracle happens and I don't come off in the next year (highly unlikely!) I'll relegate my current hat to home use and get a nice fancy new hat for competing next Christmas. It's no great stress.

I know I'm tempting fate here but I've only fallen off my horse once in 9.5 years but we don't do a lot of jumping but we do hack a lot. I bought my GC purely for dressage comps so would not wear it that often. It replaced a 9 year old Charles Owen Kids black velvet cap. I've used it twice and it seems that might be it as my horse is recovering from an op and unlikely to compete in the next year if ever. Ironically the cheap on sale Champion ventair skull cap I bought at the same time for hacking etc. seems to be fully compliant.

Flame_

Visit site
GB - whilst I fully expect to go splat between now and 2016 these days the heaviest bit of me is my butt and touch wood that's what I usually land on :p so having literally bought a new hat on Friday and not worn it at all yet it's just a bit gutting.

Couldn't you take it back if you'e not worn it yet?

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Possibly Flame_ but it took nearly 2 hours of fiddling to get any hat to fit me, and to be fair on the retailer I could fall off next week and need a new one anyway.
I've contacted Gatehouse to see if they're planning (or indeed are able) to do any rebadging but haven't heard anything back yet. Plus... I don't like the huge hats - the alternatives make me look like some sort of lollipop :p