Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxylola

Visit site
I saw this on Facebook, bit disappointed that the BD page took it down and implied she was mud slinging and unjustified.
I felt she was quite reasonable in what she said. It's a terrible tragedy for her - slurry disposal is a huge danger; I remember when I first loaned a horse we rented stables on a dairy farm and the muck heap was a case of tipping your barrow off the top in to the slurry below, I was often up there alone and the thought of falling genuinely terrified me

ihatework

Visit site
It’s pretty horrific isn’t it.
I suppose when you have the numbers of horses passing through your hands as they do it’s inevitable that there will be accidents/losses at times. But the general gist I’ve heard over the last couple of years is the general attitude to clients.
That, in addition to a vitriolic and unprofessional post from Newnton last season about semen quality and I have to say they have gone on my list of establishments not to get involved with.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I saw this too - I think an important part to note is that this was not slurry; yes it was a slurry pit but in fact was filled with meat sludge from the abattoir which they then spread on their fields. Not wholly relevant to the horses awful death but is relevant to some of the other points made against this yard. I am glad she got her way in/out of court, credit to her for fighting this to the bitter end, they should be held completely liable.

The amount of people who have come forward with stories of having their horses die at the hands of these people is shocking, I hadn't heard of them before and was super surprised to see Carl Hester had one of his broodmares there. (No comment on Carl, I have not a single bad word to say about him, just usually controversial yards don't have any names of note anywhere near them.)

TheMule

Visit site
Unfortunately there's a lot coming out on social media about them, this doesn’t seem to be an isolated incident. I agree you have to consider they are a large operation with many horses coming through their doors through the breeding season so of course there are going to be illnesses, injuries and losses, but you can’t forgive the lack of honest communication and then appalling unprofessional behavior on social media.
I gave them a mare for ET. I certainly wouldn’t if I had known their reputation ?

ihatework

Visit site
AShetlsndBitMeOnce - they are a big and relatively well respected breeding establishment, with good repro vets, a LOT of supporters, big name and big value horses go there. I’ve got personal friends who are very supportive of them.

It sounds to me like they are very good ... until they aren’t, then they don’t have the clients back

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
AShetlsndBitMeOnce - they are a big and relatively well respected breeding establishment, with good repro vets, a LOT of supporters, big name and big value horses go there. I’ve got personal friends who are very supportive of them.

It sounds to me like they are very good ... until they aren’t, then they don’t have the clients back

Ohh right, that's my lack of knowledge then, I knew through reading the post that they're an established name but I didn't know that they're generally quite well thought of.

Roxylola

Visit site
Did they :eek:

it's not like she is the only one given the issues with other youngstock that has been lost on the site. (iirc mostly R. equi issues)
Yes, although I now can't find the post they put up about it. I think it seemed to be the implication of the rider being involved somehow they mainly objected to. As others have commented though it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident and while they are pretty top notch until things go wrong

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes, although I now can't find the post they put up about it. I think it seemed to be the implication of the rider being involved somehow they mainly objected to. As others have commented though it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident and while they are pretty top notch until things go wrong
i think the person who closed the post is connected to the people involved in other ways though, the BD groups on FB are not administered by BD so will be prone to these kind of personal decisions.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The sludge from the abattoir is basically what you cut out of the dead animal's intestines- it is very commonly used as a fertilizer, it isn't a meat product. It is a bit disgusting, but not really a welfare issue in itself IMO

I think the implication in some of the posts on the original post about the stud is that this could be a contributory factor for the high rate of illness that seems to run through the stud. I have no idea on whether this could be right or not, I know nothing about it.

Roxylola

Visit site
The sludge from the abattoir is basically what you cut out of the dead animal's intestines- it is very commonly used as a fertilizer, it isn't a meat product. It is a bit disgusting, but not really a welfare issue in itself IMO
Feels a bit Frankenfoods though in my (uneducated) opinion.
I know how fertiliser works and excrement is excrement etc and I'm assuming it would have time to be absorbed before any stock was on that land, but from an abattoir do they really have time and motivation to ensure there are no animal remains in it at all?
And from there it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to look at how mixing meat in to herbivore food chains landed us with bse and cjd.
From an ignorant bystander, with an interest in horses, that alone would make me think twice about sending a horse there ?‍♀️

sport horse

Visit site
I did hear that they have Rhodococcus Equi which if you google it could well be the cause of some of the reported deaths. I made this known to someone who had a horse at Newton, that person had said horse blood tested when it returned to them and it tested positive. This will be in the soil so a long term problem.

TheMule

Visit site
Feels a bit Frankenfoods though in my (uneducated) opinion.
I know how fertiliser works and excrement is excrement etc and I'm assuming it would have time to be absorbed before any stock was on that land, but from an abattoir do they really have time and motivation to ensure there are no animal remains in it at all?
And from there it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to look at how mixing meat in to herbivore food chains landed us with bse and cjd.
From an ignorant bystander, with an interest in horses, that alone would make me think twice about sending a horse there ?‍♀️

I only have experience from one abattoir so I'm not certain, it's done pretty quickly and I can imagine it's full of adult worms etc. I wouldnt want it anywhere near my land, I've spent time in the gut room ?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
No, it drowned in a slurry pit.
I think what makes this even stranger is she was an Olympic dressage horse, that the rider was taking to the olympics (short list anyway). You would think a yard would treat an Olympic horse like they were made of gold!

I know no horse deserves to go like that but when an owner is paying thousands for that calibre of horse ?

SEL

Visit site
I think what makes this even stranger is she was an Olympic dressage horse, that the rider was taking to the olympics (short list anyway). You would think a yard would treat an Olympic horse like they were made of gold!

I know no horse deserves to go like that but when an owner is paying thousands for that calibre of horse ?

I wouldn't even let my 3 legged fluffy crowd near a slurry pit and I'm fairly relaxed about turnout conditions!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I wouldn't even let my 3 legged fluffy crowd near a slurry pit and I'm fairly relaxed about turnout conditions!
Well quite! If it was their horse though at least that is just their problem, but this was someone's pride and joy! How they can just dismiss it as they have and not be so so apologetic is just baffling. That's what puts me off really, how can they have so little care.

Status
Not open for further replies.