Pictures New owner/rider check in

Annagain

Visit site
Lovely pictures on this thread!

Blue and I are now going on our first outing on Monday- just to a local fun ride, but there was space in the lorry, so I decided to go for it. I'm trying not to stress too much. Hopefully it will be a low key and fun experience for him!
Fun rides were / are brilliant for Charlie and me. It's where I discovered we have brakes, don't care if horses gallop past us, like water, find the whole getting going thing quite exciting but soon settle, get a bit excited if we see horses in the distance in front of us but contain ourselves and need to be ready for a spook at most normal things if we're cantering past them! I really started to get to know him on fun rides - it's generally a pretty safe environment - big fields, little roadwork, natural obstacles like rivers etc.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Fun rides were / are brilliant for Charlie and me. It's where I discovered we have brakes, don't care if horses gallop past us, like water, find the whole getting going thing quite exciting but soon settle, get a bit excited if we see horses in the distance in front of us but contain ourselves and need to be ready for a spook at most normal things if we're cantering past them! I really started to get to know him on fun rides - it's generally a pretty safe environment - big fields, little roadwork, natural obstacles like rivers etc.

Yes, I'm hoping it will be a nice, safe/chilled environment! Most of our longer hacking is a bit stressful as we have to cross an A road to get there and back. As we're going in company, I'm hoping for excited rather than spooky, but if something does go wrong we don't have the pressure of it being competitive!

Sounds like you and Charlie have had some excellent times on them!

Annagain

Visit site
Yes, I'm hoping it will be a nice, safe/chilled environment! Most of our longer hacking is a bit stressful as we have to cross an A road to get there and back. As we're going in company, I'm hoping for excited rather than spooky, but if something does go wrong we don't have the pressure of it being competitive!

Sounds like you and Charlie have had some excellent times on them!
Yes - a lot of our hacking only allows for very short canters or canters where there are potentially a lot of people so not always possible. I didn't want him thinking he could canter there every time so didn't canter there for months so big long canters on fun rides have been great. We have quite a few in our area luckily.

New2this

Visit site
Here is my new horse. In a lot of ways it’s been a disaster... the week he arrived he went lame. Thought I would be going through solicitors to try and claw some money back (vet thought pre existing condition, bloods that were taken at initial vetting were contaminated etc etc). But he came right after about ten days.

It hasn’t been plain sailing since... He has bucked me off twice. Both times going into canter in the right rein.

I have had physio out, vet, saddle checked and he is getting teeth done soon. I am committed to trying to do my best by him. He is a great guy when all is said and done. Not exactly a sweet horse, but respectful (when he’s not bucking me off) and he has a lovely presence.

I hope and wish this is the start of a really positive journey for both of us! But mostly I am hoping he won’t be the death of me!

Attachments

• EDD89878-BD79-4D5D-A39A-DCB52DBD63AC.jpeg
    EDD89878-BD79-4D5D-A39A-DCB52DBD63AC.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 54

Wishfilly

Visit site
Here is my new horse. In a lot of ways it’s been a disaster... the week he arrived he went lame. Thought I would be going through solicitors to try and claw some money back (vet thought pre existing condition, bloods that were taken at initial vetting were contaminated etc etc). But he came right after about ten days.

It hasn’t been plain sailing since... He has bucked me off twice. Both times going into canter in the right rein.

I have had physio out, vet, saddle checked and he is getting teeth done soon. I am committed to trying to do my best by him. He is a great guy when all is said and done. Not exactly a sweet horse, but respectful (when he’s not bucking me off) and he has a lovely presence.

I hope and wish this is the start of a really positive journey for both of us! But mostly I am hoping he won’t be the death of me!

That sounds so stressful! He is very lucky to have you!

Teeth make a huge difference to my pony- he had his done again at the start of August, and the vet said they didn't hugely need doing, but he has been so much happier in the contact since they were done!

New2this

Visit site
That sounds so stressful! He is very lucky to have you!

Teeth make a huge difference to my pony- he had his done again at the start of August, and the vet said they didn't hugely need doing, but he has been so much happier in the contact since they were done!

