Nightmare terrier strikes again!

Bens_Mum

Visit site
I've posted about this before but I'm at my whits end. To put this in context I'm a very sleep deprived parent of a 18 months old which doesn't help and I'm trying to run a business from home and I'm shattered.

I have two dogs one small terrier bitch and a big hairy thing. Ive had both dogs for well over five years. The terrier has serious attitude as they do but just bullies the big dog mercilessly. Currently the big dog is bald as she has pulled all her hair out. Coming down to clean is up isn't much fun daily either not to mention the other dog looks ridiculous.

She has now taken to picking a fight constantly and biting and attacking the other dog. No blood or anything has been spilt yet but it's incredibly noisy endlessly wakes up the baby. Last night the baby had me up five times on its own with another 3 from the bloody dog. This has been happening for weeks. When you watch it she's just goes up to the other dog and pesters it endlessly I can't see why or what she is doing?

They get decent walks and I'm here all day working from home. She's got such an attitude if you tell her off or anything and I can't have her in the same room as the baby at all so things are rather stressful. I treat both dogs completely the same so there's no jealously that I can think of.

Alone she is fine very well trained, don't need a lead etc but she picked a massive fight with a lab the other day on the shoot as we were chatting which she has never done before either notably on the lead but it's just so stressful.

I have never rehomed a dog but she's doing my nut. She isn't spayed but at 6 i am not sure this would change anything? She's great round the yard and doesn't chew is perfect in the house I'm just wondering if she would be better with someone else? I feel bad because my interactions with her at the moment all seem to be negative which I hate but it's constant.

Any suggestions?

Bellasophia

Visit site
I think you need to think hard if you really want to rehome her as she's not an easy dog for anyone to take on...there are specific terrier rescues who maybe could help you if you decide she's not able to stay with you.id do that rather than advertise her ,especially as she is entire.
http://www.terrierrescue.co.uk/
Maybe they could advise you about her change of behavior,as they are experts in the breed?
I'd be separating her from the other dog ,in the meantime,if she's tearing her hair and ragging her...it's really not fair on the other dog.
Can she not sleep in your room at night? Maybe you'd get a bit more sleep if she was settled with you?
Has all this kicked off since you've had the baby?Maybe she needs more time to adjust?

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
As BS says, I really trhink you should seperate them, so not fair on the other dog. If it isn't standing up for itself it must be completely shut down.
I would get rid of the terrier, life (ours) is just too short, and you can't be a fun parent with no sleep.
I hope you can sort it out to your satisfaction.

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Thanks guys. She's always been stroppy and opinionated but she used to be out on the yard with me all day so it didn't matter she was 'busy' I think that although she is getting on she isn't getting what she needs although they get walked more than I would have thought an average pet would.

I've marched her miles today and guess what- better behaved dog.

I think il get a crate so she can be in the same room but not being a pest and see if she will accept that.

I would never advertise I was going to ask down the yard she would only go to someone I knew it's just sad to give up.

When she was at work all day with me she wasn't like this but she is very obsessive with balls or anything she gets her mind set on. It's really sad I would never have considered getting rid of her in the past but her not being safe around the baby too is double problems.

Does anyone think a crate might work? I will try and up the exercise too and see if that helps but this is the dog that can go 14 miles and still go again so I guess it's finding what I can manage with a 22lb baby on my back!

She's an expert ratter maybe she just misses having a job?

Bens_Mum

Visit site
She's snappy. Not at all bouncy she's very bidable won't jump up or anything like that she's very obedient but she very much has her own personal space. A friends child was messing around pretending to hit me and she thought she was going to hurt me and nipped. If my daughter mauled the other dog she would lick her to death even if she hurt her (not that I let her) but the terriers first reaction to anything cornering her is to attack. She's never hurt her but I've never let her get even close I don't trust her. She loves to play and is fine with older kids but you always have to be careful. She's short legged Norfolk cross so really quite small.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You're a better woman than me for persevering so long. I'd have re homed, or as a last resort PTS a dog that wasn't safe around young children once I had a baby. We did, in fact successfully re home a lovely collie/whippet cross, who couldn't cope with all the squawking that comes with a new born. The other dog, a JRT, was a trustworthy star from the start.

