New pony trouble - will a new yard be the answer?

ponytrouble

Visit site
Apologies if this is long! I bought a 19 year old Welsh Section B for my 8 year old daughter and he arrived 10 days ago. He was the most calm, well-mannered pony when we tried him - quite a kick-along really, which was exactly what we were looking for. We bought him from a riding school where he was much loved and took part in pony club activities, lessons, shows etc. He had been stabled 24/7 since January due to the wet conditions of the turnout.

When he arrived, my daughter rode him and he was lovely - super calm and responsive. We spent the first few days spending time grooming, giving cuddles and some gentle walking and trotting. He was stabled at night and he started barging past to get out in the morning, so I decided to put him on 24/7 turnout as the weather was decent and he was so happy in the field. He remains a delight to catch and is very happy having cuddles in the field. Quickly his behaviour started to change and he became a pain on the yard - wanting to go back to the field, fidgeting and pawing at the ground whilst tied up. Nothing nasty but not stress free and not suitable for a child to manage.

I quickly noticed that there are no other horses visible from his stable and, obviously coming from a riding school this is a big change.

Five days in we took him to an organised hack and he was like a different pony - on his toes and ends up rearing and throwing my daughter into the road. Obviously extremely distressing for us all. Thankfully my daughter is ok.

I speak to the previous owner who is in shock at his behaviour and offers a refund, says that he is unsettled and is confident that this is something that can be improved. We discuss the possibility of a new yard which I have organised - the new yard is part of a school run equestrian centre and is busy and has a very structured routine in place. It replicates his previous home so I am really hoping he will settle and be the pony we tried out. I am absolutely sure he was not doped btw as I checked for signs at the trial and a friend also saw him a week previously. I have had his back checked and there are no problems but his saddle doesn't fit so we are replacing this. A friend's 12 year old daughter rode him after the rearing incident and he was very strong - trying to tank off with her and throwing in bucks. I attribute this to his poorly fitting saddle.

Here we are now and he is going to the new yard in two day's time. Has anyone had any experience of a pony settling in one place and not another? I have faith that he is a good boy - he stands so patiently for us to put his rugs on/off and loves being lavished with affection in the field (which is all we're doing now as I don't want to stress him out further by making him revisit the very empty yard endlessly). I suppose we're trying to build trust and I am hopeful it's working. However, am I being realistic? I am already heavily emotionally invested in this pony - as is my daughter but I absolutely did not want a project pony. He was chosen because he could 'hit the ground running' with us and I am worried that all I wanted was a straightforward pony and I've ended up with a pony my daughter can't currently ride as he isn't safe for her.

Would love to hear of any similar experiences??

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I think you are very wise in how you are dealing with this. The bottom line is that your daughter is safe and the pony is happy, which he doesn't seem to be at the moment.
Keep the former owner on board and ensure that she is happy to refund after trying a new environment.
Different yards make a big difference, although some horses find any move/new owner incredibly stressful and take time and consistency before they settle.
I had three horses, all with different temperaments who moved a few times over the years. On two yards in particular, they all became raving lunatics, even the extremely laid back family cob. Both times, I moved them after a few months and the change was incredible. I'm currently on a well run yard with a YO who is like an old school matron and yet the horses thrive there.
Really hope you manage to find a resolution that works for your daughter and the pony.

Equi

Visit site
My boy during summer time was a nightmare at the yard (he wasn’t great during winter either but the fact he was hungry made him tolerate stable) he’d be stressy and bolshy and absolutely could not be stabled for even two seconds but ridden he was 100% (one of the reasons I bought him) it was in all winter and out all summer no real routine in between.

