Non-horsey terms!

Footlights

Visit site
So my OH calls brushing boots 'Shin Guards' which always seems to make me laugh!

Just wondering what other non-horsey terms people have heard of that have made you chuckle? :D

dafthoss

Visit site
Mum calls any clipped horse shaved :D and rugs blankets. I'm sure theres many more as shes not horsey and she tends to get her words muddled at the best of times :D.

Bendyhorse

Visit site
My wonderful mum is non horsey but genuinely wants to know how we are doing with competing. She always makes sure I have washed my "white numpty" :D

PandorasJar

Visit site
Not so much a horsey term. But my dads response to finding out I'd bought a horse and showing him the photos... "um it's very very big" Yes dad, a horse stood on two legs will generally look "very big", try the next photo of it looking smaller ;)

Pan

Amy567

Visit site
rugs tend to be 'coats' with my friends.... and once my jodhpurs were called 'leggings', had to correct them :p oh and I can't be a very good rider if my horse knocks down a fence :p

Farma

Visit site
A guy at my works always asks if I'm going to the yard to '**** out' the horse meaning muck out:D

The blanked out word began with sh and ended in it.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I've also heard shaved for clipped. Coats for rugs, water bowl/ dinner bowl for buckets, & collar & lead for headcollar & leadrope. Also belt for girth.Constantly irritated by someone who insists on calling them reins & seat instead of saddle & bridle.

Amy567

Visit site
No one understands why I "still" have lessons....

Oh and "I didn't know you could hack into a horse"... No I mean riding on the roads when I mean 'hack' not 'hacking into it'

Another one for hack was "That's not very nice, hacking a horse, surely that's animal cruelty" They obviously thought I meant cutting my beloved pony up :p

BorgRae

Visit site

THIS!!!!!

My non horsey friends and colleagues always say "I don't get it, why would you need lessons if you own it?!"...

:rolleyes:

Another one that get's me is... "Ridning isn't that hard, you only have to sit there!" ....

Yeah!!! :eek:

Elbie

Visit site
THIS!!!!!

My non horsey friends and colleagues always say "I don't get it, why would you need lessons if you own it?!"...

:rolleyes:

Another one that get's me is... "Ridning isn't that hard, you only have to sit there!" ....

Yeah!!! :eek:

Yes!

At work, my colleagues couldn't understand why I didn't take my friends youngster to a show. 5 years old, never been off the yard, had only jumped small cross poles and straights at home. The show in question had starting jumps at 3ft! They were like "well surely its leg is taller than 3 ft, it can step over it?".

Umm... no, that is not how jumping works

Jesstickle

Visit site

Yep, I get that one too. Only from non sporting people though. People who play sports understand the need for constant coaching so it's easy to explain to them.

I get coats instead of rugs a lot too. Even thought I always say rug quite pointedly it doesn't change what other people say!

luckyjac

Visit site
my oh calls the saddle the seat, but i hate it when non horsey people get the uses for hay and straw mixed up, easily done i suppose but 'oh shes enjoying eating that straw' or 'so do you have to muck out all the hay' really gets me.

Moomin1

Visit site
My dad used to call rugs 'coats' which used to really annoy me when I was a kid! I have heard the 'blanket' instead of rugs, people calling the bridle the 'bit', and the girth a 'belt' too.

My only major bugbear though is when people call horses 'ponies'. Don't know why - it just really grinds on me! :eek:

stephaniekate

Visit site
my non horsey friends make me laugh....thats all you can do...(laugh at them)....or laugh with them.
ithey just dont understand, but i cant understand my friend who is a gymnast!!!....we just have a laugh at each others passion....:eek: