Pictures New owner/rider check in

bonnysmum

Visit site
Lovely thread! I'm meant to be working but I thought I'd chip in.

This is my new Welsh mare. I suppose you'd call her a mother/daughter share except I don't ride :oops: so she's really my daughter's. Are groundwork/handling lessons (only) a thing?!

She's beautiful and intelligent and, erm, bolshy. She's an ex riding school pony, but not so much of the ex at the moment as we're currently keeping her at the school on working livery while we gain experience and while she adjusts to having a new person. She's blossoming already with my daughter but I'm told she's becoming harder to handle by the RS staff, to the point I was asked if we were tempting her with treats (we're not, having been roundly warned off that right at the start!).

I have a feeling this is going to be a long road with lots of ups and downs, but my daughter's confidence is growing by the day and I really hope in the end we'll have made a massive diffference to *two* beautiful souls.

IMG_4639 (2).JPG

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh i can do a puppy pic as well. The monster is 10 weeks old (god has it only been two weeks, lol!) We adore her. Our older collie is starting to adore her .. the cats are rather unimpressed but have started to fight back now thankfully. She is the devil and totally amazing :D

Attachments

• millie small.jpg
    millie small.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 42
  • small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 46
  • patio small.jpg
    patio small.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 45

J&S

Visit site
Oh Antw23uk, so jealous of your collie puppy. We lost ours about three years ago and my OH is really dragging his feet about letting us have another.

Peglo

Visit site
Proud mum moment!
we went a hack early this morning, just to the beach and back, BY OURSELVES!!! ?
I haven’t had her out by herself ridden for while as she was just so unsettled so we’ve been hacking with our field mate and walking in hand ourselves. But today as it was so beautiful we tried it and I think she actually enjoyed it! I had to get off to get her on the beach but once on it she was happy and even went through the streams!
and of course you can’t take a pony on the beach and not have a canter! ?

Attachments

• 91E800DE-837B-48A8-BF64-D165A8D6A2E0.jpeg
    91E800DE-837B-48A8-BF64-D165A8D6A2E0.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 37

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Your horses are gorgeous. Great stories everyone. Also love the Covid puppies!

Baby Ace is huge :eek:. I have an Arab, looks like a wee pony compared to him.

Red-1, that's a beautiful story. If I had the space and time, I would adopt all unwanted animals of the world. Unfortunately, I live in a very small city flat with a cat that tolerates no other animals.

I also learned a new word here. "Jesus strap". That's just what it is!

My Covid buy I didn't buy so much because of Covid, but rather because I got a new job mid-Covid, because of which I could at last afford to buy a horse. I bought him when he was two, he's three now. We do groundwork and long walks, he learns quickly. Won't be backed before he's four or older, but we're having loads of fun.

Pic of said young man:

Amir voor DSC_3017.jpg

Last edited:

Sealine

Visit site
I'm really enjoying reading about your new horses and puppies. As an owner of a 19 year old horse and an elderly GSD with no plans to replace either it makes me a feel a bit jealous and maudlin. Please continue to share your journey's as I love reading about them and seeing you all flourish.

(I just read that back and I sound like my long departed grandmother :p)

Wishfilly

Visit site
Probably not the best photo ever (he's looking a bit scruffy)- I've had Blue for about 9 months now and over the summer it feels a bit like we are finally clicking. Over the past 9 months, things have been a bit stop/start- especially having a long break when I had no saddle for him. But we have got going again, and he is feeling really good at the moment. I feel like we are more of a partnership now- like we are starting to relax and trust each other more (on both sides).

He is 8, but hasn't seen much of life. Doing lots of hacking at the moment which we both very much enjoy (fortunately he is rock solid in traffic) and just going for occasional short sessions in the school. He did a lovely canter in the school today, which feels like real progress, and then a far more excited one round the farm with a friend!

I don't have transport, so options for getting out and about are limited, but I'm hoping to keep our progress going when I'm back at work (I'm a teacher, so things are a bit trickier in term time).

Blue sunshine resize.jpg

[59668]

Visit site
He looks like a sweet boy. Interesting what you say about feeling like more of a partnership, it does take time doesn’t it?! I’ve had a few horses but have had Finn for 6/7 years now and have forgotten some of that ‘new horse’ experience.
This is so true. I forgot how much of a stranger a new horse feels. And you look back on the previous horses with rose tinted glasses....forgetting there were probably bumps in the road

Caol Ila

Visit site
I ended up with three. Nothing to do with COVID, just f*cked up timing. My 28 year old horse, who I had for almost 21 years, was struggling quite a bit this winter with on-and-off lameness, so I thought it would be a good time to get a youngster, with the view that Gypsum would rally in the spring. I bought the youngster, a two-year old PRE, but Gypsum did not rally. :( She got worse and I had to retire her completely. I wasn't happy not having a ridable horse, so I decided that whenever I had to make that call for Gypsum, I would get something ridable, maybe a project to sell on once the PRE could be backed. I was suffering a severe case of 'one last summer syndrome' and doing everything I could for Gypsum, but she was getting increasingly ataxic in the back end, so I was waiting for the barn to call me and tell me she'd fallen and couldn't get up. She also looked like an SSPCA case no matter what I fed her, and the spring grass didn't do a damned thing. I made that awful call.

