New loading problem

Visit site
Hello,

I am a first time horse owner and I have recently come across a blip with my boy.

We've been out and about multiple times and he walks straight in and out and travels perfect. I drive extra slow and steady to ensure he hopefully never has a bad travelling experience.

During the week we met up with a friend who used to be at the yard and horse used to be out with mine.

Leaving the beach, Her horse would not load, so mine saw that and for the first time ever would not load.

He was also very attached to this horse. We eventually got him in and he stood kicking, and stamping in the trailer... for the first time ever.

Once we started moving he travelled perfect, was calm when home and unloaded perfectly.

However, now he just will not load. After this one event.

I really don't know what to do as we never had an issue until now.

I do personally believe he is being opportunistic and has now seen another horse not load so has decided he won't either now...

Any help/ advice very gratefully received.

holeymoley

Visit site
Sounds like a bit of separation anxiety? They didn’t want to leave each other, can be common if they travel alone.

View

Visit site
Back to the beginning. Lots of patience. The trailer needs to be a safe, happy place for him. So feed in the trailer. When he loads calmly, load and unload multiple times until it is boring. Repeat multiple days.

If you are not confident, can you get a behaviour based trainer in to coach you and your horse?

Visit site
Back to the beginning. Lots of patience. The trailer needs to be a safe, happy place for him. So feed in the trailer. When he loads calmly, load and unload multiple times until it is boring. Repeat multiple days.

If you are not confident, can you get a behaviour based trainer in to coach you and your horse?

That sounds like great advice , thank you.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I‘ve posted this advice before but it is worth repeating because it was so effective for me and my 17hh 800k ISH. The Michael Peace method; Instead of asking the horse to get into the trailer ask him to take just one step towards the ramp and as soon as he does relax the rope and give praise and a scratch/pat and repeat. Quite honestly before I tried it I thought it was stupid and rewarding bad behaviour and I was astounded when my horse loaded without the usual fuss and stress.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

I‘ve posted this advice before but it is worth repeating because it was so effective for me and my 17hh 800k ISH. The Michael Peace method; Instead of asking the horse to get into the trailer ask him to take just one step towards the ramp and as soon as he does relax the rope and give praise and a scratch/pat and repeat. Quite honestly before I tried it I thought it was stupid and rewarding bad behaviour and I was astounded when my horse loaded without the usual fuss and stress.

agree with both of these, don't panic OP, this won't be a new problem that lasts forever, it's a minor inconvenience for now. Don't start a big confrontation - don't start anything at all if you have any time pressures because they always pick up on any time-related anxiety the handler has. getting help from a really good trainer would be worthwhile if you are unsure how to address it.