Not all Pellets are the same! Wet comparison (pics)

sisco

Visit site
Spyda we used verdo for our other two, who are not as wet and they worked fine for them, one bag a week , just found they took too long to break down for the really wet boy so don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine with them.

Last edited:

LittleGinger

Visit site
I love my boy's wood pellet bed - I used to hate straw, however nice and cosy a clean bed looked a dirty one was horrendous to muck out! Definitely a wood pellet convert :)
Milkmaid, please could you PM me the brand names? Your second pictures look very much like what I'm currently using, and the premium one looks really nice.
Thanks.

LittleGinger

Visit site
Just googled Green Gloop as well as never heard of that! Is there a good site to buy this from online?
I've only looked at a few sites but those were either out of stock or don't deliver. If someone could save me trawling through lots of websites by recommending where they get theirs from I'd be very grateful :D

Milkmaid

Visit site
Just googled Green Gloop as well as never heard of that! Is there a good site to buy this from online?
I've only looked at a few sites but those were either out of stock or don't deliver. If someone could save me trawling through lots of websites by recommending where they get theirs from I'd be very grateful :D

I usually pick mine up from Robinsons. Seems they are out of stock online but may have some in store?
I have ordered it in to a local company who stock Fieldguard before but they had to do a minimum order (which was o.k as was buying wall mats at the same time!)

They only other company I can find is http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/equine-..._medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

Milkmaid

Visit site
Sorry for the delay in responding to the last couple of p.m requests, I have only just seen them! threads on H&H moving soooooo fast!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have used both LWP premium and their cheaper version and the premium is worth the extra as far more absorbant. However, I wish I could get away with as little wet out as you do. Stinky is normally 1 - 2 barrows of wet which is done at the weekend, and skipped out rest of the time. Farra needs to have wet out 3 times a week with a huge barrow out each time.

That said, mine are in 24 x 7 for 3 days a week and out 10 - 3 the other days. Plus Farra being a Clydesdale produces a huge amount of pee and poo as she is on ad lib hay - 1/2 - 3/4 bale a day and drinks 50 litres of water.

I love wood pellets. I buy 1000k at a time and that last my two for 4 months. They fit on one pallet and take up very little room. Stinky has 1 - 2 bags a week and Farra 3 - 4, I get the 15k bags.

I also use them for my cats, they like them wetted so they crumble down are soft for their old paws - I have 6 OAPs that don't go out so get through a lot.

This is my third year on pellets and I have found them the best for a very wet and dirty heavy horse. I have thick rubber mats and put down a 3 - 4" bed over half the stable. I save a good £200 a year compared to shavings, mucking out is far quicker as poo stays on top of the bed and good on the muck heap as they rot down very quickly.

Milkmaid

Visit site
I also use them for my cats, they like them wetted so they crumble down are soft for their old paws - I have 6 OAPs that don't go out so get through a lot.

I use mine for the cat & the chickens too (un-wetted tho). Really handy only having to buy one product for multiple uses!!

Lucyad

Visit site
Good idea about the chickens! And un-wetted it should dry the poo out to it can easily be lifted from the bedding, I should imagine.

Liath

Visit site
Can you PM me too please? Currently using Aquamax and do love it... but it's pricey! Be interested to know which premium you are using and which 'less premium'!! Thanks!

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
This is completely irrelevant to the wood pellets, but can I just congratulate you for such a smart yet basic idea of rubber mats outside stables when there is snow. I feel like a penny has just dropped in my head!

Tilda

Visit site
Please can I have a PM too. My friend and I are looking for an alternative to flax as our supplier put costs up. She has been doing some experiments with little samples of bedding and for me old fashioned shavings are working out the best. The pellets we tried didn't dissolve properly and felt quite damp!