Newly backed pony won’t move forwards

ktj1891

Visit site
I’ve just rebacked an 8 year old and she’s been so good so far.
But now I am on board she doesn’t want to move forwards. I pony club kick and have even flicked reins and barely get a few steps. Past 2 days I have carried a schooling whip and it’s helped but I still have to constantly kick to keep her moving.

I don’t want it to be a bad experience for her so thinking maybe I should just start hacking in company?

The only concern I have with that is she’s quite horse attached/motivated and I don’t want to be a month down the line and she’s great in company but will refuse to move or go anywhere on her own.

Video from today. Please don’t judge it was hard just trying to keep her walking.

Polos Mum

Visit site
What's she like to lunge from voice commands in that saddle? or long reining

Lots of tail swishing and bunny hop steps - don't look good. Has the physio seen her?

I'd go back a step and have her moving a bit better on the ground before you get back on again.

TheMule

Visit site
It's not easy because she looks like she's spooking at something on the outside too?
To teach a horse to move off the leg there needs to be an escalation of aid and a reward by removing the pressure. In this video all you do is thump her side with the leg and then pull back when she reacts (goes to trot) which is going to teach her nothing and just make her more dead to it.
Cue a simple voice aid (one click or a 'walk on') with a gentle pressure from the leg and as soon as she walks, take the leg off. If she doesn’t walk on, give her a little sharp kick, backed up with a tap from a schooling whip if you need, but release the hand as you do so she can move forward.

ktj1891

Visit site
Does the saddle fit?

have you taught her on the ground cues to move forwards?

Yes she had saddle fitted last week. Yes she’s being doing lots on the ground. Understands voice and kiss sounds to move forward. Woo and whistle to stop.

TRT method of getting the hindquarters to step over and through and backing up. Ground work still needs to continue throughout the process which I will do.

ktj1891

Visit site
What's she like to lunge from voice commands in that saddle? or long reining

Lots of tail swishing and bunny hop steps - don't look good. Has the physio seen her?

I'd go back a step and have her moving a bit better on the ground before you get back on again.

She lunges fine on single rein but not great on double reins again doesn’t want to move forward. She’s bunny hopping because I flicking her with schooling whip.

Chiropractor is coming out mid-Aug. I’ve done it all correctly. She’s had her saddle fitted, teeth done, worm count, trim today. So she’s all MOT’d.

ktj1891

Visit site
It's not easy because she looks like she's spooking at something on the outside too?
To teach a horse to move off the leg there needs to be an escalation of aid and a reward by removing the pressure. In this video all you do is thump her side with the leg and then pull back when she reacts (goes to trot) which is going to teach her nothing and just make her more dead to it.
Cue a simple voice aid (one click or a 'walk on') with a gentle pressure from the leg and as soon as she walks, take the leg off. If she doesn’t walk on, give her a little sharp kick, backed up with a tap from a schooling whip if you need, but release the hand as you do so she can move forward.

Yeah completely get this but she just continually stops. I checked her obviously accidentally as it was the first time I carried the stick and flicked it with her. I do need to work on keeping my legs still though after giving her the aid but she does just stop. I suppose I am over working to keep her going. She is a little spooky in there but I’ve done spook busting with her and she doesn’t give a damn usually. Walked straight over tarp, pushed an exercise ball, walked through fillers, jumped up and down on mini trampoline next to her etc

Marigold4

Visit site
What about getting someone to lunge you? Leave reins alone and get the person on the ground to ask her forward with the lunge whip. Sit very still, don't use your legs, so she can just concentrate on the feel of carrying you. She looks like she might explode if you carry on with current tactics.

ktj1891

Visit site
That‘s one unhappy looking horse. Odd snatching movement behind, whether that is a reaction to poor saddle fit or something more serious is not clear.

Why is she being rebacked?
Owners just didn’t continue with her after she was initially backed as a 4 year old.

she’s reacting because I flicked her with a schooling whip.

ktj1891

Visit site
What's she like with a rider on board on the lunge (so forwards cues coming from lunger not rider)?

Well we did that...and she was a lot better. Even trotted a good bit. Although was still backwards but she definitely got the idea a lot better.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Maybe more time lunging / long reining to really get her moving forward from your voice very easily.

