Not sure what to do- kids pony

SEL

Visit site
In terms of your wallet a suspensory scan and blood test for muscle enzymes aren't hugely expensive. Tbh if there are problems with the ligaments then I'm not sure how much success you'd have with rehab. My PSSM field pet damaged hers by her hock in 2018 and has never really come right. Ligaments need rest, PSSM needs work. Tight muscles just put more strain on the hind end.... Vicious circle. But at least you'd have an answer sadly.

I sympathize with lack of electric!

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
In terms of your wallet a suspensory scan and blood test for muscle enzymes aren't hugely expensive. Tbh if there are problems with the ligaments then I'm not sure how much success you'd have with rehab. My PSSM field pet damaged hers by her hock in 2018 and has never really come right. Ligaments need rest, PSSM needs work. Tight muscles just put more strain on the hind end.... Vicious circle. But at least you'd have an answer sadly.

I sympathize with lack of electric!
Thanks SEL. Sorry to hear your horse didn’t come right. At least if I rule out suspensories I can get someone to work her (whereas if it’s suspensories then that’s bad news but I’ll know). Thanks for all the suggestions (to you and everyone on this thread). I honestly felt like giving up yesterday but have a few more things to try/check and there’s hope

Wishfilly

Visit site
My daughter is really upset by the whole thing, esp because a few weeks ago when she tried walking the pony in hand she reared, spun and double barreled in her direction, meaning she can’t help with rehab now. She tried to put the pony’s rain sheet on the other night and she ran away again double barrelling (I put a head collar on and calmly did the rug myself). It’s frustrating if you’re a kid and you want to do your pony yourself and as the pony is getting worse it’s hard for my daughter to stay positive and see an end in sight (we’ve owned for a few months and the pony has been out of action half this time). She’s been waiting so long for a pony, she just wants to have fun, rehabbing is fine but this behaviour isn’t

Yes, movement is getting worse despite completely changing the diet to forage plus, vit E (natural), magnesium, basic chaff and taking off grass, soaking hay, rugging more. At first she’d walk nicely in hand (but randomly go up). Now she’s shuffling behind, planting. I can’t lunge her (she plants, won’t move even with a whip), or walk her out in hand without planting every stride

I don’t know if it’s behaviour or pain. I’m thinking of sending her to the vets to get more tests and if nothing additional (to the PSSM and arthritis) is found then sending her away for rehab livery. I don’t have any help day to day, it’s just me so it’s hard

I think your plan sounds like a good one- I've got no knowledge of PSSM, so no help on that front, but if her movement and behaviour are getting worse, then to me it sounds like something else is going on?

Doing anything like this on your own is really hard- and it sounds very tough for your daughter as well.

Did the movement getting worse coincide with the dietary change? Or was it starting to happen before that?

honetpot

Visit site
First of all I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, I had two daughters that rode, and when things are not right it can make all you think you have failed.
If you can afford it, I would try and get a PC schoolmaster on loan, so your daughter can have fun. The trouble with problem ponies for children is that six months is a long time in a child's life, and by the time you have resolved the issue the child is either disheartened, or outgrown it.
Mothball the pony you have, even if not found another pony, and find somewhere that has natives and understand the need little dinners, and not a lot else, and try and create some distance to think about this objectively. This means you and your daughter do not need to handle it, so that removes one area of stress.
It is easy to say PTS, but hard when a child is involved, but you will have to manage this condition being aware all the time, and then have to rehome eventually.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
First of all I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, I had two daughters that rode, and when things are not right it can make all you think you have failed.
If you can afford it, I would try and get a PC schoolmaster on loan, so your daughter can have fun. The trouble with problem ponies for children is that six months is a long time in a child's life, and by the time you have resolved the issue the child is either disheartened, or outgrown it.
Mothball the pony you have, even if not found another pony, and find somewhere that has natives and understand the need little dinners, and not a lot else, and try and create some distance to think about this objectively. This means you and your daughter do not need to handle it, so that removes one area of stress.
It is easy to say PTS, but hard when a child is involved, but you will have to manage this condition being aware all the time, and then have to rehome eventually.
Thanks honetpot. If I could find a schoolmaster for loan that would be perfect but I never see anything like that for loan. I think you are right, before long my daughter will have grown up. She’s already slightly tall on this pony so will have grown out of her in no time. Also, being realistic, if I get this pony right will anyone be interested in a pony with si arthritis, hock arthritis and pssm? :-(
ETA: Pssm feels like such a tricky thing to manage. I misjudged the weather (wasn’t meant to rain) so she hasn’t had a rain sheet on overnight. I’m now worrying she’s going to be uncomfortable from getting wet/cold. Also what if we book a pc rally and she gets cold/has too much sugar, will we live on constant worry about her getting symptomatic? It’s easier to deal with this stuff when you’re an adult

