New pony won't allow me to get on. Very sensitive

Leahwood

Visit site
Looking for some advice. I will take her to the vets next week. I recently purchased a new pony in January. When she arrived she wasn't the best with someone getting on. She would stand still but when you went to get on she would become very tense. When you were getting on her, if you sat down in the saddle like you would normally she would bronke. At first we thought she might be cold backed , however the longer we have had her it has all changed. March time, she would get tense when you put your foot in the stirrup but would be ok when you sat down in the stirrup. However when you kicked her for the first time she would bronke. Now at the moment I can't get on her at all . This is because she now tries to bronke when you put your foot in the stirrup. We have found she is very sensitive around her elbow and her side. So when you touch her with your hand she does spasm. If you keep touching her in that area the spasms do go away. However if you don't touch her for a minute and touch her again in that area she spasms again. I have spoken to the owner before the people I purchased her from and apparently she has been bad to get on and that was the reason as to why they sold her. Unfortunately we were not told about this by the people who we bought her from. Just looking for some advice as it is not something I have experienced before.

be positive

Visit site
I am sure your vets will come up with answers but it sounds as if the issue has got worse because you have tried to continue rather than get professional help earlier, at the very least I would have had a vet and physio check within the first few days, assuming she was not vetted before purchase, has her saddle been looked at recently as she may have changed shape since you got her and that could be making matters worse, the spasms you see are a sign there is something going on that needs treating, it could be caused by so many things some may be easy to treat others may not be, the sooner you get started the sooner you will know.

She has probably been suffering for some time so may well take a long while to get over it and may well need a total rehab/ reschooling plan put into place which could mean many months of hard work ahead of you as it is unlikely to be something that will be able to be completely fixed in one go.

Leahwood

Visit site
I would get a vet to look at her sounds like a pain related issue I wouldn't try and ride her at the moment
I am sure your vets will come up with answers but it sounds as if the issue has got worse because you have tried to continue rather than get professional help earlier, at the very least I would have had a vet and physio check within the first few days, assuming she was not vetted before purchase, has her saddle been looked at recently as she may have changed shape since you got her and that could be making matters worse, the spasms you see are a sign there is something going on that needs treating, it could be caused by so many things some may be easy to treat others may not be, the sooner you get started the sooner you will know.

She has probably been suffering for some time so may well take a long while to get over it and may well need a total rehab/ reschooling plan put into place which could mean many months of hard work ahead of you as it is unlikely to be something that will be able to be completely fixed in one go.
We have tried to get help. We were told she might of just been badly backed when we first got her. We did have a 5 stage vetting done on her. Unfortunately as I couldn't get on for
Looking for some advice. I will take her to the vets next week. I recently purchased a new pony in January. When she arrived she wasn't the best with someone getting on. She would stand still but when you went to get on she would become very tense. When you were getting on her, if you sat down in the saddle like you would normally she would bronke. At first we thought she might be cold backed , however the longer we have had her it has all changed. March time, she would get tense when you put your foot in the stirrup but would be ok when you sat down in the stirrup. However when you kicked her for the first time she would bronke. Now at the moment I can't get on her at all . This is because she now tries to bronke when you put your foot in the stirrup. We have found she is very sensitive around her elbow and her side. So when you touch her with your hand she does spasm. If you keep touching her in that area the spasms do go away. However if you don't touch her for a minute and touch her again in that area she spasms again. I have spoken to the owner before the people I purchased her from and apparently she has been bad to get on and that was the reason as to why they sold her. Unfortunately we were not told about this by the people who we bought her from. Just looking for some advice as it is not something I have experienced before.
We have lunged her in a saddle and she is brilliant . Very relaxed. As soon as we put the stirrups down and lunge her again she will go from walk to a full out broke and will not stop.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes we have. All ok. Just seems very odd as she is 6 years old , 7 in July and has apparently been doing this since a month or 2 after being backed.

But didn’t do it when you tried her out?

Anyway, after five months of a worsening situation, time for the vet I suspect.

Leahwood

Visit site
But didn’t do it when you tried her out?

Anyway, after five months of a worsening situation, time for the vet I suspect.
Unfortunately we didn't try her as she had been out of work for a couple of months. According to the seller it was because the girl who was riding her lost interest.

be positive

Visit site
Yes we have. All ok. Just seems very odd as she is 6 years old , 7 in July and has apparently been doing this since a month or 2 after being backed.