I'm not sure how easy your dog will be to re home, though, if she's pushy with other dogs too. Good luck.

Bens_Mum

Visit site
I guess I've had the dog so long so I feel obliged to take responsibility. She's fine with dogs off the lead unless something else starts she's just not good on the lead - guess that's my fault because she never used to need to be on it.

They are asleep next to me in the basket quite happy sadly I think it's my fault its just how realistic repeating today's amount of exercise daily is..

Il get a small crate for when they are alone to see if that helps.

The baby isn't her fault I suppose I feel bad. Can you tell the child is asleep peace makes anything more bareable somehow!

That terrier site is really good maybe it's fixable little sod!

SusieT

Visit site
A- I'd spay her . Better health wise never mind anything else
B- separate them at night. Separate them when they fight.
Should settle things down.
Could also get a basket muzzle to break the cycle of terrier biting but might not work long term

Dry Rot

Visit site
You need to rehome both the dogs, get some sleep, and look after your child.

I am amazed that anyone would say different. Surely, this is a no brainer? It is a matter of priorities. Do it and don't feel guilty about it. Your first duty is to your children and your second duty is to yourself as the mother of your children. This is one situation where you need to leave the worrying about the dogs to someone professionally skilled and qualified to do the best for them.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Why would she rehome the other dog?its an angel with the child ?Ive had dogs with my children all their lives growing up,and I agree the terrier will likely have to be rehomed,but the other dog?I don't understand why you would suggest this,dry rot.

Bradsmum

Visit site
BM, I too have a very needy terrier who loves people but since being bowled over by a bigger dog we used to meet, is no longer good with dogs sadly. This ha meant we now need to put him on a lead when around dogs. He is very attached to me which started to cause problems. He had accidents every night, got me up several times in the night and would follow me around the house all the time. We have taken him right back to basics. He is fed after we have eaten, he cannot go through a doorway before us and he cannot pester for fuss - basically he is now bottom of our household. The change in him is amazing. He is a happier dog who is no longer dirty at night. He still wakes me up at 4:00 in the morning but as I get up at 5 anyway, I can live with this. I'm even beginning to trust him around dogs now and had no adverse effects so far. It has taken a good 3-4 months to get here but soooo worth it if it means we get our lovely little character back. Good luck with your girl and if you need to re home her, remember that you are doing it for you both.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Why would she rehome the other dog?its an angel with the child ?Ive had dogs with my children all their lives growing up,and I agree the terrier will likely have to be rehomed,but the other dog?I don't understand why you would suggest this,dry rot.

That is the OP's choice and as she's had the sense to seek advice, I am sure she can make her own mind what dogs to get rid of, if any. Personally, I wouldn't want to bring up a baby with a dog in the house. It would be outside in the kennel. The OP sounds stressed and that is not good for the mother of a young child. Spaying won't make any difference and who is to say the bigger dog's hair loss is the terrier's fault and not something contagious? My German shepherd is an angel and much loved by the girls who help with the ponies -- but he is also trained in man work and can be highly aggressive. Are there not enough reports of dogs attacking small children for the message still not to have got through?

Read the first three paragraphs of the first post again. Does this mother really need anything more to worry about?

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't see why the other dog is an issue, yes the terrier would have been to the vets for it's final journey a long time ago if it was mine but the bigger dog is probably just stressed beyond belief.
Dogs are good therapy for young mothers, if they are the right dogs. I speak from experience!