at the new yard (structured routine of turnout and times etc) he went into his new stable looked around at his new barn yard mates and sighed a big relief. He has never displayed the behaviours he did at the last yard at this new one and no one believes me that he ever could ? he can be left in the stable or field all alone if needs be. At last yard I said if he ever needed boxrest he’d have to be shot because someone would die. Now he’s so chill he could do it no bother lol

ponytrouble

Visit site
Thank you so much for replying. That’s really interesting and I am desperately hoping that’s the same for our boy. I couldn’t view the yard before we joined because of lockdown so I didn’t realise just how quiet it is and how out of the way his stable would be. The previous owner has been great - I am sending her daily updates and she’s happy to give us some time to try to settle him. Unfortunately my budget isn’t limitless so we have a month to sort him out or he will have to go back - I think we’ll all be quite heartbroken if it comes to this. Thanks again for your advice xx

ponytrouble

Visit site
My boy during summer time was a nightmare at the yard (he wasn’t great during winter either but the fact he was hungry made him tolerate stable) he’d be stressy and bolshy and absolutely could not be stabled for even two seconds but ridden he was 100% (one of the reasons I bought him) it was in all winter and out all summer no real routine in between.

at the new yard (structured routine of turnout and times etc) he went into his new stable looked around at his new barn yard mates and sighed a big relief. He has never displayed the behaviours he did at the last yard at this new one and no one believes me that he ever could ?
This gives me hope - thank you so much xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not a pony but we put our first Appaloosa mare onto a DIY yard, she was there for 6 weeks and was a complete nightmare. We moved her roughly 4 miles away to another DIY yard, she was difficult to lead until about halfway to the new yard, then she settled and became easier. She was always best described as 'quirky' but the yard move suited her and she was never difficult to handle again. We never did work out what the problem had been as she moved twice more in the 22 years she was with us, with no problems at all

Birker2020

Visit site
Just be aware that when trying a horse if it is very quiet and withdrawn it may not necessarily be doped but water could well have been withheld which results in calmer behaviour simply due to its dehydrated nature. It's a very old trick that dealers have used in the past.

That's why its essential to see a horse/pony loose in its usual stable and check it has access to water (along with checking at the same time that its not been crib biting and it doesn't windsuck or weave.) The same goes with it's field or paddock, check water has not been withheld.

Good luck at the new yard.

ponytrouble

Visit site
Not a pony but we put our first Appaloosa mare onto a DIY yard, she was there for 6 weeks and was a complete nightmare. We moved her roughly 4 miles away to another DIY yard, she was difficult to lead until about halfway to the new yard, then she settled and became easier. She was always best described as 'quirky' but the yard move suited her and she was never difficult to handle again. We never did work out what the problem had been as she moved twice more in the 22 years she was with us, with no problems at all

wow - I really hope we see the same change ?? Thank you xx

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Just to add, my sensible well trained lad tests the boundaries after a yard moves and tries to reset the relationship between us. This might not happen with yours but it doesn't hurt to expect it and be prepared to do some groundwork when he arrives at his new home, just to make sure he knows the rules haven't changed, he still has to behave and walk nicely.

You might also want to consider the change in workload from a RS to a single owner. Discuss with your new YO / YM about any reduction or change to feed to reflect a much easier workload.

ponytrouble

Visit site
Just be aware that when trying a horse if it is very quiet and withdrawn it may not necessarily be doped but water could well have been withheld which results in calmer behaviour simply due to its dehydrated nature. It's a very old trick that dealers have used in the past.

That's why its essential to see a horse/pony loose in its usual stable and check it has access to water (along with checking at the same time that its not been crib biting and it doesn't windsuck or weave.) The same goes with it's field or paddock, check water has not been withheld.

Good luck at the new yard.
Thank you for this - I saw his stable & there was definitely plentiful water.
Just to add, my sensible well trained lad tests the boundaries after a yard moves and tries to reset the relationship between us. This might not happen with yours but it doesn't hurt to expect it and be prepared to do some groundwork when he arrives at his new home, just to make sure he knows the rules haven't changed, he still has to behave and walk nicely.

You might also want to consider the change in workload from a RS to a single owner. Discuss with your new YO / YM about any reduction or change to feed to reflect a much easier workload.

