Nightmare terrier strikes again!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Having come across many dogs from such kennels I don't agree, the dogs come out with basic training but lack social skills and are often not bold and confident dogs having lacked early exposure.

In truth, I've come across FAR more dogs which have been domiciled and are unmanageable, often disturbed and occasionally dangerous and which came from a non-kenneled background. Clearly, our experiences are different.

Alec.

twiggy2

Visit site
In truth, I've come across FAR more dogs which have been domiciled and are unmanageable, often disturbed and occasionally dangerous and which came from a non-kenneled background. Clearly, our experiences are different.

Alec.

I have no problem with kennels Alec (I have one) but kennels that hold 40 odd dogs do not produce good dogs with a well rounded confident personality i my experience, in fact many dogs would benefit from kennel time if given enough mental and physical stimulation

Starzaan

Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread. But one thing that sticks out is only 45 mins exercise.

This is my feeling too. 45 mins exercise is just not enough for a terrier. Even my lazy Great Dane needed more than that or he would be ridiculously naughty.

Terriers are working dogs. An hour morning and afternoon would be the absolute minimum for me.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I think that many dogs would start to misbehave with just one walk a day. Is there any way you could increase the exercise? If not I think you will probably have to rehome your terrier. They do need a lot of mental stimulation and can be absolute pests when bored as you have discovered.

bex1984

Visit site
Oh OP I do sympathise. I have two jrts, a 3 year old and I work from home too.

I posted recently about exercising my terriers and got some useful advice so maybe have a look at that thread? Conclusion was generally that on lead walks do no good - they need to run and play. Have upped that sort of exercise for mine and it has helped.

I've also just changed my terriers' food to something with lower protein levels and they are a bit less mad.

It sounds a bit like yours needs more brain stimulation? Have you got a friend who could take her out for a good game of ball a few times a week maybe?

I'd also try crate training, and get her spayed. If you decide she can't stay (and I'm not judging - I had to rehome my 2 cats because they were not compatible with a baby) it would at least be easier to find the right home if she's spayed.

But sleep deprivation is never a good place to make a big decision so give it some time (and keep everyone safe in the meantime).

To those of you who think you understand what it's like to have a small child, with the best will in the world unless you've experienced the sleep deprivation, the exhaustion, the anxiety, the joy, and the utter seismic shift in your life - you just can't understand.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think one 45 minute walk a day should be ample. dogs get used to what they get, the dog is not crated or kennelled for the remaining hours of the day. My mum only walks her collie for maybe half an hour a day but as the dog is always pottering around with her she is fine. Our labs, who get a silly number of walks a day would go mad but it does depend how fit they are.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Clodagh, you raise an interesting point, and regarding your Mum's collie. When I had two working collies living in the house (and in those halcyon days when I lived alone), there were times when for perhaps a week, they went nowhere and did nothing, or did they? They were in the house and out, in the car and out and they were my constant companions. I went to the pub and they'd sit and wait in the back of the pick-up, or when I was splitting wood for the fire they were with me, and when we actually went to do some work, nothing had changed. The pack is not always totally reliant upon exercise.

Alec.

Orca

Visit site
OP, I introduced a terriorist into my home (also the home of my established rescue Shar Pei). I also have a lot of children! I see some of the behaviours you describe in my own terrier but with her, when she gets hyped up I've always redirected her energy towards a toy. We had working terriers when I was younger and their happiness when working intently inspired me to replicate it for my pet!

Now, say if the children start a scuffle, for example or if my Shar Pei wanders in and terrier gets hyped up (and is told to leave Pei alone), terrier will go and pick up a toy of her own accord and expel some of that energy on it. Typical terrier ragging, throwing it for herself, etc.

Because that energy is and always has been directed to a safe outlet, she has never, ever snapped at anyone or terrorised my other dog. She's a diamond! Terrors will always have energy and often of a nervous kind (as in always switched on rather than nervous per se) and I believe that so long as they have a positive outlet for that, they are amazing little creatures to have around ��.

Clodagh

Visit site
Clodagh, you raise an interesting point, and regarding your Mum's collie. When I had two working collies living in the house (and in those halcyon days when I lived alone), there were times when for perhaps a week, they went nowhere and did nothing, or did they? They were in the house and out, in the car and out and they were my constant companions. I went to the pub and they'd sit and wait in the back of the pick-up, or when I was splitting wood for the fire they were with me, and when we actually went to do some work, nothing had changed. The pack is not always totally reliant upon exercise.

Alec.

Our dogs get maybe 4 structured walks a day but are with one us pretty well all the time, as you say, mending a fence or chopping logs the dog is just there. They are awake and thinking which is totally different to being shut in a kennel or home alone.

I have got photos somewhere of a working patterdale, called 'Gripper' who was so scarred and beaten up through a life of working foxes, sitting in a wendy house drinking tea out of a plastic cup and saucer with my step son when he was about 3 and an assortment of teddy bears.I think, and this is nothing to do with OP at all, he was a terrier who worked like a terrier should and therefore had nothing to prove in normal life.
Mind you, his full brother (different upbringing) would not have been allowed in the house under any circumstances!.