Bellasophia

Visit site
Dry rot...you are a single man,never married ,never had a child...I am sure I speak for millions of mothers , that dogs do have a role IN the home living alongside their family. I also agree that the terrier will likely have to be rehomed...but not the other dog.
you have imported an Eastern European GSD as a guard for your property...a different kettle of fish to a companion dog brought up in the home( I'm referring to the op s other dog who she says is wonderful with her family).
Weve had a dogue de Bordeaux and later a Rottweiler from working lines,both trained to CDX level..I never allowed them to have free contact with visiting young children..but in my own family they were very respectful,loving members of the family and role models with my two boys.

twiggy2

Visit site
A friends child was messing around pretending to hit me and she thought she was going to hurt me and nipped. If my daughter mauled the other dog she would lick her to death even if she hurt her (not that I let her) but the terriers first reaction to anything cornering her is to attack.

a nip is NOT an attack!

What is a decent walk?

with everything going on in your life the dogs may well be at the bottom of your list of priorities (I wont challenge that), the terrier however from what you say nipped someone who in the dogs eyes was attacking you-the dog did not attack the child just did what terriers have had bred into them for many generations. I had terriers and other dogs when my children were babies and toddlers and they were confined to a large kitchen if the children were up and about-they would all be in the garden together if I was there and they would all come for walks together-nothing to do with the dogs type or temperament but I honestly dont think any dog should be exposed to the things babies and toddlers do-babies and toddlers do not understand the early warning signs from dogs and if pushed the majority of dogs will respond with their mouths as a resort (they have nothing else).
Terriers are generally feisty, again that has been bred into them and as you say your life has changed and the dogs has too and the biggest change for the dog sounds like a lack of exercise, only you can decide if you can provide the dog with the input it needs long term to get things back on track. It sounds like the terrier is taking its frustration out on the bigger dog and I would be more inclined to introduce a muzzle to the terrier (take time and make it as positive thing)-crating will just mean you are reducing the terriers ability to move and limiting exercise in the house too.

Bellasophia

Visit site
C
Alec

my dogs were not easy when my kids were young but they kept my sanity as they have always done

Now that's common sense...!
Also....Safety gates were invented not only to protect the child but also to protect the dog from getting into places unsupervised...a wonderful invention when you have children and dogs and can't be everywhere at once.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

Weve had a dogue de Bordeaux and later a Rottweiler from working lines,both trained to CDX level..I never allowed them to have free contact with visiting young children..but in my own family they were very respectful,loving members of the family and role models with my two boys.

And there is the salient point; Both your dogs were disciplined through the regime of CD training. Had you done nothing with them bar having them as house pets, then you may well have been in the very same boat as the OP. Nothing to do with right or wrong, just the prevailing situation.

I too brought up a young family and kept work terriers in the house. Had they simply been pets and had there been no control (a loose word I accept, with terriers! :)) then we too may well have been in the very same boat as the OP.

The OP has a small child, is attempting to run a business from home, and it seems that the darling terrorist currently has the upper hand. Considering how well behaved the dog is out of the home, then as opposed as I am to re-homing, generally, I'd suggest that for a one-dog-family, the candidate could easily be happier elsewhere.

As another thought, why is it that most on here advise others to take in a re-homed dog, but when someone says "I can't cope and I'm on the end of my bit of string", they're lambasted?! :) Not aimed at you Bella, just a general question! :)

Alec.

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Just to clarify the dogs are in the boot room when the todler is on the prowl. I wouldn't subject any animal to her enthusiasm all day! Even the horses see her coming and move back from the stable doors she is rather loud and boisterous.

The dogs get a good 45 minutes brisk walk a day and there's plenty of space outside to roam around. Today and yesterday I have taken them twice which although hard work has shut up the little sod clearly it needs more exercise.

The big dog is elderly and soft as muck. I live in the middle of nowhere and it's just me and child so they are nice company to have.

I think I will get the crate for at night so that the terrorist is not barking or plucking the other dog- yes it is her not a disease she does it infront of me!

I think today as I'm not so stressed out it doesn't seem so bad yesterday when I posted I was livid and knackered. I suspect some of the behavior may be hormonal as she does constantly try to dominate everyone and thing as someoen else mentioned reminding her her place is very important and never ending going through doorways etc. Would getting a 6 year old dog spayed effect behavior?

