Newly backed pony won’t move forwards

tristar

Visit site
oh silly me, i always thought a circle was a gymnastic move to make the horse step under itself, and a considerable effort to do it well, and carry itself and the rider in balance,

in fact a challenge to find the balance, and not for a horse that can barely trot forwards

you learn something every day

Visit site
But the horse must learn aids to go forwards before anything surely.....So if it goes forwards on the lunge, keep everything the same but remove the lunge line, then build up from there, going large when proper aids are established? If the horse never properly understands 'go' you'll never be able to even think about gymnastic-ism.

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Huh, when did we start discussing the intricacies of a circle!?!

I wonder how the horse is possibly able to balance when on the lunge with a rider, especially when it was a bit spooky around the edge in the first video that you haven't seen tristar.

Reactions: TPO

ktj1891

Visit site
I just can't win it seems. But whether it's clear to people or not I am trying my best and doing what I believe is right for my pony and I at that moment in time. I do not profess to being perfect and this is my first horse that I am starting from scratch.

Just FYI. I am riding on the circle because we just un-clipped her from the lunge line after going really well on the line. I wanted to see how she would react to just my aids and she didn't disappoint and did everything I wanted.

Keira 8888

Visit site
I just can't win it seems. But whether it's clear to people or not I am trying my best and doing what I believe is right for my pony and I at that moment in time. I do not profess to being perfect and this is my first horse that I am starting from scratch.

Just FYI. I am riding on the circle because we just un-clipped her from the lunge line after going really well on the line. I wanted to see how she would react to just my aids and she didn't disappoint and did everything I wanted.
Sounds like you are doing an amazing job! Keep going girl! Your pony is absolutely beautiful and you look great together. As another poster said “there are many roads to Rome” - I love that expression! Looks like you are making so much progress - just keep believing in yourself. It’s obviously working ???

dominobrown

Visit site
Agree about using clearer voice aids, however I think the horse still 'thinks' it is on the lunge and the person on the ground is still somewhat 'helping', so if you feel safe and the horse offers take the circle as big as possible, but I understand why you have chosen to do what you have.

However OP... a lot better. If she was my horse I would go for baby hacks now, as well as continuing what you re already doing, as sometimes when you are on a track, lane etc it gives the horse more of feeling of a clear path forward, as the idea of doing school work is still foreign to them. She looks like a sweet horse and get an honest little horse. Still spend time on your groundwork and you will progress well.

Marigold4

Visit site
When I started hacking my newly backed, I did TINY hacks. Just down to the end of our lane and back. Once he was comfortable with that, I added about 100 yards, once comfortable with that a little further. Little by little I have got him confident with going out through the village and up into the woods along a bridleway where I had led him inhand beforehand. It's taken 3 weeks to build up to a 30 mins hack, but he has not put a foot wrong and is happy hacking out on his own with just OH for company. Do the hacking in baby steps and she will get there and you will be safe.

ktj1891

Visit site
Update: today was a major breakthrough. Completely different pony.

I have been working on ground with her, hacking out, working her in our pond and popped a fence on the lunge and she’s been really good.

Today, I got on by myself on the yard and managed to walk her into the school on my own and ride her around the school with no help from the ground. Positive steps.