New horse is very unpredictable

Maisiestack

New User
Visit site
I got my new horse last Wednesday and he had to travel 9 hours from Ireland. He is a 6 year old straight of the track thoroughbred. I already have another ex racer who is now 15 and had no problems with him and he settled straight away, however my new horse keeps having dangerous outbursts. It’s almost as if he gets that upset or panicked he goes into flight mode. We have had a couple of these experiences when I put him in this stable he just got that wound up he kicked a hole in the side, when we had the farrier he got so upset about his tool trolly, my farrier had to come back another day to finish him because he was about to go off, when I tried to long rein him because I went behind him and the lunge line touched his hindquarters and the most recent one(last night early morning) he had a freak out while in his field because it rained and thundered( he is used to not having any turn out from where he came from). I can tell his a lovely, sweet, quiet boy but I just want him to relax and for him to know it’s okay. He can be shy at first and be unsure when you approach him and you have to do everything very slowly or he gets scared. I’ve just learnt that he came from not the most brilliant racing yard and then a week in the sales and then to me which was a long journey for him. Has anyone got any recommendations to help him settle and have trust in people again

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm not suprised he's anxious, been torn from all he knows, travelled a long distance and no doubt trying desperately hard to try and work out where he fits in to everything.

I'd say the best thing to do with this type of horse is to crack on with him in terms of riding him. If he's straight off the track he will be very fit and full of pent up energy.

Where people go wrong is to feel sorry for the horse, give it loads of food, not enough work or stimuation. I'm not saying that this is the case with you as i dont know you.

If he's unpredictable to ride I'd get someone to ride him for you for a bit, someone familiar with this type of work, cut out all hard feed and turn him out as much as you can to burn off his energy.

He sounds a lovely sort, I'm sure he will settle in quickly. Wishing you many happy years together.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
whereas I'd say, as he's come straight from the training yard, perhaps he would appreciate some downtime to adjust to his new life, just some quiet comings and goings, pottering about with no expectations from him, allow him get used to his new friend, being turned out, new people handling him and a new atmosphere.

My TB that came from the trainer took a good few months to properly chill out and learn to be a pet, some horses you have to go at their pace and let them warm to you in their own time rather than trying to make them accept you.

Arzada

Visit site
Wow your horse has had a upheaval of a fortnight. One week of it you shared with him but his experiences in the previous week are unknown to you.

You've tried cracking on and it hasn't worked for him. You've had fight and flight in one week. I agree with milliepops, slow it all down to a scared horse's pace and let him acclimatize, get to know you, come to understand what is expected of him in his new home. If he is turned out with your calm, knows the ropes horse then he will soon realise that weather happens.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
If he will settle in the field 24/7 and you can give him some company (in his field) I'd do that. Just give him some time to settle with a bit of handling in the field. Dont expect too much. Long reining within the first few days after all the changes hes been through was a recipe for disaster.

From your other thread he's stabled alone at night, that's a big thing to ask an exracer straight from the track. He'll always of had company at a racing stables.

Hes also on individual turnout, he'd probably settle better with a mate.

I wouldnt underestimate how much his world has turned upside down over the past weeks. Take it far slower.

spacefaer

Visit site
Back in the day, retired racehorses used to have a year in the field to learn to be horses again, and allow any low level soundness niggles to settle.

While no one nowadays has the time or patience to do that, I do think you need to give him a bit of time to settle and relax into a completely new way of life.

He may never have longreined before - it's not something I would contemplate with a fit racehorse to be honest.

Personally, I'd put him in a field for at least a month and let him take a deep breath. I appreciate you want to get gim going, but you are going to have to listen to him and let him dictate the pace somewhat or you are setting both of you up to get hurt. .

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Don’t lunge or long rein, just crack on and ride. Long, quiet, boring rides at walk to start letting him down. I’m assuming he has company in the field, so give him 24/7 turnout with that company. Give him a routine, keep things quiet and simple and I’m sure within the month you’ll have a different horse.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
If he was not straight off the track and had already had an introduction to a normal riding horse life I would agree just get on him and get on with it so he knows the score.

I would definitely turn him away if he has come direct to you from racing. Give him at least 6 weeks turned out with a nice steady companion - perhaps just catch him up every day give him scratch and a carrot or two then turn him back with his field mate. He needs time to totally chill down and reset his mindset and stress levels. An accident waiting to happen if you try and rush him through this stage IMO.