Non slip Reins.. what do you use?

Carlosmum

Visit site
After pony tanked off along the road today, I have decided I need to change the reins I am using. Currently using a 'rubberised' webbing rein, not too wide as I have small hands, but no stops so it seems quite easy for pony to pull them through my hands when he is having a paddy. I like 'normal' rubber covered reins but these can be a bit stiff when new and I have considered 'plaited' but haven't tried them. So my question is what do you use and what would you recommend? I need better brakes!

Dusty85

Visit site
I use leather with rubber on the inside for most things; dressage, hacking etc. proper rubber lined ones for XC.

I don't like the really flexible bendy rubber ones, I feel like there's not much to 'hold' if that makes sense.

I do like the idea of continental ones as I'm terrible for letting the reins slip a little through my hands in dressage (I don't like to hold them too firmly) and continental ones you know where to hold as you have markers. They don't look very smart though (IMO!)

Puzzley

Visit site
I use nylon plaited reins and they are very grippy. Always found rubber ones would kind of stick to the mane and get tangled.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
After pony tanked off along the road today, I have decided I need to change the reins I am using. Currently using a 'rubberised' webbing rein, not too wide as I have small hands, but no stops so it seems quite easy for pony to pull them through my hands when he is having a paddy. I like 'normal' rubber covered reins but these can be a bit stiff when new and I have considered 'plaited' but haven't tried them. So my question is what do you use and what would you recommend? I need better brakes!

personally I hate rubber reins, I like continental reins

Orangehorse

Visit site
I use continental reins. I find the rubber reins too thick and uncomfortable. I know you can get posh dressage reins which are narrow with rubber on the inside, but never found the need. Just use ordinary plain leather for showing.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Continental reins . . . having a horse who is very crafty and "sneaks" an extra bit of rein when he can if you aren't paying attention, continental reins really help.

P

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Stroud saddlery own brand bio grips (marginally cheaper than the jeffries ones!) or leather continental reins here :)

Tern

Visit site
Continental Reins, ugly but do the job (use them on pelham xc)

Jefferies Bio-Grip.. nah, shires do their own exact same version and a fraction of the price. :D

Kat

Visit site
Having done lots of my riding in riding schools and colleges I have ridden with lits of different reins.

I hate continental reins, the webbing part is too thin and slippy and it really hurts uf a horse snatches them through your hands.

I have some lovely bio grip reins from evison equine that I love. I have bog standard rubber reins for hacking and plain leather for showing but would like some laced reins (not plaited)

tase1965

Visit site
Dever Arab Race Reins, tiny dot pimples and the rubber is not too thick and bulky - not bright orange like usual race reins either..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Having done lots of my riding in riding schools and colleges I have ridden with lits of different reins.

I hate continental reins, the webbing part is too thin and slippy and it really hurts uf a horse snatches them through your hands.

I've ridden a fair bit too :wink3: and if you get good quality continental reins the webbing isn't compromised at all :)
It will also differ in depth & thickness depending on the width of the reins.

Shooting Star

Visit site
Another for continental but also like laced ones ... Think I've probably got a pair (or more!) of most types with the exception of plaited now but still find myself going back to the continentals.

Echo what TFF says though that quality is important, my favourite ones are Sabre but I have in the past had some lovely ones made by a local saddler.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Cheers S/Star - I think I've also got a pair in every type & in black & brown :redface3:
Currently using laced this week as CF in the french link, but usually in the long brown 1" continentals on the Waterford.
Also continental & laced on the gag, but a combi of plain & plaited on the show bridle :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
TFF you are just a rein tart :p

I bought a pair of continentals recently but they were awful, very slippy and uncomfortable. Must have been cheap ones :wink3: (I bought them 2nd hand). I normally ride in half-rubber reins. I find full rubber less slippy but more bulky.

Ellen Durow

Visit site
First of all - SCHOOLING, SCHOOLING, SCHOOLING!!! And don't take him on the road until he's learned to behave.

I have small hands, too, and latterly I used to use dressage reins when I was still riding. They have a rubberised surface on one side for grip but aren't bulky and very comfortable to ride with.

I've also used laced reins which I also found good for grip

Plaited are OK as far as grip goes but are inclined to stretch.

The covered rubber reins are a PITA. They are too bulky for small hands and I found that I didn't have the feel of the horse's mouth with them

You can get webbing reins with stops at regular intervals along the length but I got painful blisters on my fingers with them even when riding in gloves.

Just as an aside, do you "sponge" (squeeze gently) your reins as you are riding? It doesn't put pressure on the mouth but reminds the horse/pony that you are there and paying attention. It can be just enough to distract them from plotting evil!

Carlosmum

Visit site
First of all - SCHOOLING, SCHOOLING, SCHOOLING!!! And don't take him on the road until he's learned to behave.

I appreciate this comment and I do when I can but currently limited/no facilities. This was pony's first unaccompanied ride out and we were on the last few 100 yards to home, when he exploded & took off. I had tried to keep my body relaxed as he was already tense but I think I must have relaxed too much! He has a tendency to be very nappy, but of late has been riding out with his stablemate quite happily. Unfortunately riding a circular route is impossible without walking a mile down the main road, and cant be done in under an hour. We ( me & friend who rides other horse) are trying to organise ourselves to box out somewhere to ride a circle but it seems easier said than done.

He is the most awkward pony I have ever come across, thinks backwards, & has the most almighty buck, but I am determined to sort him out, shopping for continental reins tomorrow if I can find some.