Thank you - this is definitely on my mind. The new YO has been extremely helpful & is happy to help lunge/long rein him. The long term plan is for him to be a working livery pony as I think this will really suit him x

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think changing yards may be a good idea, but I agree with the PP that likely the largest change has been to his workload. This sort of problem can be common when ex-RS ponies go to private homes.

How much did you ride him in the 5 days prior to the hack?

Going onto spring grass with a reduction in workload is likely to make any pony on their toes and excited- although a poorly fitting saddle won't help.

If you can put him on working livery, I would do so ASAP.

honetpot

Visit site
I used to have our PC sales list, and I have lots of tales of woe and my advice is always get a pony from a similar set up/facilities as you are going to take it to. A pony that in regular work is the hardest to judge, and not many family homes can provide that level of work.

ponytrouble

Visit site
I think changing yards may be a good idea, but I agree with the PP that likely the largest change has been to his workload. This sort of problem can be common when ex-RS ponies go to private homes.

How much did you ride him in the 5 days prior to the hack?

Going onto spring grass with a reduction in workload is likely to make any pony on their toes and excited- although a poorly fitting saddle won't help.

If you can put him on working livery, I would do so ASAP.

We'd ridden him twice before and then he'd had a day off. I was told that he was happy only being ridden lightly which was exactly what we're looking for. I agree that working livery will suit him - at the moment he is going onto full livery until the new yard can be sure he is suitable for them . . .

ponytrouble

Visit site
I used to have our PC sales list, and I have lots of tales of woe and my advice is always get a pony from a similar set up/facilities as you are going to take it to. A pony that in regular work is the hardest to judge, and not many family homes can provide that level of work.
This is really interesting and I wish I'd known this beforehand. I was very clear with the previous owner how much work he'd be doing, and the sort of yard he was going to and she didn't foresee any problem. But it would have been very hard to foresee this and I had no idea how quiet the yard would be as I hadn't been allowed to visit. x

paddi22

Visit site
I have a pony out of loan and is amazing to see how behaviour can change depending on the handling and yard environment. If the pony has come from a busy structured environment where it had a heavier workload, more workmanlike handling and less grass, then it is logical the the temperament would change going to this new environment.
if it was my pony pony
-I echo the other posters advice that working livery might be worth trying for the pony.
- work on your handling skills to stop the bad manners, no more barging. learn skills to train and stop it.
- check your saddle fit
- knock off all hard feed if pony is fed.
- know that spring grass will buzz some up a bit.

Wishfilly

Visit site
We'd ridden him twice before and then he'd had a day off. I was told that he was happy only being ridden lightly which was exactly what we're looking for. I agree that working livery will suit him - at the moment he is going onto full livery until the new yard can be sure he is suitable for them . . .

In my experience, light work in a RS is different to light work in a private home BUT actually this is ringing some alarm bells- if he is like this in a standard amount of work for a private home, then working him more may not be the answer.

If he rears at the new yard, they may feel he is unsuitable for working livery, which then leaves you with a bit of a problem.

It's really tough because obviously you really like the pony, but if the offer of a full refund is there, then part of me thinks you should take it- because you could end up 3-6 months down the line with no right to a refund and still having issues. And two yard changes in a short space of time will undoubtedly unsettle the pony.

I agree that in general you're best finding a pony that is already happily doing the job which you want him to do.

ponytrouble

Visit site
I have a pony out of loan and is amazing to see how behaviour can change depending on the handling and yard environment. If the pony has come from a busy structured environment where it had a heavier workload, more workmanlike handling and less grass, then it is logical the the temperament would change going to this new environment.
if it was my pony pony
-I echo the other posters advice that working livery might be worth trying for the pony.
- work on your handling skills to stop the bad manners, no more barging. learn skills to train and stop it.
- check your saddle fit
- knock off all hard feed if pony is fed.
- know that spring grass will buzz some up a bit.
Thank you - this is all really helpful.

paddi22

Visit site
Thank you - this is all really helpful.
it's amazing how different combinations of yards and kids can totally change a pony. we've had some on loan to different people over the years, and if those people ever met up they'd think they were talking about different ponies! one cob turned into a rearing nappy refuser with one kid, and then went to another where the kid was flying around 90s events on it! you are approaching it the right way and very logically, so I'm sure you will get it sorted!

ponytrouble

Visit site
In my experience, light work in a RS is different to light work in a private home BUT actually this is ringing some alarm bells- if he is like this in a standard amount of work for a private home, then working him more may not be the answer.

