Nosebands

scats

Visit site
The purpose of a crank is to strap the mouth closed, tightly. I've seen too many that have been badly used.

Only if you choose to use it that way. I have a crank noseband on one of my bridles and I have it very loose. It just happens that I liked the bridle and that was the noseband it came with.

McFluff

Visit site
What I struggle with is why I HAVE to use a noseband to compete in dressage. I’d happily compete without, and my horse would still accept the contact nicely. I’m not against nosebands (current horse doesn’t mind, but previous one didn’t like them), but have never understood why someone can compete while strapping a horse’s mouth shut, but another can’t go without a noseband. Seems unfair.

A few years ago I had an argument at a clinic when I was told that my noseband was too loose. I had it so you could fit two fingers in, as I remember being shown when I was a teenager. Was told that it (a plain cavesson) should be snug. Horse made her view known so I loosened it again. But if experienced and well qualified trainers are tightening nosebands what hope of knowing what is right do amateurs like me have?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
What I struggle with is why I HAVE to use a noseband to compete in dressage. I’d happily compete without, and my horse would still accept the contact nicely. I’m not against nosebands (current horse doesn’t mind, but previous one didn’t like them), but have never understood why someone can compete while strapping a horse’s mouth shut, but another can’t go without a noseband. Seems unfair.

A few years ago I had an argument at a clinic when I was told that my noseband was too loose. I had it so you could fit two fingers in, as I remember being shown when I was a teenager. Was told that it (a plain cavesson) should be snug. Horse made her view known so I loosened it again. But if experienced and well qualified trainers are tightening nosebands what hope of knowing what is right do amateurs like me have?
Because those are the rules, just as you have to use a conventional saddle (i.e. not a western or non-English style one). And you don’t have to strap your horse’s mouth shut, you can, as you know, keep the nose band loose.

j1ffy

Visit site

Possibly controversial...but could the focus on UKCC rather than BHS exams be contributing to this? My trainer is BHSI and we were discussing the differences recently - UKCC is focused on an individual's coaching ability rather than horse care, whereas BHS exams include thorough knowledge of all aspects including tack, feed, etc etc.

Having said that, my trainer does usually prefer a noseband to be tighter than I do ;)

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think the crank point is that IF (big if) you want to get it very tight then the physics / leaver action of the crank allow you (someone) to get it much tighter than a normal noseband would go.

You don't have to do them tight but they are / were marketed to help you get them as tight as possible - which is where the association comes from I suspect.

McFluff

Visit site
Because those are the rules, just as you have to use a conventional saddle (i.e. not a western or non-English style one). And you don’t have to strap your horse’s mouth shut, you can, as you know, keep the nose band loose.

I do get that thems the rules. I just can’t fathom out why. If noseband tightness was policed, then maybe. Perhaps I’m just soft, but I think horse sport should review rules regularly with horse welfare/comfort in mind. With better understanding of conformation and comfort in a horses mouth, rules should be smarter. But then, I suppose, where do you stop. Saddle fit can’t be checked easily, and many horses put up with badly fitting saddles.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The crank noseband issue annoys me - you can do any noseband up too tight & strap their mouth shut if you choose to - just don't?

The way it fastens doesn't affect how tightly you choose to fasten it...
I think the crank point is that IF (big if) you want to get it very tight then the physics / leaver action of the crank allow you (someone) to get it much tighter than a normal noseband would go.

You don't have to do them tight but they are / were marketed to help you get them as tight as possible - which is where the association comes from I suspect.

The padding, even when loose, has been shown to be an issue, as it sits right where the teeth are. And of course if it's a flash then the noseband must be tight to not end up like a (rubbish!) grackle. And I agree that I can't see any reason why the crank mechanism should be allowed, the pressure that can (and is so often) be placed on a horse's face is harmful.

What's the reason for the Must have a noseband for dressage rule, does anyone know?

Tradition, there's no other reason that holds up IMO.