Nosebands and forcing your horses mouth shut....thoughts??

Twiglet

Visit site
This is interesting. I had my horses wolf teeth removed this year, they were flush against his teeth and didn't obviously cause any problems, no rearing etc, horse is 14. Two EDTs recommended they be removed even though the vet wasn't convinced it would make any difference to his way of going. But then one EDT said if he avoided a certain pressure in his mouth, it would affect his poll, neck, and everything behind that. Now, I'm not a good enough rider to notice I don't think, plus I don't have regular lessons or do any schooling (time poor and horse has had lots of lameness so I'm loathe to do lots of circles, at least til he's sound for a whole year!). But thinking about it, when I ask for some shoulder in and leg yield out hacking, he does seem to actually yield, as opposed to tensing and throwing his head up, which may be due to him being more comfortable in his mouth. Hadn't even though about it! :eek:

I wouldn't have considered it either, but the implications are huge. The poll itself is such a centre for tension and discomfort, and any disruption in the mouth translates directly there. I have to admit to being a bit lax with 6 monthly EDT appointments prior to Buzz's issues but there are certain elements of his training and schooling that now make sense and pointed to a jaw developing issues.

This is a very interesting article, and well worth a read - it was a lightbulb moment for me: http://www.naturalhorse.com/archive/volume3/Issue4/article_4.php
Am currently treating him with weekly chiro, biweekly Bowen and craniosacral treatments.

smurfywurf

Visit site
Our 12hh section A has a flash but it's not on tight, he produces plenty of dribble and slobber when he works, even hacking so I know his jaw is relaxed and he's working happily and correctly :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I've never got the slobber and dribble argument either, surely you can tell a relaxed and happy horse by more than whats coming out of their mouth?

smurfywurf

Visit site
Lots of slobber and dribble is no longer believed to be the sign of a relaxed horse but of one unable to swallow.

Oh he can definitely swallow fine.... Typical pony sneaks mouthfuls of grass if he thinks he can :)
He's definitely relaxed as well, he's lovely and supple through his neck, back and tail and bends beautifully, he's excelling at dressage at the moment. My dressage instructor always envys his suppleness and his helicopter tail as she calls it.
I don't think a correctly fitted noseband should interfere with the horses way of going, I see so many wrongly fitted though to the point I want to go and take the horse off the owner, it's so sad when people clamp mouths shut and weigh them down with bits and martingales to try and solve a problem quickly rather than going back to basics and finding out the cause of a problem

smurfywurf

Visit site
Having said that I rarely tend to ride him with the flash, I only put it on him when the girls (age 4 and 11 and novice) are on him as he takes full advantage of them both being newbies and will open his mouth and walk off with them (nothing more) he's had his teeth and back checked and the dentist and vet have both said there's nothing wring, he's simply being the cheeky pony that he's supposed to be :)

mrswad

Visit site
I and my horse like a plain cavesson loose enough to just get your hand under it. There is so much rubbish about padded pressure relief bridles and really all you have to do is check the browband isn't pulling the headpiece into the base of the ears and adjust the bit so it doesn't look like you're using it to extend the horses mouth upwards. I've seen horses with permanent grooves in their nasal bones as their jaws have been strapped together so tightly. It's abuse.

Equi

Visit site
Mines on the loosest hole and is there purely for decoration (my mares head looks FAR too large and long if she hasn't got one)

If a horse need sit mouth taped shut it is not happy in the bit it has.