If he rears at the new yard, they may feel he is unsuitable for working livery, which then leaves you with a bit of a problem.

It's really tough because obviously you really like the pony, but if the offer of a full refund is there, then part of me thinks you should take it- because you could end up 3-6 months down the line with no right to a refund and still having issues. And two yard changes in a short space of time will undoubtedly unsettle the pony.

I agree that in general you're best finding a pony that is already happily doing the job which you want him to do.

This is very much playing on my mind - my main priority, naturally, is keeping my daughter safe and at the moment she can't ride him. I've agreed with the previous owner that we will try the new yard for one month (where they have another pony for my tiny human to ride so she isn't missing out). He has to go on full livery there which is three times what I've been paying for my current set up and I can't throw money away on a project. I am nervous that another yard move will be unsettling. He is like a different pony to the one we saw so is clearly highly unsettled and anxious which is just devastating really. I am obviously hoping that four weeks will be enough for him to see that we're not so bad, but I also want what's best for him and a month should give us enough time for us all to understand what that really is. Sigh - the emotional investment is strong right now!!

ponytrouble

Visit site
it's amazing how different combinations of yards and kids can totally change a pony. we've had some on loan to different people over the years, and if those people ever met up they'd think they were talking about different ponies! one cob turned into a rearing nappy refuser with one kid, and then went to another where the kid was flying around 90s events on it! you are approaching it the right way and very logically, so I'm sure you will get it sorted!
Thank you for saying that - I am literally boring everyone I know to tears about this pony. I question everything a million times and am so keen to do the right thing by my daughter - and by him as well.

Wishfilly

Visit site
This is very much playing on my mind - my main priority, naturally, is keeping my daughter safe and at the moment she can't ride him. I've agreed with the previous owner that we will try the new yard for one month (where they have another pony for my tiny human to ride so she isn't missing out). He has to go on full livery there which is three times what I've been paying for my current set up and I can't throw money away on a project. I am nervous that another yard move will be unsettling. He is like a different pony to the one we saw so is clearly highly unsettled and anxious which is just devastating really. I am obviously hoping that four weeks will be enough for him to see that we're not so bad, but I also want what's best for him and a month should give us enough time for us all to understand what that really is. Sigh - the emotional investment is strong right now!!

It sounds very tough for you and trying the new yard for a month seems like a good idea.

It is so hard with kids because you need them to be safe, and the financial side of things is tough too- but equally sending a pony back is very tricky.

I hope things work out for you!

ponytrouble

Visit site
T
It sounds very tough for you and trying the new yard for a month seems like a good idea.

It is so hard with kids because you need them to be safe, and the financial side of things is tough too- but equally sending a pony back is very tricky.

I hope things work out for you!
Thank you :) I'm trying to be a realist and an optimist at the same time which is absolutely blowing my brain right now!! We're also going to have to build up a lot of trust as having seen him rear it will take a lot for me to put my daughter on him again. I'm lucky the previous owner has been so supportive really! It will be heartbreaking if we have to send him back but this is meant to be a fun hobby for a child - not a bloody crash test course.

Wishfilly

Visit site
T

Thank you :) I'm trying to be a realist and an optimist at the same time which is absolutely blowing my brain right now!! We're also going to have to build up a lot of trust as having seen him rear it will take a lot for me to put my daughter on him again. I'm lucky the previous owner has been so supportive really! It will be heartbreaking if we have to send him back but this is meant to be a fun hobby for a child - not a bloody crash test course.

