new horse

snooples

Visit site
So everyone else always has lovely pics of their new horse so I thought Id show ye the new one im going to be riding for someone to sell on! I hate cobs but its a favour im doing so have to ride him!
Hes been out of work a year but has never done much, aim is to get him eventing 90s and then sell him!!

Any ideas how to fix this....

ugh so annyoing with the new hho my photos dont seem to embed

9416075017_15e1bdd24a.jpg
[/url] DSC_0190 by snooples17, on Flickr[/IMG]

snooples

Visit site
There is so much wrong with him, I think he is going to be quite the project horse! Hes so fat Im not sure how im going to get a girth big enough to fit him ha
And that mane, I dont even know where to start!!!

Riding him for the first time saturday, going to be interesting Id say,

_GG_

Visit site
You do know his mane has been plaited so he's about to be stolen don't you :wink3:

He looks lovely and I agree...I bet he will win you over to the point you shed many tears for him one day.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Clip him out and get rid of the mane if its as matted as it looks. And get some better "before" pics, you will regret it when he is "after" and looking fab :)

snooples

Visit site
haha Id love to have seen anyone get within 100 metres of him when he was in the field but Il cut it out tomorrow to spoil their clever plan :p
His owner wants to keep his mane like it is, but Im having none of it, imagine how long id be plaiting before dressage!!

Il get some good pics of him now sat as he only came into the stable sunday night and im working late all week so only been popping over to feed my own horse and took those pics of him!

snooples

Visit site
At least he doesnt have feathers anyway or I couldnt go near him ha

I put my own horses bridle on him yesterday just to see if it fits as I like the bit, and you should have seen the look of disgust on his face when he saw me come in with a bridle! I think he will faint when I come in with a saddle

Hopefully Il be able get a good riding club home for him, he will only be a couple of hundred euro as he is just going to waste here and its a shame!

Arizahn

Visit site
Nothing wrong with a long mane, just comb it through, brush it and baby oil it! Look lovely in one of those latticey type plaits.

<doesn't know the right name for them but they are very pretty>

gadetra

Visit site
Feel your pain re the cob riding! I am not a fan of a lollipy canter. My first horse was a cob and put me off them for life!
He looks traditional enough, if he was trimmed would he show? Maybe he will be one of those speedy sport cobs-a super cob!!
I'm sure two girths put together will get round him :tongue3:

Ah no I'm sure he will be a total dote, and you'll miss him when he is gone. Think of how comfy he will be :wink3:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yeah yeah.... Its always the ones who say they dislike cobs who end up with a little herd of them having sold all the scrawny Tb's ;)
He has a sweet face actually....I kinda like him!

snooples

Visit site
Oh god the combination of showing and a cob is too much for me! The two things I dislike in the horse world :)
wildwest I actually don't have much Info on him only that he's ten and owner is keen for him to go before winter as he has 14 horses but only 5 stables!! Il be over with him tomorrow and try and find out more about him

snooples

Visit site
I decided to try a quick running plait on him today, Iv never done one before, I had nothing to brush out his matted mane and it only took me 3 mins but Im definately going to keep trying and do a proper one tomorrow to keep the hideous mane out of the way until I convince the owner to let me hack it off!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/94091423@N04/9425365842/] 1-DSC_0194 by snooples17, on Flickr[/URL]

CalllyH

Visit site
He definatley needs a nice short tidy mane, well done on the attempt though but I'm with you on it needs to go. I'd be interested to see hs progress, keep us updated

snooples

Visit site
D-day for riding him is coming close, im nervous seeing as its been over a year since hes been sat on but also slightly excited! Hes been stabled for the last 5 days, just to get excess fat off, get new shoes and just generally get used to being handled again so no doubt he will be full of energy tomorrow!

Here is a proper close up pic of the mane
Before I cut it though Im defo going to use it to take a pic of myself with lovely blonde hair :D

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/94091423@N04/9426176222/] DSC_0177 by snooples17, on Flickr[/URL]

snooples

Visit site
I think he is the type to be hogged too but seeing as Im only getting him ready to sell, Il prob leave that up to whoever buys him!

There is a ODE down the road in 3 weeks, obvioulsy he wont be in any shape to do the full thing but hopefully Il have him resepctble enough to do the dressage!

*Toddles off to get an industrial size bucket of shampoo to start this makeover*

ridefast

Visit site
I don't think you should hog but he'd definitely look better with a trim and tidy up, maybe slowly pull his mane bit by bit so the owner doesn't notice. He doesn't look proper traditional to me, more of a cob x, looks like when he's fit and tidy he could be quite a nice horse

Spring Feather

Visit site
I wouldn't hog him, I'd pull the mane and shorten it to make it tidy, but only with the agreement of the owner. I sell a lot of horses for other people and no way would I do anything to change their appearance unless the owner asked me to. I think the horse looks a nice useful sort, I wouldn't really class him as a cob tbh, more a 'sporthorse' type once he's all tidied up.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
keep me posted please and please dont cut his mane :{
i am seriously interested but not hogged .

Oooh - I hope you view him and like him in the flesh. :)

I agree about the mane. Hogging looks smart, but I don't want to own a hogged horse myself (yes I'm nuts and I *need* to grab the mane when I mount - I have my reasons for this quirk though).

NeverForEver

twitter.com
Aw he looks lovely, cobs are misunderstood sometimes, people look at them and expect quiet plods but most are quite the opposite with generous personalities. I have a 14.3hh cob, a bit less heavy than this one, and he is the most hot-headed, excitable, forward going and just generally lovely horse I've ever had!

Oh please don't get rid of the beautiful big mane, it's a cob's best feature :) The brilliant thing with them is that they can and will do anything for you, they're not big flashy eventers but that doesn't mean he won't go far!

I'm sure he'll come on leaps and bounds and he may even surprise you hehe. Best of luck with him.

snooples

Visit site
Dont worry spring feather, he is at the owners place and we always talk about what needs to be done!
He definately isnt a pure cob but not entirely sure what he is. He was born in Coolmore stud, yep THE coolmore stud, but I think what happens up there is they keep a couple of mares that they breed to average stallions so if anything happens to the mother of an expensive foal they have back up mares. So this happened and poor ***** (yes thats his name :O) and he ended up down with the owner who had a foster mare for him. Just noticed when I previewed the post they have starred out his name! We will just call him P

We are still waiting for P to be shod so just hopped straight up on him today, no lunging or anything. He stood fine, walked when asked and backed up when asked. I then walked him around the arena and up a track behind the arena. Il do the same tomorrow and hopefully he will get shoes monday or tuesday and we can do a bit of trotting.
I then gave him a bath and general tidy up and he was very good to stand during this and picked out all his feet too. He definately needs more tidying but as they say Rome wasnt bult in a day ;)

Anyway here are two pics of him today, first is him with his tack on and the second is after his bath. I always tie up with twine but just threw the leadrope over the bar for a quick photo today and it would come away if he pulled, just if anyones wondering!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/94091423@N04/9427097599/] 1-IMG_0764 by snooples17, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/94091423@N04/9429831544/] 1-IMG_0771 by snooples17, on Flickr[/URL]