On the day I put her to sleep, I went out for cuddles with the baby PRE and immediately thought she looked suspicious. Sometimes, you just look at a horse and think, "Oh....no." Two days later, the vet confirmed that she was in foal and due that week. You can't write this sh*t. And she did, in fact, foal that week. Luckily, it was a smooth, uncomplicated birth, and she had a strong, healthy colt. There were some weeks of panic -- especially when the mare decided she would not be caught, ever -- but the foal ended up with a buyer (my best friend), the YO wasn't charging me livery for two horses, and I realised I could still buy my riding horse, so I started that search.

As we all know, the market is terrible. Especially on a limited budget. Really, the timing could not have sucked more. I found a 10-year unregistered Highland, green as bloody grass with a bit of a complex about arenas, who'd been feral until he was 7/8-ish. But he was pretty and had a lovely nature, so I bought him. Was I going to do better with 4k? Probably not. He's been fantastic. Today, he found a faint path through a bog, scrambled over a stone wall (no pics...both OH and I were too busy asking ourselves, 'Is this stupid?' to take them, but the pony is clever and handy with his feet), and navigated over a couple bridges. Eventually, I'll tackle the arena issues but I can't be bothered schooling right now, and he shines on the trails.IMG_0631.JPGIMG_0644.JPGIMG_0705.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Lottie is my ‘unseen from Ireland’ purchase. Very, very early days but I’m feeling positive about her.

Amber has scanned in foal too and has just come home. She recognised Dolly immediately so we had a sweet Friends Reunited moment. So I’ve got 2 Covid newbies.

38F0FA72-DAAD-40ED-9F58-6F660B661726.jpg

A10044DB-7416-4AE4-8560-33AABED5D797.jpg

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I ended up with three. Nothing to do with COVID, just f*cked up timing. My 28 year old horse, who I had for almost 21 years, was struggling quite a bit this winter with on-and-off lameness, so I thought it would be a good time to get a youngster, with the view that Gypsum would rally in the spring. I bought the youngster, a two-year old PRE, but Gypsum did not rally. :( She got worse and I had to retire her completely. I wasn't happy not having a ridable horse, so I decided that whenever I had to make that call for Gypsum, I would get something ridable, maybe a project to sell on once the PRE could be backed. I was suffering a severe case of 'one last summer syndrome' and doing everything I could for Gypsum, but she was getting increasingly ataxic in the back end, so I was waiting for the barn to call me and tell me she'd fallen and couldn't get up. She also looked like an SSPCA case no matter what I fed her, and the spring grass didn't do a damned thing. I made that awful call.

On the day I put her to sleep, I went out for cuddles with the baby PRE and immediately thought she looked suspicious. Sometimes, you just look at a horse and think, "Oh....no." Two days later, the vet confirmed that she was in foal and due that week. You can't write this sh*t. And she did, in fact, foal that week. Luckily, it was a smooth, uncomplicated birth, and she had a strong, healthy colt. There were some weeks of panic -- especially when the mare decided she would not be caught, ever -- but the foal ended up with a buyer (my best friend), the YO wasn't charging me livery for two horses, and I realised I could still buy my riding horse, so I started that search.

As we all know, the market is terrible. Especially on a limited budget. Really, the timing could not have sucked more. I found a 10-year unregistered Highland, green as bloody grass with a bit of a complex about arenas, who'd been feral until he was 7/8-ish. But he was pretty and had a lovely nature, so I bought him. Was I going to do better with 4k? Probably not. He's been fantastic. Today, he found a faint path through a bog, scrambled over a stone wall (no pics...both OH and I were too busy asking ourselves, 'Is this stupid?' to take them, but the pony is clever and handy with his feet), and navigated over a couple bridges. Eventually, I'll tackle the arena issues but I can't be bothered schooling right now, and he shines on the trails.View attachment 78326View attachment 78327View attachment 78329
Oh he's utterly gorgeous!

Bernster

Visit site
CI that is quite a year you’ve had. Sounds like the new boy is working out great. I’m doing similar with B, limited school work as it’s not his forte (building him up slowly and trainer is schooling him once a week) and have started doing more of what he loves, straight line work on grass and jumping. Lots to work on and am getting to know his quirks, but he makes me smile every time.

