NFU insurance????

xmariax

Visit site
has anybody had any dealings with them, they have been recommended to me but i wanted a second opinion, im thinking of moving from petplan.

thanks

rema

Visit site
Have never made a claim (touches wood) but they are very friendly and seem to know their stuff,premiums are very good too.
grin.gif

Louby

Visit site
Ive been with them years and have never had anything to complain about. They have paid out LOU, death, major vets claims without a quibble. My premiums have pretty much stayed the same and I now have my horsebox insured with them. Great company.

galaxy

Visit site
Have made 2 previous claims before this year. Vets fees and damaged trailer. Both times they paid out no problem. (in fact with the trailer they were fantastic, it was damaged by a barn fire that was also insured by them but belonged to someone else, and they took all the incident details off their claim form to save me finding it out!)

This year I've had to claim for vets fees and sadly having my boy PTS a month ago. I haven't received the final cheque yet, but spoke to them Sat and they said they were paying out in full no problem. They have been VERY short staffed in their claims department this year, but once dealt with they've been fab, and the guy I spoke to Sat said they had just recruited loads of people and they were being trained up. He was really lovely, as have everyone I've spoken to there been.

I'd highly recommend.

JoJo_

Visit site
I got my first horse's insurance from NFU. Started May 2008, made my first claim Aug-Sept 2008. They paid out easily and wasnt that slow either. Plus my monthly premiums went down £2-3 after a year which was nice! Had no trouble at all with them
smile.gif

sqippa

Visit site
They are all pretty dodgy at the moment I believe. From what I hear from my vets if they can find a way out they will ALL try to avoid paying so if you are swapping just ensure that you read the small print, get them to send you the policy wording and if there is any doubt, ask!!

Sqip

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Been with them for years. Made two big claims and had no problems with them at all.

I would recommend them.

galaxy

Visit site
Really don't think NFU are having difficulties paying out. When my vet asked which insurance I was with she assured me I wouldn't have any issues because they, unlike others are paying out no troubles. And true to form they are.

They could easily have quibbled over the amount he was insured for for death, he was 17, but they haven't. (he was worth it, but was expecting to have to justify it, they've just taken my word for it)

WeeBrown

Visit site
They've recently taken on more staff and are going to be doing big discounts for existing customers next year for their anniversary......I had a VERY long chat with an NFU guy last week when sorting out insurance for my car
shocked.gif
grin.gif
he was lovely but a chatterbox.

nicolaread

Visit site
ive been insured with them for years, was so impressed i moved my car insurance 2 b with them 2. ive made 2 claims, paid out eaisly both times, + quickly. + i find them cheaper than anybody else!! very highly recommend them!

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
I am with them, had a major claim with them last year and they were very good - they paid the vet directly and quickly. They have loaded my vets bill premium by 50% this year though (on a different horse) which I was a bit peeved by but still chose to stay with them as I know they pay out.

mtj

Visit site
I've got my house and cars insured with NFU, but have stopped the horse insurance.

they have changed their veterinary exclusions policy since last year and changed an excess on my policy to an exclusion. this excess was applied due to the horse's purchase vetting and has not been claimed on in the 7 years I have owned him.

i understand petplan has a more relaxed attitude to veterinary exclusions so I would clarify what NFU plan to exclude before taking out the policy.

the limited number of claims we have made have always been dealt with fairly.

suzyseymour

Visit site
I have claimed a total of just under £5000 over a 12 month period for arthritis. Have had no problems witht them paying, even getting sent up to Royal Dick and changing vets, bone scans.

Horse box also covered, and have had to be rescued by them 3 times including having the box towed back from Royal Dick (well over 100 miles) and a box comming to rescue me and my mare. Again, they have been really good.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I have claimed twice through them, my vet asks who I am insured with and when I say NFU, they just sort out all the paperwork. Always very helpful on the phone too.

SuzySue

Visit site
I rang them Friday for a quote on new horse; they said they would call back but didn't, and still haven't, and it's too late now as I've gone with someone else. Not particularly impressed, when everyone else quoted immediately.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've been with NFU for years & have rarely had to claim however they have always paid out promptly. I even have my house & contents insured with them.
smile.gif

sqippa ..... I think you need to be careful what you repeat, NFU have never been anything less than reputable!
mad.gif

alwaysbroke

Visit site
No grips with office staff or time taken to pay out, BUT serious problem last year with the vet employed by NFU. My mare had had any injury in the field and over the weeks was becoming progressivley worse. Two very experienced vets from the practice I use wanted to PTS she was suffering so much it was piteful to watch. NFU vet HADN'T seen her, and refused to allow us to send a video of her by mobile phone, and wanted to keep her going for TWO weeks, or risk losing payment.
I totally refused to do this and my vets agreed with me. On pm they found damage to her hock which would never have recovered, an area of dead tissue which wouldnt have shown on scan or xray, but would have increased in size, become infected asnd made the poor girl suffer even more.
Needless to say huge complaint to NFU and claim settled in days!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Another vote for NFU here, they have made out a couple of hefty claims without a quibble. My vets said they were one of the better companies for paying out claims promptly.

irishdraught

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Been with them for years. Made two big claims and had no problems with them at all.

I would recommend them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

Based on my experience regarding vets bills on 2 different horses, would recommend,

sqippa

Visit site
For you maybe, but we can only speak of our own experiences, however that was not the point of my post.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I stated that ALL insurance companies are being very strict at present and so my advice was to check policy wording carefully to ensure that you are getting the cover you are expecting. Getting any prospective company to send you their polocy wording is simply a good bit of advice. Then if there is anything you are unsure about you can phone them and ask before you sign on the dotted line.

I am glad that you have had positive experiences with your insurance company but please be aware that not everyone does and so warning someone to be careful of what they repeat when they are offering sensible advise is rather unhelpful given the nature of this thread.

The reality is that there are some very good companies out there and some bad ones. Pet plan over excellenty levels of cover but you certainly pay for it. NFU don't cost as much but you also do not get the same cover when you study the policy wording so it really depends what you want from your policy. Both however will only cover what they specify in the policy wording so check this out thoroughly or you may be in for a nasty shock.

Sqip