Thank you. This is exactly the sort of thing I need to hear right now. I have been wondering whether teeth may be the issue. When I got him, nothing was ‘up to date’ - shoes, worming, shots.... so I’d say teeth haven’t been done in a long time.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Thank you. This is exactly the sort of thing I need to hear right now. I have been wondering whether teeth may be the issue. When I got him, nothing was ‘up to date’ - shoes, worming, shots.... so I’d say teeth haven’t been done in a long time.

I think it's definitely worth doing- Blue was very much tossing his head and resistant just prior to having his teeth done especially in transitions, but he has been super soft since! The vet didn't think they were hugely bad, but I think it has made a huge difference.

He does also sometimes bronc a bit into canter (not proper bucks) but I think this is mainly due to not knowing what to do with his back legs at times and he has to mess around to sort them out (also occasionally excitement if we are on a straight line). He has been checked by the vet and physio, and they both feel he is just a little weak behind and needs to figure out how to use his body properly in the school.

That said, on Tuesday we had an absolutely perfect, soft canter transition in the school, so hopefully we are moving in the right direction.

New2this

Visit site
With Charlie, it definitely feels like more than just the transition. He does a massive all legs in the air bucking sequence. I’m not the most amazing rider, so there’s no hope of me staying on. He does it being lunged too. But always right rein. Left rein is completely fine. It is most definitely worse when he is fresh though.
Thanks... your post gives me hope.

Wishfilly

Visit site
With Charlie, it definitely feels like more than just the transition. He does a massive all legs in the air bucking sequence. I’m not the most amazing rider, so there’s no hope of me staying on. He does it being lunged too. But always right rein. Left rein is completely fine. It is most definitely worse when he is fresh though.
Thanks... your post gives me hope.

Yeah it's definitely not proper bucking at all in my situation. I hope you are able to figure it out!

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My "bought unseen from DragonDriving, 'cos the market is crazy and I need a spare in case I sell my mare" is a total joy. If Deza passes the vet on Monday he should be backed by the end of next week. He's the loveliest natured mongrel you could hope to meet. And a proper leg at each corner small mw hunter. He was an absolute steal. 3 years old, he won't be doing anything much til next year.

Day of purchase, he'd been pulling a trap 3 days earlier.

Screenshot_20210418-144948_Photos.jpg

A couple of weeks back, after 2 months on hills with good rough mixed grazing.

View attachment 77529

Unbelievable transformation! ?

Bernster

Visit site
He looks very smart wishfully, I do like a clipped out cob.

N2T, that does sound tricky, on top of the ‘usual’ new horse stuff to deal with. I hope things improve for you! Bertie was well loved in his previous home but even so I have done a full mot to make sure we start/stay on the right path - teeth, feet (they were a bit long), saddle, physio, ground work. I kind of threw everything at him but he’s feeling really good, much straighter and getting stronger, so I do think it pays off.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This is my lockdown pony.
I wasn’t going to post as I’ve had problems with him and actually was pretty sure he was retired.
However he’s back in work as of about a week or so ago and so far so good!
He’s just turned 11 TB
A nice laid back horse who has fitted in here nicely and is easy to do. Unfortunately he’s had lameness/tripping issues and has been diagnosed with arthritic changes to his neck and hocks. :( gutting but if he’s happy to hack round the roads a few times a week that’s what we will do!

Attachments

• F8A2A86C-1251-40A3-B921-1BBAA4C2792C.jpeg
    F8A2A86C-1251-40A3-B921-1BBAA4C2792C.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 5BFEF8B3-0454-474E-BCD2-242DF4D5C953.jpeg
    5BFEF8B3-0454-474E-BCD2-242DF4D5C953.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 59

Annagain

Visit site
Very smart Wishfilly.

N2T - I think I've worked out your problem from your photo. You've got him upside down ;).
In all seriousness, you have my sympathy. My Charlie also went through a little bucking phase - only ever one buck and only on canter strike off, luckily not enough to ditch me. I think it was just a young unbalanced, green horse who hadn't done much in the school trying to work his legs out. We haven't had any for months now but while it was happening it was very disconcerting. My mantra before a canter was 'heavy bits back (head, shoulders, boobs) and hang on (neckstrap). Never underestimate the power of a neckstrap! Most importantly, if you're still in the saddle, keep riding forwards. "Pretend it didn't happen" is my other saying. Once you've had everything checked, keep plugging away and you'll get there.