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Hello, many years running rehabs yards here. I would send her to a good rehab yard (happy to recommend some in your area if you want to dm me).
I would start with this, put a realistic timeline on it, and then call it a day if no improvement when in professional rehab surroundings.
Thanks Starzaan, I’ll pm you. Is it often the case that horses do well in a rehab environment but then revert back when home (when being handled by a kid rather than professionals)?

Starzaan

Visit site
Thanks Starzaan, I’ll pm you. Is it often the case that horses do well in a rehab environment but then revert back when home (when being handled by a kid rather than professionals)?

I do see that quite a lot, but I make sure my clients come for some training before they go home so that this doesn’t happen.

honetpot

Visit site
Thanks honetpot. If I could find a schoolmaster for loan that would be perfect but I never see anything like that for loan. I think you are right, before long my daughter will have grown up. She’s already slightly tall on this pony so will have grown out of her in no time. Also, being realistic, if I get this pony right will anyone be interested in a pony with si arthritis, hock arthritis and pssm? :-(
ETA: Pssm feels like such a tricky thing to manage. I misjudged the weather (wasn’t meant to rain) so she hasn’t had a rain sheet on overnight. I’m now worrying she’s going to be uncomfortable from getting wet/cold. Also what if we book a pc rally and she gets cold/has too much sugar, will we live on constant worry about her getting symptomatic? It’s easier to deal with this stuff when you’re an adult
You do not say how old your daughter is, but I always discussed with mine likely outcomes, the idea being it's my decision, even when they were older teenagers, but I have talked it through, and it gave them time to process it. I am as the adult making the choice based on the long term quality of life for the animal, to take away any of their guilt that they have done something wrong, or not been good enough.
I find that this time of year is a good time to start looking, the clocks of gone back, and suddenly people start thinking of the mud and time. I used to hold our local PC sales list, and my advice is, get something that comes from someone who looks after it themselves, and has the same amount of time and facilities as you. A good pony living mainly out should be able to be ridden only at the weekend with no drama, if its being worked/lunged by someone else to keep the edge off, it may not the one for you.

Last edited:

Fred66

Visit site
I may sound callous here but it’s not my intent.

You bought this pony for your daughter to enjoy and not only can she not ride it she can’t handle it either. You have invested time and money in trying to get its physical problems diagnosed however even if you get the PSSM under control it’s always going to have the arthritis problem. It also appears to have resorted to dangerous behaviour in response to pain . This pony is likely to never be suitable for your daughter (or any child) and will be nigh on impossible to find a suitable home for.

Personally I think the right thing to do is to have the pony put down.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Hi everyone, I’ve made changes to my pony’s diet (for PSSM), she did stop rearing for a short while but became slow and reluctant to walk forward, not over tracking, like she’s stuck in mud (took her for an in hand walk which lasted 7mins becusse she was constantly planting). Have now taken her off grass and soaking her hay. Decided to try and walk her in hand today and when I asked for trot she went up and struck out with a front leg and caught me (luckily I’m not hurt). Any ideas of what this could be? She’s had bone scan, si and hock injections (X-rays and scans showed arthritis). I’m thinking this is more then Pssm now as her muscles feel soft and she’s on the most sugar free clean diet ever but still can’t trot. I’m also concerned that her response to pain is to strike out like this. I know SI arthritis has a poor prognosis so I’m wondering if it’s the SI? She didn’t massively improve after the injections and has rapidly got worse (she was injected 4 weeks ago). Vet was at a loss, said to get her working and work through it basically.

