Non loading horse, who pays?

Leandy

Visit site
The buyer. They have the contract with the transporter. It is not the seller's "fault" that the horse would not load such that they should reimburse the buyer. I'm very surprised though that an experienced transport company entirely failed to load a 2 year old which was happily loading in a trailer. I'd also query the experience of the transporter and/or the suitability of the transport but that discussion is between the buyer and the transporter.

onemoretime

Visit site
Jeezo after 10mins I would have turned a broom upside down and poked the spikes up it's backside under the tail! No horse wants a hedgehog up it's bum! Failing that, with a low ramp of a 2 stall or trailer I would have wrapped a jumper round it's head to blindfold it, spin it in a couple of circles then stotter it up the ramp! Not violent but not wasting time either. Sounds like the youngster was taking the absolute mikey out of everyone!

You sound like old school EOS. That's what they used to do years ago and it worked.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
EKW, I think that HHOers who have followed the recent Freaky Accident thread will pass on the broom up the backside form of encouragement :oops:.

I just wouldn't stand behind the broom, then the *realistically* worst that would happen is the broom shoots backwards out of your hands.

We used to recruit 2 x burly men from whatever show we attended to link arms behind our old Dales pony to load her, they would basically lift her into the trailer. She wasn't worried, she was a mare.. and a clever one at that! It was comical to look at - we knew she had never kicked in her life though

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'm no expert but I think 6 hours is longer than the true professionals are allowed to drive in one go - so any proper professional would have had to split the journey anyway.

There are lots of advertised ' professional transporters ' who are not that professional at all sadly - like so much in the horse world they prey on the unknowledgeable.

They buyer instructed the haulier and purchased the horse from site so its the buyer.

Visit site
I just wouldn't stand behind the broom, then the *realistically* worst that would happen is the broom shoots backwards out of your hands.

We used to recruit 2 x burly men from whatever show we attended to link arms behind our old Dales pony to load her, they would basically lift her into the trailer. She wasn't worried, she was a mare.. and a clever one at that! It was comical to look at - we knew she had never kicked in her life though

One of my Shetland mares (chestnut to boot) used to walk halfway in then refuse to budge. Front feet in the trailer, back feet on the ramp. It was no issue we used to just pick the ramp up and tip her in ? At one show we were parked next to some donkeys and one of the did the same trick as her, they watched what we did then tried it for themselves and it worked. So long as they are far enough up the ramp it's not heavy to launch a pony in ???

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
One of my Shetland mares (chestnut to boot) used to walk halfway in then refuse to budge. Front feet in the trailer, back feet on the ramp. It was no issue we used to just pick the ramp up and tip her in ? At one show we were parked next to some donkeys and one of the did the same trick as her, they watched what we did then tried it for themselves and it worked. So long as they are far enough up the ramp it's not heavy to launch a pony in ???

This is hilarious! I'll stick that in the arsenal should it ever be needed in future ?

paddy555

Visit site
am I right in thinking from the original post that the OP is the seller and the buyer is trying to claim transport fees?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
am I right in thinking from the original post that the OP is the seller and the buyer is trying to claim transport fees?
Difficult to say, but the unanimous advice remains - it's the buyer to pick up the haulier's bill as long as the horse was indeed sold and paid for before trying to travel him.

I've had a youngster delivered to me by the seller before, with cash balance paid on delivery.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How can a vet sedate to no avail? Whenever I’ve had a horse sedated to travel, they’ve not been in a position to argue with it. For mild sedation I’d do it myself.

I've seen a vet intravenously sedate his own horse and it still refuse to load. They left it there overnight and it went on the next day.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

I would not be strong enough to do this, but in Mr Red's younger days, when he knew a lot about Rugby and nothing whatsoever about horses, I was struggling to load a 15.2hh horse. He was puzzled as to what I was faffing around at and, before I could stop him, he did this very thing. I was expecting him to be squashed or something, but no, the horse was neatly launched into the trailer.

OP, it is the buyer's responsibility. The buyer presumably bought the horse before loading commenced, ergo it is their horse.

When I bought my cob, Rigsby, he famously didn't load. The one trip they did with him, they failed to entice him into a trailer over 2 days, and one of the people trying was not faint hearted. I paid a deposit but didn't have to pay the remainder, and could have had the deposit returned, if I had failed to get him in the trailer. It took a few hours, but I did used to be a person who trained reluctant horses to load, so a lot of it was working him on the ground, not near the transport. In that case, with a pre arranged thing about loading, I would not have had to buy him. The cost of the transport would still have been mine though, fortunately it was my transport. If he had damaged the transport, that would have been my deal too.

I agree with others that the buyer was unwise to bring a 3.5 tonne to a 2yo who had been trained to go into a trailer.

Visit site
Red - she only had her back feet on the ramp, the fronts were in the trailer so it was only her bum out. The ramp gives you plenty of leverage. Not sure I would try it on anything much bigger than a shetland though ?

foraday

Visit site
The buyer is responsible as you hired the 'transporter' and I use those terms in the loosest way!

A youngster that has not travelled extensively should be put in a foal box 3m sq and transported like that not in a tinpot!

Just because the breeder got the youngster used to walking in and out a trailer that is totally different to what has turned up

Not sure why the vet did not sedate correctly either as normally once sedated they are in no position to argue and person at each leg and walked on

Very bizarre all the way but then we use a proper HGV transporter with proper kit and wagon - sent them to pick up foals and all sorts and never ever had an issue

SOS

Visit site
EKW, I think that HHOers who have followed the recent Freaky Accident thread will pass on the broom up the backside form of encouragement :oops:.

Lol personal experience says DO NOT use a broom to shove a horse. Very very small chance it could impale you… I was lucky, the next person might not of been. I was standing side on to the horse… as you would to sweep etc. Also I had a bad loader, and a broom is not the answer. You can win a horses mind but you can never win against one physically. That horse would just flip over if put under too much pressure. Also not safe for anyone involved.

In terms of the OP - buyer 100% pays.