Not all Pellets are the same! Wet comparison (pics)

nat_1

Visit site
I'm waiting for a pallet of verdo to be delivered atm,please could you pm me the brands you used please.I've also had 3x10kg sample bags of lwp.havnt tried those yet but have seen the verdo down.

nat_1

Visit site
Milkmaid>> I was really impressed,I thought it would just be a small margerine tub size sqmple to tip a cup of water on but they sent 3x10kg bags the very next day!! Gona add it to my start up bed when my verdo pallet comes

jrp204

Visit site
I'm really interested in pellets but need to know, if anyone can answer.
Our girl is on box rest, long term, she has rubber matting on 2/3rds of her stable then has a small miscanthus bed put down at night. Can you work it like this with pellets or do you leave the whole bed down all the time?

Keimanp

Visit site
I am interested in the two brands as well seem as though I have just bought another horse and they are to be stabled. I really need to start considering bedding options

Could you pm me as well?

Thanks

_GG_

Visit site
Mine is now on verdo as the price is so good, but I have had her on the best you can buy and the basic pellets I could get from a local feed merchant.

All have been excellent. The only major difference I have found with the more expensive pellets is that the colour of the bed is lighter.

The way it works for me is that I put 10 15kg bags down (leaving a channel in a 14x14ft stable). I soak them with half of the recommended amount of water, about a litre each bag I suppose. I let them swell, tip them out, level and make banks. For the nest 7 days, all I do is poo pick. My mare is a bed trasher, so stamps her poo all through the bed and all you need to do with pellets is skim the top of the bed, sift out the poo with a shavings fork = no waste of bedding and level it off again.

After 7 days, I take up the bed and remove the wet, which, on all types of pellets has been compacted slabs of wet bedding, easy to remove and 7 days of a very wet and messy mare and I remove about 2 square feet of bedding that maybe just half fills a wheelbarrow.

After that, I add skip out twice a day and take out the wet on a Sunday and Thursday as it suits me to do it like this. On the Thursday, I put in half a bag of pellets, leaving them whole and mixing in with the bed. On a Sunday I put a whole bag in. Every few weeks, I find I need to add a lot less as the bed continues to grow as the new pellets expand.

My mare is actually getting tidier on this bed as she loves to lie down on it. It is very fluffy, dry and comfortable and I am saving an absolute fortune.

Best thing though is that her stable always smells really nice and her feet are in great shape as after a day in the mud, the bedding drys them up nicely and the farrier has said they look better than ever!

If you are pondering, stop pondering and jump right in. They are fantastic.

If you find the bed is too wet, stop adding water, just add more whole pellets to take up the excess moisture. In the summer, all it needs is a little sprinkle from time to time to keep it from getting too dry :)

Milkmaid

Visit site
I'm really interested in pellets but need to know, if anyone can answer.
Our girl is on box rest, long term, she has rubber matting on 2/3rds of her stable then has a small miscanthus bed put down at night. Can you work it like this with pellets or do you leave the whole bed down all the time?

You could work it like that but I don`t know it would be cost effective? I would have the other 1/3 rd of the stable bedded with 4-5 inches of pellets all the time, taking the wet out when it comes to the surface.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
For such a horsey area, I'm appalled at the lack of local suppliers! One big equine shop has the D&H pellets, mega expensive at £6.50 each, another has never heard of wood pellets, another oly stocks Aquamax. I'm on the hunt big time tomorrow having started a big bed with the D&H pellets. They're exactly as I hoped, but I can get cheap shavings for less, so not the price I was budgeting for.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Day one on the D&H pellets (bank of old shavings at back), possibly not enough water?
IMAG0790.jpg

Full muck out:
IMAG0792.jpg

Day two: the pellets have expanded:
IMAG0797.jpg

Why does anyone use anything else?! So easy to muck out, I can get every scrap of poo out! It just sifts out and best of all, no smell at all! I just need to sort a supplier cos I drove miles today to get more to store.

Last edited:

margy

New User
Visit site
Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but can Milkmaid or someone that knows pm me the names of the 2 pellet brands tested, many thanks :)

tillsmum

Visit site
And me please both types. I am having an easibed nightmare and am going to have to chuck £240 worth of bedding so need somethigcheap and good for 3 wet messy horses. Thanks

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Days three and four, no pics cos I feel sad doing them! The bed has fluffed right up, not all pellets have fully broken down. Shed loads of bed! Deeply impressed that I can just sieve out the poo and not have to remove loads of bedding. Very economical. Loving it!

Milkmaid

Visit site
It's five star bedding!

The 'premium' bed is indeed from Five Star Bedding and the 'other' bed is Verdo pellets (which Five Star sell as their economy pellet)
Several of you had already recognised & guessed that!

I wanted this thread to show that there are various 'qualities' of pellets, they are definately not all the same!

I am very surprised at just how much more absorbant the FS premium pellets are!

ILikeThemHairy

Visit site
Days three and four, no pics cos I feel sad doing them! The bed has fluffed right up, not all pellets have fully broken down. Shed loads of bed! Deeply impressed that I can just sieve out the poo and not have to remove loads of bedding. Very economical. Loving it!

Please post the pics, I love them - very useful!!

And could someone please PM me the two brands as well please :) xx