I can imagine how tough it is, and it is easy for people on here to take the emotion out of it- which is much harder for you. It sounds like you are being really sensible, and I hope things work out.

ponytrouble

Visit site
I can imagine how tough it is, and it is easy for people on here to take the emotion out of it- which is much harder for you. It sounds like you are being really sensible, and I hope things work out.
Thank you so much. This has been a long-held dream for my daughter and to see it crashing down around us is deeply upsetting. I really appreciate everyone's advice here - I'm a new member and am so glad I registered today.

JackFrost

Visit site
Probably just adding more uncertainty - but this pony has had a complete and sudden change of diet, on top of mental stress of the move. I don't personally have experience of ulcers - others here will be more knowledgeable of whether this might apply.
With the spring grass as well, it will have affected his metabolism, which can show up in behaviour. If he only came days ago, he has been through a lot. There is a tendency with (big) horses to consider the veterinary issues, but write off ponies as just being 'naughty'.

paddi22

Visit site
Thank you so much. This has been a long-held dream for my daughter and to see it crashing down around us is deeply upsetting. I really appreciate everyone's advice here - I'm a new member and am so glad I registered today.

If you tweak the management you will notice a big change in the behaviour I'd imagine. There are a few things you can do on your end to help improve things. How confident or experienced are you in handling ponies yourself? The fidgeting, pawing and barging are all just rudeness and there are techniques you can use to help improve his manners. Is there an instructor you could pay for like a half hour 'on the ground' lesson to watch how you are handling him and teach you techniques to keep him more mannerly. Sometimes you really have to be very black and white and strict with ponies and telling them off when they are being cheeky, sometimes its a simple as saying a firm 'no', sometimes you need to back them up, sometimes they need a tap. if you weren't 100% confident you were being strict enough, maybe just get an on the ground lesson with some you experienced who you trust there.

ponytrouble

Visit site
Probably just adding more uncertainty - but this pony has had a complete and sudden change of diet, on top of mental stress of the move. I don't personally have experience of ulcers - others here will be more knowledgeable of whether this might apply.
With the spring grass as well, it will have affected his metabolism, which can show up in behaviour. If he only came days ago, he has been through a lot. There is a tendency with (big) horses to consider the veterinary issues, but write off ponies as just being 'naughty'.
Another really interesting post - thank you. I have tried to replicate his diet as much as possible, but I think the grass is richer where we are and he hadn't been turned out properly since January so this is actually a huge change. I am going to investigate the possibility of ulcers now. The funny thing is that I've never really thought of him as being naughty - just hugely unsettled and out of his comfort zone x

paddi22

Visit site
the spring grass can really affect some. I've a pony got on loan to a lovely kid, who is a good rider and I've still been going up every few days to give her a lesson to cope with the pony being more buzzed up.

ponytrouble

Visit site
If you tweak the management you will notice a big change in the behaviour I'd imagine. There are a few things you can do on your end to help improve things. How confident or experienced are you in handling ponies yourself? The fidgeting, pawing and barging are all just rudeness and there are techniques you can use to help improve his manners. Is there an instructor you could pay for like a half hour 'on the ground' lesson to watch how you are handling him and teach you techniques to keep him more mannerly. Sometimes you really have to be very black and white and strict with ponies and telling them off when they are being cheeky, sometimes its a simple as saying a firm 'no', sometimes you need to back them up, sometimes they need a tap. if you weren't 100% confident you were being strict enough, maybe just get an on the ground lesson with some you experienced who you trust there.

I definitely wasn't being firm enough to begin with but have learnt from it and have been working with him on the ground to be the well mannered pony he can be (the back expert who came gave me some fundamentals and was amazingly helpful). The new YO is tremendously helpful and will be supporting me with this longer term to make sure he isn't being bolshy and rude (I have experience with ponies but not really with difficult ponies so this is an - unexpected - learning curve).

ponytrouble

Visit site
the spring grass can really affect some. I've a pony got on loan to a lovely kid, who is a good rider and I've still been going up every few days to give her a lesson to cope with the pony being more buzzed up.

Ours is really rich at the moment so that isn't helping - plus he hadn't been out for months so is really loving it.