New Look H & H

MerryMystie

New User
Visit site
Having struggled, for the 2nd week running, to read this weeks "new look" H & H, with it's ridiculously small print, hideous font styles and unclear layout, I, like many others, have decided that I will not be renewing my subscription when it is due in May. Bit of a shame really as I used to look forward to receiving my copy on a Thursday. It's now far too difficult to read and not enjoyable, despite the mainly good content.
Why change what wasn't broke :(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Poor Nicola! What's wrong with her face? Seriously, I've just got the last episode of the old format and opened it at both articles and results pages, and I can't see any difference in font sizes. The results are tiny on both editions, except at least they're in bold font in the new style magazine.

paintbrush7

New User
Visit site
What was wrong with the original font? The new one is awful and difficult to read. H&H has lost it's clarity of print and frankly is just cheap looking!

hattie2525

Visit site
The new layout is awful! I find the new font very hard to read, I struggle to see on first glance what each article is about as the 'title' is often not clear and the general look is confused and muddled. The fact that this weeks (23rd April) issue has a full on fashion photo shoot in it complete with scared looking models and cheesy location made me genuinely angry. This is a well respected magazine read by professionals for latest news, relevant features and results, they need to stop trying to turn it into a shallow 'mag' akin to a sunday paper supplement!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Sorry H&H, but I also don't really like the new layout. I didn't have a problem with the size of the font, but found the overall layout quite hard to follow. I personally liked it how it was, before you changed it. I have been reading your magazines for years.

paintbrush7

New User
Visit site
What was wrong with the original font? The new one is awful and difficult to read. H&H has lost it's clarity of print and frankly is just cheap looking!
The heading for articles is not clear and generally the beginning of the issue is a mess and why change the Whyte Melville caption?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Most changes to anything result in storms of protest! What I didn't like was the contrast in the huge, all page photos, and the tiny, weeny ones you could hardly see - particularly as there was someone I know in one of the tiny ones. New editors always want to put their stamp on things, I guess it will settle down. Seemed to be pages and pages of dressage though. I know it is early in the season for other things, but don't forget driving, trec, breed specific things.

Evie91

Visit site
Another subscriber who doesn't like the new layout. I know it's been stated paper quality is still the same but with an old and new version side by side the newer seems much thinner and cheaper.
I don't like the new font and layout and I think the print is more difficult to read.
More like a cheap Sunday supplement than quality magazine.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Opened it up and went WHAT? My eyesight isn't what it was and I found the new font a struggle. Now decided that I won't be buying it any more and taken out a subscription to another magazine instead.

legend22

Visit site
This!
I disagree- I've been enjoying reading it more and more. Some good content lately, and far more grown up than Your Horse etc.

Seems a shame to stop buying it because of a font- especially when it seems hh are keen to take criticism on board and change it.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think we all struggle with change. I do find the new font odd and all black and white makes it look like things are adverts when if you read them they aren't. If H&H are going to adress the font size then I will stick with it. Good articles.

Hetsmum

Visit site
I have always looked forward to H&H but it has started to be more and more like tabloid garbage. Sorry font is rubbish. Show reports for which I had to hunt to find out which show they were referring to where it was in the smallest font ever. Tabloid headline - sorry can't stand. Cheap and nasty where before was classy and well written. And sorry but I don't want a fashion magazine - if I want to see skimpy models in clothes I would buy a fashion magazine. :(

frostyfingers

Visit site
I thought it interesting that there was no reference to the changes in this week's magazine......and no explanation as to why it was changed in the first place either.

I still think it looks tacky and a bit like one of the free magazines or papers that you get thrown at you in London.

Something else which irritates me - why are the reports and results on showing, showjumping and dressage so plentiful, yet pointing only gets a couple of pages (although I will admit this seems to have increased a little in the new version)? As a pointing fan I feel a little short changed.

Hope you're reading this H&H editors?

horsebenny

Visit site
New look doesn't work for me. It feels like they are trying to dumb it down and compete with the other horsey mags on the market. If 'fashion spreads' is what you are after they are carried in the monthly horsey mags. What I liked about H&H is that it was more newsy than the others. Still, it's all about making money in the end, isn't it?

conniegirl

Visit site
They wont be making much money if people stop buying it!
I wont be buying it, I dont see the point in paying for something that gives me a headache when trying to read it or that the font is so small I cant read it!
I hate the new lay out,
I hate The new font,
I hate the black and white
I hate how cheap tha magazine now looks!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Is this the end of H and H magazine?

The cynic in me wonders if that is the ulterior motive for the changes? In other words, p^ss everyone off with the print version such that you then can argue the economics of withdrawing it totally and forcing everyone to subscribe to an on-line version?

Amicus

Visit site
I disagree- I've been enjoying reading it more and more. Some good content lately, and far more grown up than Your Horse etc.

Seems a shame to stop buying it because of a font- especially when it seems hh are keen to take criticism on board and change it.

Agreed not a regular buying but compared to all the other mags on the market it leagues ahead much prefer equine news to repetitive articles on confidence, horse shampoo and the rest.

Monkers

Visit site
Well, I like it! I think it's modern and less cluttered. And yes, I'm middle aged and yes, I need to put my reading glasses on. The font in places is a bit small but apart from that I think it's a positive change.

JDH01

Visit site
I am a regular reader and will stick with it but the articles are not in depth enough and the font size in the results was too small to read even in my reading glasses. Paper needs sorting as well.

woodlandswow

Visit site
No one likes change, H&H needs to move with the times, I like the new content and the variety - not sure of the layout, like the pictures (don't have an issue with font size) - but at least use photos that won't pixelate when blown up to double page size

madmav

Visit site
Also need to sort their distribution out. Second week in a row it's been out of stock in two big supermarkets I tried to buy it at.

ozpoz

Visit site
I don't mind the layout - it is the content that is not what it was and continues to disappoint. Why, oh why, do we get reports on every discipline but very rarely a mention of sire/dam of the horses.
That is the change I have come to hate over the years.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, I like it! I think it's modern and less cluttered. And yes, I'm middle aged and yes, I need to put my reading glasses on. The font in places is a bit small but apart from that I think it's a positive change.

I'm with you actually. At first I found the font a little jarring, but when I stopped being a grump about the change and actually read it, I found it cleaner and easier to read.

For those who want a really broad overview of what's happening in the equestrian community (pointing, hunting, eventing, dressage, showjumping and showing - with some other bonus bits), I think it's still the only magazine that delivers.

P

frostyfingers

Visit site
Just had this week's edition delivered - first thing I noticed is a shinier, heavier cover page (not had time to read anything yet), second thing I noticed is that the price has gone from £2.70 to £2.99. Cheeky blighters, although it doesn't affect me atm as I'm on a long term subscription, the relaunch should have said "new look, new price"!