Hope your boy continues to improve poiuytrewq.

New2this

Visit site
Very smart Wishfilly.

N2T - I think I've worked out your problem from your photo. You've got him upside down ;).
In all seriousness, you have my sympathy. My Charlie also went through a little bucking phase - only ever one buck and only on canter strike off, luckily not enough to ditch me. I think it was just a young unbalanced, green horse who hadn't done much in the school trying to work his legs out. We haven't had any for months now but while it was happening it was very disconcerting. My mantra before a canter was 'heavy bits back (head, shoulders, boobs) and hang on (neckstrap). Never underestimate the power of a neckstrap! Most importantly, if you're still in the saddle, keep riding forwards. "Pretend it didn't happen" is my other saying. Once you've had everything checked, keep plugging away and you'll get there.

Hope your boy continues to improve poiuytrewq.

I love this forum. Feel like I might have met my people. Though in seriousness, I am going to have to learn to take better pictures and load them right way up.

I am hopeful maybe it might be just learning to canter on right rein. Maybe?!? He is completely fine on left, but has real issues striking off and keeping canter on right, even when not flying like a kite and bucking. I m not really confident enough in myself to know whether it is pain or lack of maturity. It seems like pain to me, so then I don’t ask him for it. Everyone tells me it isn’t pain (instructor, physio, vet etc).

I guess I ll jst keep doing what I am doing (groundwork to build muscle, pole work etc). Happy if anyone has suggestions of what I can do to help him.

Bernster

Visit site
Yep, am there myself. Always that little nagging feeling with a new horse as to whether they’re totally sound or not. Barring obvious issues (like being lame) then for me it’s a case of doing the standard/obvious checks, and building them up in strength, balance etc. If they improve, then great, that suggests you’re on the right lines, if they don’t or they get worse, then more thorough vet checks might be in order.

Annagain

Visit site
Maybe take a break from it for a bit? We didn't do much in the school between about mid December and February. It flooded (first time in 20 years but the whole village did too!) and then it didn't have time to drain before the big freeze so it was frozen for ages, then it was January and I was a bit meh, and it was lockdown so my semi-pro friend couldn't come to ride him. We hacked at weekends and that was it. When we got going again, the bucking had stopped. He was so much stronger, partly just development and partly due to the hacking, I think. We did lots of catering out hacking in nice straight lines though. I never bothered to look to see which leg he was on (although we had bucking both ways) when we were cantering, maybe I should have!

A much better riding than me riding him once a week has made a big difference too.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I’m super late to the thread but here’s my lockdown boy…

I’ve not really posted about him much as I’d kinda forgotten what a tough old slog it is getting to know a new horse and with the horses now at home for the first time (and having relocated for work I don’t even have my trusty support network nearby) it’s been an even steeper learning curve, but we’re getting there slowly, at least we were until he bronked me off the other day ??‍♀️

When he’s going well he’s awesome and by far the most talented horse I’ve ever sat on but my confidence wobbles are out in full force at the moment which means I’m overthinking the whole damn thing. Physio is hopefully out next week as I realised after I hit the deck that he’s a tad sore at the moment so will rule out any issues and then dig out my brave pants and crack on ?F9049C71-F5CB-44AC-9B87-CC260C34B40C.jpegD01E29A4-D048-44B2-8FE2-3F239AEAB1C4.jpeg

PaulineW

Visit site
My purchase only arrived 2 days ago so I can't give much of an update. He's a 13 month old black cob colt (no known breeding) , pretty much unhandled. I bought him unseen from the same person I have bought 4 others from, including my other current boy. Very early days but he's he's proving to be quite easy and a quick learner.
View attachment 77609
Hi, is the seller well known for young cobs? I’m thinking of getting a youngster but not sure who is trust worthy!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
he looks rather nice FF, hope you get him sorted out soon

Thanks Splashgirl! He’s truly wonderful but can be a typical sensitive dutchie at times ? Weirdly he’d been fab in the first half an hour of our lesson, a little on his toes (but that’s par for the course with dumbbloods) but he tends to start flagging at the 35min point and gets nappy so I thought I’d try him with a schooling whip to encourage him to go forward. He responded nicely and we probably had a good half 20m circle in a nice active walk and then bam, out of nowhere he threw in a bronc. I suspect my attempts at keeping the whip off him actually meant he caught it out the corner of his eye and panicked but I’d like to rule any pain out to be sure.