Did she go better in the old saddle ? - sometimes they just hate saddles even when they 'fit'

TheMule

Visit site
Yeah completely get this but she just continually stops. I checked her obviously accidentally as it was the first time I carried the stick and flicked it with her. I do need to work on keeping my legs still though after giving her the aid but she does just stop. I suppose I am over working to keep her going. She is a little spooky in there but I’ve done spook busting with her and she doesn’t give a damn usually. Walked straight over tarp, pushed an exercise ball, walked through fillers, jumped up and down on mini trampoline next to her etc

OK, then definitely just go hacking. I have a sensitive mare who was very witchy to the leg (still is!) so the clearer you make it and the less you need to use it the better. Teach her the concept out hacking.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She looks very uncomfortable in her back end. I wouldn't be riding until you find out why.

How well do you know the previous owners? Why did they back her and then stop riding?.

ktj1891

Visit site
What about getting someone to lunge you? Leave reins alone and get the person on the ground to ask her forward with the lunge whip. Sit very still, don't use your legs, so she can just concentrate on the feel of carrying you. She looks like she might explode if you carry on with current tactics.

She was a lot better on the lunge.

doodle

Visit site
Echo that she looks like she will explode shortly. She is not happy and is telling you so. I also think she looks odd behind. How often do you go in the school? She may be bored from too much (Robin is established and hates going in the school too often). I think she needs a proper check over from the vet and if nothing found then hack hack hack. Let her follow another horse and learn that being ridden is fun.

ktj1891

Visit site
She looks very uncomfortable in her back end. I wouldn't be riding until you find out why.

How well do you know the previous owners? Why did they back her and then stop riding?.
She’s not like that behind at all when I’m not on her. She’s just doesn’t want to go forwards when I am on. On the lunge she’s very flicky and tracks up well.

ycbm

Visit site
She’s not like that behind at all when I’m not on her. She’s just doesn’t want to go forwards when I am on. On the lunge she’s very flicky and tracks up well.

So she doesn't tolerate your weight. That's not unusual, a friend of mine has just retired an 8 year old who is absolutely fine unless she is sat on, when she dies what yours is doing.

She doesn't look to be like a newly backed house who doesn't understand. She looks to me like a horse with a problem.

ktj1891

Visit site
Echo that she looks like she will explode shortly. She is not happy and is telling you so. I also think she looks odd behind. How often do you go in the school? She may be bored from too much (Robin is established and hates going in the school too often). I think she needs a proper check over from the vet and if nothing found then hack hack hack. Let her follow another horse and learn that being ridden is fun.
So she’s done all her groundwork/lunging in school and the few times I have gotten on now.

I’m thinking hacking may help so going to try that next.

ycbm

Visit site
Why did the owners break her and not carry on riding? It's very suspicious with the horse now not wanting to be ridden. Please be careful, she looks to me like she might explode if you push her too far.

ktj1891

Visit site
OK, then definitely just go hacking. I have a sensitive mare who was very witchy to the leg (still is!) so the clearer you make it and the less you need to use it the better. Teach her the concept out hacking.
Yep I think so. I will try and see how we get on. Tbh I know straight away she will do a lot better following another horse. She’s the same when you lead her away from horses doesn’t want to walk.

ktj1891

Visit site
Why did the owners break her and not carry on riding? It's very suspicious with the horse now not wanting to be ridden. Please be careful, she looks to me like she might explode if you push her too far.
They didn’t break her my YO did. She went back and they didn’t continue. I don’t know the reason why except they hunt and I think they was expecting a bigger horse as they bred her but I know she wasn’t naughty or that there was any issues.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She was a lot better on the lunge.

In that case you need to take her back onto the lunge, get her reacting to the voice and re-introduce the leg aids. Then I suggest you have some lessons on a different horse and concentrate on keeping your legs still and quiet on the horse's side. This horse was walking forwards, admittedly not quickly but she was going forwards and you just kept nagging at her.

twiggy2

Visit site
I have backed a few but been the person in the group fir many being backed, if I was on the ground with a rider on something that behaved like that the rider would be back off before the horse exploded. For whatever reason that horse looks very unhappy in that video, I always start thwm with a rider on board on the lunge with no reins so even if the rider loses balance the horse is received no negative reaction in the mouth from the rider losing balance.
I would not continue until a full vet check had been done as it may or may not be pain that is causing issues.