Not Ellen looming, but Jorge...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've definitely said more than once this season that "thats it, thats me out of horses once these die"o_O
That’s me, too. Not replacing any of my 3 once they’ve gone.

Was briefly lovely here this morning. Had to bring them anyway in though as the effing hunt are hereabouts again, churning up tenant farmers’ land as always. Now it’s sideways sleet so I don’t feel as bad about having them in. Don’t care if the hunt get frozen and sopping :D.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The forecast for here was wrong! We have been able to put the horses out in glorious sunshine, for the first time, in I don't know how long. The wind is getting up now but we haven't had any precipitation since about half past 9 this morning, when we had plenty of sleet. The dogs have been able to play out too, which has cheered them (and us) up no end.

ETA, our fields look like EP's photos, the horses are paddling and can only get to eat hay, really, while our sheep are absolutely fed up We can't move the horses to a better field because they will trash that in a few hours too. We are seriously considering very expensive mud mats for next winter's turnout.

Last edited:

greenbean10

Visit site
The forecast for here was wrong! We have been able to put the horses out in glorious sunshine, for the first time, in I don't know how long. The wind is getting up now but we haven't had any precipitation since about half past 9 this morning, when we had plenty of sleet. The dogs have been able to play out too, which has cheered them (and us) up no end.

ETA, our fields look like EP's photos, the horses are paddling and can only get to eat hay, really, while our sheep are absolutely fed up We can't move the horses to a better field because they will trash that in a few hours too. We are seriously considering very expensive mud mats for next winter's turnout.

Where are you? I'm in West Sussex and exactly the same here. Windy, with a tiny bit of snow but generally nice sunshine.

Having said that, our arena is completely flooded and the field is totally trashed. It is really really getting to me.

Chianti

Visit site
Can I join the 'f++++d off' brigade? Spent the whole bloody winter weighing and soaking hay nets and trying to give fat pony some work every day to trim him down. Which worked and he lost weight! His paddock turned into a swamp after the first storm so he had to move into a big field with a herd living out. They have ad lib hay so he's spent the last few weeks happily stuffing his face - rarely walks away from the big bale - and I can already see the weight creeping back on. Very pissed off- I knew he'd put weight on in the spring but I didn't think it would be this way.

Myloubylou

Visit site
We are only allowed to turn out while we muck out to save us having to hand graze. I have 2 and never ridden so much in my life trying to keep them occupied. Fortunately our arena isn’t wet & the horses are great on the village roads where we are having to hack atm. We ride come rain or shine as long as is safe. Am going 3 hour round trip to thetford next weekend to get a decent hack in else think will lose all enthusiasm for it. The silver lining is has given me chance to see how fab my little mare is given lack of turnout & bloody awful weather. We certainly seemed to have gelled the past few months

ETA I’ve lost 4 pounds with all the extra mucking out & riding!

Visit site
I'm so over it all! I am another who will be out of horsesonce this lot have gone. But given that most of mine are natives that may br a long time coming ...

Finlib

Visit site
Today we woke to sunshine and have had rain snow hail and wind alternately.
horses are out on 4acres of foggage but keep running back in to the pole barn during the hail storms really big hail stones !
will corral them on the yard\pole barn at 5.30 Still soaking hay all set up with trough pulley and trolley to get it down to the pole barn but its still hard work .Just ordered another pallet of wood pellets and more shavings this winter is hitting my bank balance big time!!!
I think spring is due now we have all had enough!!

southerncomfort

Visit site

Its been lovely here today too. Wondering if the storm missed us.

We are forecast rain or snow between 6pm and 9pm, then dry but very windy for the rest of the night.

This is next weeks forecast.

20200229_081731.jpg

SEL

Visit site
Rain finished here by 11 and we've had sunshine and bitterly cold winds. Fields all flooded last night though.

Popped my 2 out to splash about on the one where the builders are supposed to start building new houses at the beginning of March....which is next week..
Good luck to them getting machinery on site and digging foundations because it's saturated.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Where are you? I'm in West Sussex and exactly the same here. Windy, with a tiny bit of snow but generally nice sunshine.

Having said that, our arena is completely flooded and the field is totally trashed. It is really really getting to me.

W. Yorkshire. We had a beautiful day here, horses were out in the field from 10.00 am til 5.00 pm which is the longest they've been out for several days. Then it started to snow and the wind suddenly became a gale. Snow has turned to rain now.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Well this morning we had bright sunshine, then the wind picked up, then it rained, then it snowed, rained again, threw hail stones, wind picked up some more, snowed again and rained ever bloody since ?????

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have sunshine too but still have high winds. The wind is forecast to drop about lunchtime, so the horses are in til then, as they have to have hay outside, which would blow away atm.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I know right! Look, sunshine, genuine sunshine, and blue sky ?

View attachment 41827
I woke up to that, cleaned the kitchen and headed out to the horses.... whereupon I duly got my morning shower :rolleyes: sleet and rain. How invigorating!
Back for breakfast and now about ready to go and do stables, and it's now a restful shade of grey drizzle. Wonder what time today's snowstorm will be?!

Oh, my forecast was sunny spells all day. This rain is Not Authorised!!! :mad:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I woke up to that, cleaned the kitchen and headed out to the horses.... whereupon I duly got my morning shower :rolleyes: sleet and rain. How invigorating!
Back for breakfast and now about ready to go and do stables, and it's now a restful shade of grey drizzle. Wonder what time today's snowstorm will be?!

Oh, my forecast was sunny spells all day. This rain is Not Authorised!!! :mad:

Oh no! We've still got sun here atm.

But no, this weather is just simply not cricket.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Still sunny here but very windy.

The water draining off the land is crazy. The drainage ditches are almost full. ?

Had the girls in overnight and managed to get most of the mud off them this morning. They are now out in the highest paddock which is the most dry, but also the most exposed, so it's a bit wild up there!

Forecast is still for dry weather next week.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Please can the ground dry out, just a little!
Decided that since we've been doing the same two hacks over and over thanks to weather/time, today we would go on a different route. The bridleway has turned into a full-on stream, running water pouring off the fields, neither pony nor self impressed with my choice of route ??‍♀️
Roll on dryer weather!

Rosemary28

Visit site
We had sunshine yesterday and ponies were so glad to get out! It was very windy though. Sunshine again today, just hoping it starts to dry the ground out even a little bit!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have some lovely sunshine - interspersed with frequent snow showers. We have postponed the farrier's visit scheduled for tomorrow until 2 weeks time (horses not shod)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Welsh side of Shropshire here...and some strange things have been happening.....this morning the sky has turned a strange colour (I believe our distant ancestors called this "blue") and there's a weird light coming from somewhere...???? ??? I'm told from folklore that there used to be this big ball of fire in the sky, they called it "sun" and it used to emit magical beams of light across the land making everything look pretty and "dry". "Dry" is apparently an ancient history term for the land not being mud.....
I'm going to be honest, I didn't actually believe in this stuff, passing it off as myth...BUT this morning I caught a glimpse of what might have been.
I do hope we all live long enough to see this wondrous phenomenon again ???? (I'm told it only happens once every eleventy 12 years).