Did the previous owners get any checks orxrays done or did they just sell her, did you buy from a private home or a dealer? was blood taken at the vetting, it should have been so worth thinking about getting that tested if she was fine when tried, fine at the vetting yet you now know the behaviour was from very early in her ridden career so it does make you wonder what has gone on with the owner in the middle of the chain, have they offered any advice or help?

Just seen you didn't actually try her, that is not helpful as it really does sound as if they knew there was a problem and you have bought something without really knowing what you were getting, I really don't understand how people can be so trusting, even buying cheap horses is such a gamble now at the very least you should be to have a sit on, however long they have been out of work getting on for 10 mins is not going to do any harm.

Last edited:

PSD

Visit site
I know I seem to say it for most things, but have a check for ulcers too. My mare used to be okay (ish) to lunge but as soon as anyone got on she went vertical and this pony had never reared in her life so I knew something was wrong. Had her teeth, saddle back checked the lot. Vet scoped, grade 4 ulcers. She too worsened over time, worth mentioning to the vet I think.

Leahwood

Visit site
Did the previous owners get any checks orxrays done or did they just sell her, did you buy from a private home or a dealer? was blood taken at the vetting, it should have been so worth thinking about getting that tested if she was fine when tried, fine at the vetting yet you now know the behaviour was from very early in her ridden career so it does make you wonder what has gone on with the owner in the middle of the chain, have they offered any advice or help?
No one has had x-rays done , but I will probably end up doing so. She was sold by a dealer but as one of his own personal horses as he had bought the pony for his livery's . Yes we did get her blood taken so definitely worth asking my vets to have a look. I have been in contact with the person who I bought her off and they have denied everything. Even told me that she was sold to him as the lady had no time for her. When In fact it was because she couldn't get on .

Leahwood

Visit site
I know I seem to say it for most things, but have a check for ulcers too. My mare used to be okay (ish) to lunge but as soon as anyone got on she went vertical and this pony had never reared in her life so I knew something was wrong. Had her teeth, saddle back checked the lot. Vet scoped, grade 4 ulcers. She too worsened over time, worth mentioning to the vet I think.
Yes definitely a thing we have thought and will get checked next week

Reactions: PSD

Leahwood

Visit site
Sounds like you were well and truly shafted. I’d certainly have her thoroughly checked by your vet and providing that’s all good I would then move on to a good trainer who can work with you to re-start her.

Out of interest, was it your own vet who did the pre purchase vetting.?
We used a local vet to them as she was purchased up north 5 hours away from where I live. We have managed to find someone who bases their training through horsemanship but we want to check that there isn't anything medically wrong with her as we don't want to endanger anyone as she has cause me to fall off her twice ending up with concussion and bruised ribs

be positive

Visit site
No one has had x-rays done , but I will probably end up doing so. She was sold by a dealer but as one of his own personal horses as he had bought the pony for his livery's . Yes we did get her blood taken so definitely worth asking my vets to have a look. I have been in contact with the person who I bought her off and they have denied everything. Even told me that she was sold to him as the lady had no time for her. When In fact it was because she couldn't get on .

As she was not ridden at the vetting it will be a waste of money to get bloods run as you have no idea if she would have been good, it sounds as if the dealer bought her very cheap, possibly with a client in mind but it didn't work out when they failed to get on her, you came along and fell for the story and are now paying the price of not trying her, it is a common enough story sadly, I would get the vet to do a workup but put a limit on what they spend.
The behaviour is historic so not likely to be covered by insurance so be very careful about running up a huge bill for a pony that may not come right, it could be KS, or arthritic changes somewhere else which may not be easy to treat, ulcers are a possibility but unlikely to be the primary issue and with this type of scenario you can often go round in circles, spend many thousands and never really get the pony right.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We used a local vet to them as she was purchased up north 5 hours away from where I live. We have managed to find someone who bases their training through horsemanship but we want to check that there isn't anything medically wrong with her as we don't want to endanger anyone as she has cause me to fall off her twice ending up with concussion and bruised ribs

Providing she gets a clean bill of health, choose your trainer very, very carefully. I’m not really sure what your statement that I've emboldened means - but please check references and testimonials thoroughly before getting someone in.

Leahwood

Visit site
As she was not ridden at the vetting it will be a waste of money to get bloods run as you have no idea if she would have been good, it sounds as if the dealer bought her very cheap, possibly with a client in mind but it didn't work out when they failed to get on her, you came along and fell for the story and are now paying the price of not trying her, it is a common enough story sadly, I would get the vet to do a workup but put a limit on what they spend.
The behaviour is historic so not likely to be covered by insurance so be very careful about running up a huge bill for a pony that may not come right, it could be KS, or arthritic changes somewhere else which may not be easy to treat, ulcers are a possibility but unlikely to be the primary issue and with this type of scenario you can often go round in circles, spend many thousands and never really get the pony right.