AE, you hear a lot of scary things about buying unseen. I’m loving your updates of the new mare. So exciting about Ambers foal!

Wishfilly

Visit site
He looks like a sweet boy. Interesting what you say about feeling like more of a partnership, it does take time doesn’t it?! I’ve had a few horses but have had Finn for 6/7 years now and have forgotten some of that ‘new horse’ experience.

Definitely. He is the first I've owned outright (had a few loans etc as a teenager) so I don't have much to compare it to! Over the past 10 years of my riding, I've sort of got used to hopping on what was available/needed riding, and I think I'd built up emotional defences against getting too attached to horses in some ways. BUT I've also not been used to that situation where every single thing is my responsibility, and I have to make all the decisions about tack/vet care etc, and I think at times I've almost been paralysed by indecision!

I think it's been a bit of a stop start several months for us- winter was tricky with the weather and lockdown, felt like we were getting somewhere around Easter, then decided we needed a new saddle, that took a while to sort, then for various work/covid related reasons didn't use the new saddle as much as I had planned immediately. So we are still ticking off lots of "firsts"- last night was our first canter in company out hacking, for example, which seems like it has taken ages! But after a little bit of excited bouncing, he was perfect! And we had probably our nicest schooling session ever on Sunday!

I think I do get a bit inside my own head- despite being 8, he had a slow start, and I worry sometimes that people will judge me/him because his behaviour is not perfect, and then I don't do things that will be good learning experiences because I am worried he won't be perfect! I really really need to find a local instructor I get on with, too, I think.

But I think recently, my emotional barriers have started to come down- I love and adore him, and in return he seems to be relaxing a lot for me.

7 years is a long time, though, and I think it is bound to feel different with a new horse!

Bernster

Visit site
Ah bless, wishfully. There’s so much info and options available too that I imagine it can be overwhelming. Not to mention lots of opinions, often well meaning ofc, but that can confuse things. And on top of that, our own inner self/voice judging us too which can def be very unhelpful! Blimey, reading that makes me exhausted haha.

But you can only do your best, try to make informed decisions, have a reliable and knowledgeable network of people to advise where needed, trust your instincts and listen to your horse.

Those ‘firsts’ can be daunting, I’m still in the midst of many of those. I have a lesson tonight and we’re really not up to much in the school still, so I feel a bit of a failure. I don’t like not being ‘good’, or even vaguely competent, at this bit. I’m going to explain it to my ins, who is also a friend, as she’s good at getting me out of my own head ☺️

Wishfilly

Visit site
Ah bless, wishfully. There’s so much info and options available too that I imagine it can be overwhelming. Not to mention lots of opinions, often well meaning ofc, but that can confuse things. And on top of that, our own inner self/voice judging us too which can def be very unhelpful! Blimey, reading that makes me exhausted haha.

But you can only do your best, try to make informed decisions, have a reliable and knowledgeable network of people to advise where needed, trust your instincts and listen to your horse.

Those ‘firsts’ can be daunting, I’m still in the midst of many of those. I have a lesson tonight and we’re really not up to much in the school still, so I feel a bit of a failure. I don’t like not being ‘good’, or even vaguely competent, at this bit. I’m going to explain it to my ins, who is also a friend, as she’s good at getting me out of my own head ☺️

Yeah, I definitely think finding an instructor I trust who can come out to us regularly will help hugely. Most of my horsey friends/support network are at the other end of the county- so they are great for advice and one off visits, but not so great for having a regular person on the ground who can see how we are going!

I definitely get the whole not liking not being good thing!

But I am definitely feeling more and more confident, and getting to understand my pony a lot more- so that's great! I make it sound so stressful but I feel incredibly lucky to have him!

Annagain

Visit site
Definitely. He is the first I've owned outright (had a few loans etc as a teenager) so I don't have much to compare it to! Over the past 10 years of my riding, I've sort of got used to hopping on what was available/needed riding, and I think I'd built up emotional defences against getting too attached to horses in some ways. BUT I've also not been used to that situation where every single thing is my responsibility, and I have to make all the decisions about tack/vet care etc, and I think at times I've almost been paralysed by indecision!

I think it's been a bit of a stop start several months for us- winter was tricky with the weather and lockdown, felt like we were getting somewhere around Easter, then decided we needed a new saddle, that took a while to sort, then for various work/covid related reasons didn't use the new saddle as much as I had planned immediately. So we are still ticking off lots of "firsts"- last night was our first canter in company out hacking, for example, which seems like it has taken ages! But after a little bit of excited bouncing, he was perfect! And we had probably our nicest schooling session ever on Sunday!

I think I do get a bit inside my own head- despite being 8, he had a slow start, and I worry sometimes that people will judge me/him because his behaviour is not perfect, and then I don't do things that will be good learning experiences because I am worried he won't be perfect! I really really need to find a local instructor I get on with, too, I think.