Clydiegirl

Visit site
Hi, is the seller well known for young cobs? I’m thinking of getting a youngster but not sure who is trust worthy!

She breeds Welsh cobs (Rivermay Welsh Cob Stud on fb) but my boy was bought as a companion to her colt/future stallion. She occasionally buys in youngsters to sell on though. She's always my go to if I'm looking for something.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’m a bit late too but we’re 4 months in and starting to make progress. Still a bit of a fatty (lushest summer grass ever this year?!) but muzzling, hay soaking and exercise are slowly working.

He hadn’t really been ridden for two years before we got him due to laminitis and owner’s circumstances, and I’m not sure how much he’d done before that, plus I never sat on him before he arrived (!) so it’s been right back to basics, which I’m really enjoying.

Pics are a comparative weight loss/muscle tone shot from day 1 to now, and a screenshot from most recent lesson (not the best quality I know but he was trying really hard!)

0D56713F-8DFE-47A3-B9A4-C95156B605D7.jpeg3ECBFC45-A205-4216-AFDE-BED4951E8D7D.jpeg

Wishfilly

Visit site
Just checking in after our fun ride today!

Really pleased, actually- he loaded pretty well both ways, travelled well, unloaded sensibly, which is all a big tick! When we arrived he was incredibly excited, and was very much in a "let's go" frame of mind. We took the first few fields pretty steadily (with my friend's saint of a horse acting as a front break). Then there was a short section of road work, and he is so sensible on the roads he realised he had to chill out.

After that, bar a little bit of jogging and silliness at times, he really settled and was really good. Went first/last/in the middle, really sensible when we were cantering, happy to pop some tiny brush jumps. Saw all sorts of things and was also happy with horses passing in both directions.

It would almost have been better if we could have gone backwards, and had a nice blast through the fields to finish, but overall, I was really pleased with him, and it was definitely a successful outing. Everyone seems keen to go out again, so hopefully we can find something else to go to soon! I think the more we do, the better he will be (and also, the better I will be- half the tenseness at the start was definitely my fault, because I got tense, he got tense and it was a little bit of a vicious cycle).

Looks like some lovely horses on this thread, I hope everyone has been enjoying them this weekend!

Annagain

Visit site
We had a bit of a wobble on Sunday - a fun ride. I sort of knew it wouldn't be the best one for him as it's all round and round in circles on one farm rather than one big loop so we kept seeing horses everywhere. The first 10 minutes are also round one very steep field so up then down, then into the field next door and the same thing, then lots of short canters and gateways to negotiate so he got a bit excited and leapy. I was ready to take him back as I didn't want to ruin it for my friends but they talked me into staying. As soon as we got to the big fields we could have a gallop along the M4 (almost literally, there's a wooden fence and then the hard shoulder!) he settled and was fine.

I was a bit upset about it Sunday night but am feeling a lot better about it now. I'm looking for the positives. I'm starting to know him, for better and worse. I knew it wouldn't be 'his' ride and should have trusted my judgement but it was only 15 minutes from home so it's hard to say no. We survived and I actually enjoyed the second half. I didn't jump much but more than I did last time. He stood like a statue as long as his friends were there. He had decent brakes even galloping down hil (accidentally - hidden dip in the field!) in a group of 5 and I can actually say "you could ride him down the M4" knowing it's true! I think he'd make a lovely hunter, it's just a shame I don't hunt!

Bernster

Visit site
Yeah, it’s all good experience as long as it doesn’t go horribly wrong, and it didn’t.

My friend took Bertie on the first sponsored ride and he was a bit ? at that start. Doesn’t like standing still, didn’t like people galloping past him, but he settled and ended well. All good education for us both!