Yes we found out that the previous owner sold her 3 times less than what we paid for her. It is all very odd as the guy did send me videos of the girl ridding her and she looks very settled. But to be honest if you didn't see me getting on her you would say she is almost like a riding school pony as you can literally do anything with her as is nearly bomb proof. After you have done the first initial kick she is literally like a riding school pony as you can kick her as much as you like and she just plods along

Leahwood

Visit site
Providing she gets a clean bill of health, choose your trainer very, very carefully. I’m not really sure what your statement that I've emboldened means - but please check references and testimonials thoroughly before getting someone in.
We have found someone who uses horsemanship with their training , so she will become more confident and comfortable rather than someone who will bully her into complying which is definitely not what we want .

Leahwood

Visit site
Was the pony bought from a dealer? Have you googled the dealers name (if it was)? I have a feeling they have mugged you off here and I would get a full vet workup done.
Yes she was sold by a dealer but she was sold as one of his personal horses . Everywhere I have looked gives him a good name . It is very odd , definitely will be getting one done

TPO

Visit site
I think you just have to start where you are and go from there.

It doesnt matter what the horse was sold for or as previously. You willingly bought a horse for £X without riding it (did you view in person? Not a slight, I've bought unseen before).

It now doesnt matter what any previous owner or seller tells you. You have what you have and when buying "from the field" you are taking a risk no matter how valid the reasons for turning away sound.

I'm presuming that the horse passed the 5 stage vetting and that is why you bought her.

Whatever *should* have been done in the past is gine now so no point worrying about it.

First thing is to get a vet out for check up. If there is nothing to be found when the horse is assessed and palpated by the vet then make sure they watch you tack up and get on/ride.

If they find something then follow their advice.

If they dont then it would be wise to take this horse back to the very basics and re-back. During this time, as well as working with a suitable trainer, find a good therapist (bodyworker/physio/chiro/osteo) and saddle fitter. These people should all work together; "it takes a village".

A horse going from no work then into work should be on a slow and steady fitness plan. Depending on how long she has been turned away but a 12wk fitness plan would be about the norm for a turned away horse. What level of work is she currently in?

During this 5mth period of work she will have changed shape due to changing seasons and level of work. Saddle fit will definitely have changed during that time because of the changes to her lifestyle.

Has she had her teeth done and does her bridle fit (often overlooked)?

be positive

Visit site
Yes she was sold by a dealer but she was sold as one of his personal horses . Everywhere I have looked gives him a good name . It is very odd , definitely will be getting one done

They cannot have a personal horse that belongs to a livery, it is a way of trying to avoid it going through the books so they think there is no comeback, a definite sign they knew they would have problems if you tried to send it back so they spun a story so you didn't even try, they must have rubbed their hands in glee when they knew you were not even going to view, a win for them as they didn't even have to try and show you her ridden.
5 hours is a long way to go so I get why you didn't but were there no others nearer that appealed to you, I feel sorry for you and the pony but I really do not understand why anyone does this, there are so many dealers conning people, getting away with it and probably still getting good reviews from a few satisfied clients, any bad reviews just get removed.
It is an expensive purchase, even more so when a 5 stage vetting is done, but unlike buying a car, sofa or even a puppy a horse may have numerous issues that are not obvious until you get on and ride them, they have quirks, can be sharp, may have a temperament that just doesn't suit some people and that is without taking into account the level of schooling, the riders ability and expectations yet it seems to be more common to buy unseen than it ever used to be.
In my time buying and selling I think I sold one untried, seen by a trainer but not the young rider, I bought a few cheaper horses unseen but they were to bring on and sell not my personal horses, most turned out ok but a few were pts, went as companions or were sold at a loss, I would be less inclined to buy unseen now as there are far more dodgy dealer types around than there used to be and even with the ease of checking it can be hard to find out the truth.

Leahwood

Visit site
I find it hard to believe that a dealer who's business it is selling horses couldn't ride or find someone to ride the horse before selling?

However, this is the pony you have now got so I wish you all the best in trying to get to the bottom of it all.
Now thinking back it is a bit odd. But the guy was 7ft and she is a small 14.2hh so would say he would be too big to ride her. The girls who did ride her was apparently 10 years old. But he apparently had no one to ride her for the vetting