But I think recently, my emotional barriers have started to come down- I love and adore him, and in return he seems to be relaxing a lot for me.

7 years is a long time, though, and I think it is bound to feel different with a new horse!
I know how you feel, Wishfilly. We've been very stop start too with a damaged saddle, a saddle that obviously wasn't fitting, a local lockdown then a national one and lots of wobbles. I feel like it's only now after a year that I'm really starting to get to know him. It was 15 years ago I did all this 'new horse' thing last and I'd forgotten how discombobulating it can all be.

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
I know how you feel, Wishfilly. We've been very stop start too with a damaged saddle, a saddle that obviously wasn't fitting, a local lockdown then a national one and lots of wobbles. I feel like it's only now after a years that I'm really starting to get to know him. It was 15 years ago I did all this 'new horse' thing last and I'd forgotten how discombobulating it can all be.

Yes, definitely! I think everything covid related has made it a very strange year in a lot of ways!

I'm glad you're starting to feel like you are getting to know your boy too, though!

Peglo

Visit site
I know how you feel, Wishfilly. We've been very stop start too with a damaged saddle, a saddle that obviously wasn't fitting, a local lockdown then a national one and lots of wobbles. I feel like it's only now after a year that I'm really starting to get to know him. It was 15 years ago I did all this 'new horse' thing last and I'd forgotten how discombobulating it can all be.

I was the same Annagain, it was 14 years since I got my last horse so I’m finding a new one stressful but only because I want to do best by her and probably overthinking too much.I couldn’t have hoped for better with my new girl. She’s fun and clever albeit very hungry ? Bought unseen but she has been so open to get to know me and tries so hard to know what I’m asking. Feel so incredibly lucky. But also unable to get lessons at the moment so just working on getting to know her and hacking and having fun atm.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
This is my first new one since I moved to where I live now, and I’m desperately missing my beloved YO/instructor! Not that I don’t know what I’m doing (though sometimes it feels that way…) but god it was so nice to have that 24/7 support from someone who knew me (and my issues) inside and out, plus the possibility of multiple lessons a week.

But then again, I did buy Henry while I was at uni full time and lived 5-6hrs away so only rode him about twice a month during term time, so I suppose that was a challenge too but in a different way ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes, it's weird getting a new one after you have had one for most of your life. I have these moments where I really miss the depth of my relationship with Gypsum, the trust, the understanding, but I have to remind myself that it wasn't like The Black Stallion. We didn't have this amazing bond from the start where we galloped along the beach and then won the Kentucky Derby. It was hard. I got bucked off a lot. I could not hack her alone in a safe or reliable way for like two years. We had some falling outs. I cried.

Foinavon was a good boy in his hack tonight and led most of it. I can't complain. He will get there. He also clearly wants to be a dressage pony and holds himself naturally in an outline. I am not asking for this. Just have to convince him that arenas aren't horse eating monsters.

235361398_821797481872640_1853570432622646625_n.jpg240505032_576993360326649_8129883276887324246_n.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
I have to remind myself that I nearly sold Archie many times in the first two years. You forget all that in the subsequent 13! In fact after about 3 years when he went lame I should have sold him to hacking home and got a new one then but by that point he'd wormed his way into my heart and I was terrified he'd be sold on. I was so lucky that my best friend was having babies and I could start sharing Monty. I never had the "getting to know you" stage with him as I'd already known him five years and ridden him on and off in that time. He really was (is, he's still with us, just retired) Mr Perfect (in the 20 years I've known him, nobody has ever fallen off him, just fallen over with him once or twice!) which has made going to a young green horse even more difficult. I keep thinking "Monty was never like this for R even at 5 let alone 7, I must be doing something wrong" but I forget just how exceptional Monty was/is. Charlie and I had a fab lesson last night though so all is well with the world today!

Bernster

Visit site
And there’s no fast tracking really, it’s about time and experience. Bertie has his quirks (as most horses do) but they seem to be manageable, and he’s been really good, but the trust isn’t there yet. However, we keep plugging away and having positive moments, which build up (just realised, just like that brick wall that Nikicb posted - must get told of that!).

Had a successful lesson last night, yay! Much straighter, better rhythm, some fleeting moments of decent walk and trot work. If I relax and don’t hold him, he doesn’t brace against me or run onto the forehand. That‘s easier said than done ofc as my instinct is go stiff! But I could tell there’s some nice flatwork in there. Hopefully we can work on that over the winter when hacking is more limited.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Lovely pictures on this thread!

Blue and I are now going on our first outing on Monday- just to a local fun ride, but there was space in the lorry, so I decided to go for it. I'm trying not to stress too much. Hopefully it will be a low key and fun experience for him!