Newton Stud slurry death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
What a terribly sad story. Even if you take the fire and inevitable confusion around it into consideration, the simple fact of the matter is that a pool of waste or slurry should be completely securely fenced off from both horses and humans. This was a completely avoidable accident and even if I ignore the stud's response since, the attitude of being so lax about this just stinks. They're lucky a child has never messed around on their land, this was a serious accident waiting to happen. They're either naive idiots or willfully negligent.

conniegirl

Visit site
I don't really think the fire is relevant. I have a 21 box yard and our fire plan is to evacuate into the two large fields adjacent to the yard. Mares into one and geldings the other. These horses are usually on individual turnout so I suppose this could potentially result in a fatal kick- that would be an accident. A horse or anyone/anything else being able to fall into a slurry pit whatever the circumstances is negligence!
This exactly, had the mare slipped and broke a leg, or been kicked that would have been a tragic accident.

Our yard has several paddocks and yards that horses will be turned out into in the event of a fire. yes the horses normaly on individual turnout would be bunged in with them and there is always a risk when horses go in with each other for the first time.
once the initial evacuation is done the fire brigade wont let you near the yard whilst they deal with the fire so it makes sense to go back and start separating horses and putting them in separate paddocks, catch the antisocial horses and pop the in more far flung fields whilst Checking that no horse has injured itself, no one is colicing due to the stress. 12hrs to check a horse that has just been evacuated from a fire is just not good enough.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
This exactly!

It seems like young, otherwise healthy horses have been dying there for years
But they are highly respected professionals...... so it cant possibly be there methods and ethics now can it..... I mean what type of a low end livery yard would allow animals to have rhodococcus rampaging in its animals and say nothing. ! anyone can have a disease outbreak the decent honest yards dont cover it up. They work with the owners and thus guarantee there credibility. This lot well I just wouldn't believe them in they said its was the 25th of feb 2021....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

celeste-izzy

Visit site
HHO CSI Foundation Level Award, it wasn’t too had to suss them out, was it :D.

Ha no! I'd come off nights, scanned through and thought oh....theyve appeared. Hard to say which is which, but they've both been very active on FB recently.
Eurodressage also wrote a report about Elite Stallions, I didn't bother to read it.

JaneSewell

Visit site
i dont want to go off the thread, but how on earth do you get a dead horse out of a pit full of hazardous substances?

That is a very good question.. no explanation was ever offered ... There was no narrative whatsoever of how they removed the body from the slurry lagoon ...I did not see any body ... there was no vet report or post mortem ... Utterly extraordinary!!

JaneSewell

Visit site
i dont want to go off the thread, but how on earth do you get a dead horse out of a pit full of hazardous substances?

... you would think that would be a key part of the correspondence between us but it has never once been addressed. I have never been told how she was recovered, I have never seen a body, there was no veterinary report... nothing on her passport ... quite bizarre

meleeka

Visit site
I'm pretty certain that, sadly, the mare was not recovered from the sludge lagoon.
... you would think that would be a key part of the correspondence between us but it has never once been addressed. I have never been told how she was recovered, I have never seen a body, there was no veterinary report... nothing on her passport ... quite bizarre
They didn’t even tell you what happened to her body?? That’s truly awful ?

Ossy2

Visit site
How absolutely weird, what evidence is there that the horse actually died? I mean you have to wonder how you actually prove a horse has actually died with no body and no report.

horsimous

Visit site
Gosh, how bizarre if that was just a pony we’d all think it had been stolen.

I also find it odd that hay/straw would be kept in the same building as livestock or even close proximity. I always thought that was a massive No?

JaneSewell

Visit site
[Content removed]

I also find it odd that hay/straw would be kept in the same building as livestock or even close proximity. I always thought that was a massive No?

Yes .... utterly bizarre ... and not 'just a pony' they are all so invaluable to us... but many people think the same...

and to your second point absolutely!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fandabbydozy

New User
Visit site
It is unimaginable! ???
Did you ever ask what happened to her body? Not a pleasant question but I would want to know ? Between the fire brigade & the farmer it would have been very possible to get her out. And if you are right & her body was never recovered then that shows them in their true light...’Oh well she’s dead we’ll just leave her there’ no respect no compassion. Disgusting

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

Yeah, it's a "no" and certainly not an ideal practice, but it is fairly common. I think many people don't consider this when designing a yard.

The stud seem very unprofessional/I had to ask myself if the place were actually being run by full grown adults. Between the semen situation, this, and other happenings, I am utterly confused and turned off by their odd, dishonest, and frankly immature behavior. It's not difficult to act professional and business-like. Even when sh*t happens, because horses, you still don't need to be deceptive or making a mockery.

Due to the amount of NDA's mentioned amongst other behaviors, it gives me an on feeling about what is going on. NDA's are common practice in some industries and situations, I am not sure, however, why a Stud would put them to use so frequently...for clients. Then, why exactly are people signing these instead of settling an issue and moving along/possibly being able to speak about it. Maybe I am missing something and it's a simple answer.

Either way, you can only sweep so much dirt under the rug.

Again, sh*t can happen with horses sometimes, even with preventative measures, and I get that, but this seems to go a bit beyond that.

I also apologise if this is insensitive, but how or why does a horse go into a slurry pit? Did the horse just run in a blind panic and just fall in? Idk, many horses are weird about puddles, never mind a slurry pit. Or is the ground around it soft and it's sort of like being sucked into a mud bog or something? Idk. As others mentioned you'd think there would be enough fencing to deter a horse from getting in.

Circe

Visit site
My heart goes out to the owner of this poor mare who drowned in the slurry pit. What an appalling occurrence, I am devastated reading this thread. If this had been my horse I would be beside myself . This should never have happened. Newton Stud failed miserably in their duty of care to their clients horses.

This^. Reading what happened to this poor horse brings tears to my eyes, but then to discover they never recovered the mare is just terrible.
Kx

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
With no body and no record of a body [photographs/video/fire service report] I'd be highly suspicious that, that mare is perhaps not deceased....

This is getting more and more concerning. Given all the other stuff that has been pointed out, it makes me suspicious too.

Status
Not open for further replies.