New hat standards ARGHH

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
so did i :(
i specifically said it needed to meet BE standards , does anyone know when these hat companys would have known this rule change was coming in ?
i bought my hat off a UVEX rep at an open day and i'm not at all happy :(

I think it came in today, so the hat company wouldn't of known.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
From the BE website:

The withdrawal of the standard has no effect on riding hats already on the market. Once a hat has been manufactured to a standard it will not become "non-standard" after withdrawal and can continue to be sold and worn. If riders have hats certified to the EN1384 they can continue to use them unless stated otherwise by rules of competition.

I think this statement is a bit misleading as the one below clarifies it as only for 2 years, arguably you should change your hat anyway then but :p

British Eventing will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
All hats will be retagged in 2016 at which stage no hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will be tagged or permitted for use.

I take this to mean the HS1 will be fine as it complies with other standards, not just the EN1384.

MegaBeast

Visit site
To me it just sounds like the hats will be same, however there will be a new standard.

The identical thing happened in 1997 when BS4472 was withdrawn. I'd just bought (well, been bought, I was a kid) a Champion Euro which had BS4472 certification. After the standard change, Champion ran a massive advertising campaign on the back of Your Horse saying they'd been ahead of the market and their Euro jockey skull already complied with the new standard so I went in to John Ayres (luckily live near the makers) and asked to have a new lining which reflected the new standard which they actually did. I then had a hat, which whilst was pre-1997, because it was a technicality change and the hat did meet the new standard without any modifications it was thus labelled as such so I had no trouble using it.

ETA a lot can happen between now and 2016, I doubt hats will be withdrawn, just tested against a new standard. Which by the sound of it, will not be that different from the current one so modern hats, especially if they meet non-EU standards will almost certainly comply.

I guess a lot of us will be schooling at home in posh hats! But no reason not to assume can't replace like with like.

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
Annoying. I do love my Fiona - it's very comfortable. Have recently bought an HS1 too. Will have to get plenty of use out of them this season!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Unless you need a hat urgently I'd hold off for the new standard. Not least because PAS015 is a pretty old standard now and could well be superceded in not too distant a future once the new EN standard is on the market. I'd be wanting to future proof any non-essential purchase as far as possible. If essential, then buy one with PAS015 and you'll be fine for at least the next two years if not significantly longer.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I bought a Champion Euro Deluxe (the skull cap one with velvet harness/ chin strap etc) this year. It meets the current BS standard and was tagged by BE, but I guess this means I can't use it in 2016... annoying since I tried on pretty much every make and model of hat, and this was the only one that fit me!!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Surely the hat companies must of known about this in advance?

I think I have a caldene prestige for Christmas. It apparently is bsi kitemark does that make a difference?

georgiegirl

Visit site
From my understanding of British riding club rules uvex will still be ok as they are ASTM standard hats?? Yes the still have the BSEN standard but because they have another which is on the 'approved' list then that's ok? Unless I've read the ruling incorrectly?

I so hope I don't have to replace my lovely dressage hat :(

soulfull

Visit site
I bought a Champion Euro Deluxe (the skull cap one with velvet harness/ chin strap etc) this year. It meets the current BS standard and was tagged by BE, but I guess this means I can't use it in 2016... annoying since I tried on pretty much every make and model of hat, and this was the only one that fit me!!
Yiu need to see what standard it is if it is pass15 then you wiĺl be ok
Surely the hat companies must of known about this in advance?

I think I have a caldene prestige for Christmas. It apparently is bsi kitemark does that make a difference?

Sorry nope it's still only a 1384

khalswitz

Visit site
So I take it my Champion Ventair skull (not the new deluxes, two years old now) is ok, being a PAS015:1998 standard? But my Junior X-Air riding hat is not, being only BSEN1384? (For BRC, obviously I don't use the peaked hat for eventing).

Also, is it just BE and BRC who have announced this so far?

soulfull

Visit site
So I take it my Champion Ventair skull (not the new deluxes, two years old now) is ok, being a PAS015:1998 standard? But my Junior X-Air riding hat is not, being only BSEN1384? (For BRC, obviously I don't use the peaked hat for eventing).

Also, is it just BE and BRC who have announced this so far?

Correct on the hats but BD and BS also

EstherYoung

Visit site
Are the ASTM hats ok? They are stamped CE and deemed to be 1384 equivalent I think, even if their actual protection is more like a PAS015. If they're not, then it rules out most of our vented hats which are US imports....

Last edited:

georgiegirl

Visit site
As far as I can interpret it it's only hats which have JUST BSEN which won't be allowed....if your hat conforms to snell, pas or ASTM then they should be fine?

Would be great to get clarification on this

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Hope PROtectors will still be allowed. Spent just short of £400 on mine a few months ago. As far as i was aware, the PROtecs was meant to be like the highest standard of safety, which is why i got one. Leading me to think this is nothing but a money making scheme for the right companies.

wally

Visit site
I have a Gatehouse Conquest for dressage which looking at this will be ok for BE, BSJA etc for 2015 but defunct after...
Bit naughty of hat companies not to give people plenty of warning and just before Christmas is a bit dirty too...!

Here is the link to Pony Club website which also outlines other disciplines strategies too.. http://www.pcuk.org/index.php/news/...strian_riding_helmet_standard_to_be_withdrawn

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Another one with a Gatehouse Conquest which I bought 8 months ago and have used twice due to horse injury. I've not looked at it's rating recently but from comments on here it sounds likely that I'll never wear it again as current horse is unlikely to be competing again in the near future if ever.

What a total waste of money. I know standards have to improve but it sounds like hat companies will be raking it in when people have to fork out yet again for new hats which these days are a big investment.

rara007

Visit site
Gah! I like my Fiona :( Mad as that fits me well, I have some nearly vintage gr8s that are now too big that I could wear instead which would be legal but much less safe!

LFD

Visit site
I have a Gatehouse Pegasus which I use for the DR and SJ @ BE and I love it - looks like I'll need to replace it for 2016 :-( Sad times