New Riding Hat?.... Recommendations please!

HairyCoblet

Visit site
Im being treated to a new riding hat for christmas!
I prefer the jockey skull caps so was just wondering what the best ones are at the moment?

Im after something comfy that doesnt make my head look HUGGEEEEE!!

Ive been looking at the Gatehouse hs1?

Chococat

Visit site
My daughter had a HS1 which she really liked but opted for a Protector skull cap when she needed a new hat. She loves it and I believe they are the same standard.

pansymouse

Visit site
I strongly recommend that you have a professional fitting and buy what feels comfortable and fits properly. I deeply dislike the look of my new hat but it feels great, is the latest standard and as I'm not going to be looking in a mirror whilst I'm riding I've had to get over myself.

Wheels

Visit site
All makes fit differently, even within the same brand some will fit differently to others. You need to go and try some on :)

Wheels

Visit site
I've just bought a gatehouse rxc1. It's the only hat with Snell E2001 standard that fits, the liner is removeable and washable which is a bonus. It's comfortable for me because it fits well but might not fit your type of head so my recommendation remains to go and try a few on somewhere :)

seelig

Visit site
My daughters Gatehoue HS1 Strap has split after 7 months it cost me £140, i been told they are only guaranteed for 6 months so I am now looking for a new hat as i feel it is not save now.Good luck

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
It spilt right at the top of the strap where it is fix to the hat not happy.

I would be going back to them. They may say the guarantee is only 6 months but that is irrelevant to their legal obligations to make sure it is free of defects and will last for a reasonable period of time. Which sounds like neither in this case. Trading standards might be another optionl since the break isn't in a place that can be caused by user misusing the product.

They are being daft, I'm looking for a hat and won't be considering a Gatehouse now!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It spilt right at the top of the strap where it is fix to the hat not happy.
Was it the shop you bought the hat from or Gatehouse itself who told that you have no comeback, as the hat is out of guarantee? I agree with Lachlanandmarcus, I would pursue this through the appropriate channels. (I'm no expert on consumer law so can't add anything useful).

seelig

Visit site
I bought it at a competition rang a tack shop who told me Gatehouse only give 6 month guarantee.I have rang Gatehouse many time over this and send photos where i was told they had not had another strap spilt on a HS1 then i got a e-mail from them by accident which said Hi Tracey This is the OTHER split HS1 Strap,this lady has been unable to supply purchase date and retailer. I do kown the purchase date and i rang and asked how 3 hours ago you told me you had no other split HS1 Strap she said it just came in after mine. I told them they do not care about my daughters safety.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I loved my HS1 until the new 4 star came out (Charles Owen I think). It is also to the SNELL standard, PAS and EN. BUT this one is SO cool, as in so much air coming in that sometimes I think I have forgotten to put it on.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I have a HS1 which I quite like, and will continue to wear for XC, but I recently invested in a charles owen ayr8, and it's the comfiest hat i've ever worn. I had my heart set on a champion ventair, but it made me feel like a blue mushroom, and decided that the HS1 wasn't ever a perfect fit hence my considering other makes. In the ayr8, my head is constantly cool but feels protected. I know you said you'd prefer a skull, but CO do a skull equivalent which is the gr8. When I finally replace my HS1, I think that's what I'll replace it with.