You are right it wasn't her being agressive that she nipped the other child but knowing she's very defensive of me makes me even more careful around children so I'm being cautious.

Il try more exercise and the crate she's on last chance saloon and see if it improves matters

Bellasophia

Visit site
Hi Alex...I am in complete agreement with the possible rehome of the terrorist,
Erm I mean terrier,if things don't work out .....my reaction was for the second dog ,who has done no wrong and should not even come into the equation here.

Thanks for your post Alex,I was beginning to think I'm losing my ability to communicate after 24 years in pasta land.

Just read the update...well done bens mom...take a breath...babies are exhausting...when the tot grows a bit this will get better as you can get the push chair out and walk the legs off the terrier..this worked for me when I also had two small dogs at home and one was a terrier..mine actually loved my baby son but did get bored easily so long beach walks were our solution.

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
Dry rot...you are a single man,never married ,never had a child...I am sure I speak for millions of mothers , that dogs do have a role IN the home living alongside their family. I also agree that the terrier will likely have to be rehomed...but not the other dog.
you have imported an Eastern European GSD as a guard for your property...a different kettle of fish to a companion dog brought up in the home( I'm referring to the op s other dog who she says is wonderful with her family).

As a matter of fact, my brother arrived unexpectedly when I was fourteen and my parents were busy starting up a new hotel, so I have a fair bit of experience in dealing with young children. And I will have you know I have probably changed as many nappies as many young mothers! I was also a school teacher for a few years. So, you don't know it all.

As for the dogs, I probably have more experience in this area than most will ever have as times have changed. Hunting a pack at 18? Up to 40 of my own dogs in my own kennel? Those days are over. Dog aggression is nothing like what the general public perceive it to be and I very much doubt you are the exception.

Incidentally, I have never imported a GSD. From anywhere. Ever. So your conclusions are flawed and based purely on guesswork. I wouldn't want to risk the health of any child on ignorance, let alone it's life.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Now then,don't get your knickers in a twist...I have no wish to compete with you re dog experience,you've definitely got that one in the bag...nor do I claim to know everything.Up to now you've always come across as a delightful,informed poster.I still haven't had my question answered as to why you think BOTH dogs should be rehomed.
You did say in another post that your pup was east European lines..and yes I assumed you had imported him,it matters not,he is still from working lines.I think you are nit picking to win an argument which for me doesn't exist.Ive no argument here,I'm just trying to be helpful to the OP.
I also was a school teacher for many years....it's a small world.
Over here it is normal to import a dog to get the best lines...I've had two dogs from Germany,one from uk and my last from Sweden..all because they do rigorous health testing and have a strong work ethic.
And finally..I'm sure everyone would put a child first and foremost..I found your last comment offensive.

SusieT

Visit site
Having 40 of your own dogs in your kennel suggests you would be unable to provide appropriate care, training and socialisation for them all unless you had a bevy of kennel hands... cleaning, feeding and watering does not included full care so you may not be aware of how to train a dog to live in a house with family like the rest of us.

Alec Swan

Visit site
There are plenty of professionally run working gun dog and sheepdog kennels in this country which have in excess of 40 dogs and which are run and managed very well by just a husband and wife team. Somehow they manage without going to puppy classes, and they turn out well mannered, trained and sociable dogs too. No, I don't know how they manage it either, but they do! :)

Alec.

twiggy2

Visit site
There are plenty of professionally run working gun dog and sheepdog kennels in this country which have in excess of 40 dogs and which are run and managed very well by just a husband and wife team. Somehow they manage without going to puppy classes, and they turn out well mannered, trained and sociable dogs too. No, I don't know how they manage it either, but they do! :)

Alec.

Having come across many dogs from such kennels I don't agree, the dogs come out with basic training but lack social skills and are often not bold and confident dogs having lacked early exposure.