Do I give this more time, call it a day or send her for more tests? I don’t feel like I want to put myself at risk or max myself out financially. Thanks
ETA the vet didn’t scan suspensories. Could they cause rearing and shuffling behind in hand? She’s not been lame or done much under saddle

My sisters tb had si problems. Had them injected and was fine for three weeks, we did ridden walk hacking as the rehab. On the forth week he tried, politely, to dump me. I got off and his head dropped to the floor and he let out a huge groan. He was pts the next day as he did have other werid issues that ment he couldnt be retired.

SI issues can be very painful. And anyone who has had SI pain will agree with me.

How was she on a bute trial?

To me this all shouts pain if muscles are loose and jelly.

Have another chat with your vet about the pony's realistic quality of life from this point onwards.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
So sorry to hear about all your problems! My big lad with hock arthritis (which he's had since 6) would plant and shuffle when being bothered with his hocks. My other boy, the pony, plants when he's sore too (stifle issues). So I would make a guess and say the planting/shuffling etc is probably pain related (pain in the joints). For my horses steroid injections didn't work. Nowadays the big guy is on osphos and the the pony gets cartrophen injections twice a year. Both are fed devils claw and exercised daily to keep the stiffness at bay. Currently both are performing well considering their issues.

Unfortunately I think SI arthritis is much harder to treat sadly... Have you asked your vet about osphos? This treats arthritis throughout the body. Also for me the epiony heat pad and hock boots are my friends in the winter. Along with exercise sheets / lunge rugs.

PS. I have SI arthritis and it is very painful especially at this time of year. I am on a daily NSAID and use heat pads/infrared lamps along with physio to keep going.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
So sorry to hear about all your problems! My big lad with hock arthritis (which he's had since 6) would plant and shuffle when being bothered with his hocks. My other boy, the pony, plants when he's sore too (stifle issues). So I would make a guess and say the planting/shuffling etc is probably pain related (pain in the joints). For my horses steroid injections didn't work. Nowadays the big guy is on osphos and the the pony gets cartrophen injections twice a year. Both are fed devils claw and exercised daily to keep the stiffness at bay. Currently both are performing well considering their issues.

Unfortunately I think SI arthritis is much harder to treat sadly... Have you asked your vet about osphos? This treats arthritis throughout the body. Also for me the epiony heat pad and hock boots are my friends in the winter. Along with exercise sheets / lunge rugs.

PS. I have SI arthritis and it is very painful especially at this time of year. I am on a daily NSAID and use heat pads/infrared lamps along with physio to keep going.
Thanks everyone. Some very good points made. I lost my last horse to SI arthritis. He was injected and never came right despite extensive rehab :-( I was going to do a bute trial but after the pony reared and tried to strike me I’ll openly admit I don’t want to try again. I’ve booked her into the vets tomorrow, going to ask them to scan suspensories, check bloods and also ask their honest opinion on this pony’s quality of life/prospects going forward if it’s the SI. The fact her answer to pain is to try and strike out at her handler (me) isn’t great. Also not great that she’s been injected, had bone scan and pssm diet is isn’t better (she actually worse). I really hope there is something that can be done, I won’t give up on her if there’s a chance of fixing her. Equally I know from experience you can’t keep going sometimes. I’ll update when I know

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
You do not say how old your daughter is, but I always discussed with mine likely outcomes, the idea being it's my decision, even when they were older teenagers, but I have talked it through, and it gave them time to process it. I am as the adult making the choice based on the long term quality of life for the animal, to take away any of their guilt that they have done something wrong, or not been good enough.
I find that this time of year is a good time to start looking, the clocks of gone back, and suddenly people start thinking of the mud and time. I used to hold our local PC sales list, and my advice is, get something that comes from someone who looks after it themselves, and has the same amount of time and facilities as you. A good pony living mainly out should be able to be ridden only at the weekend with no drama, if its being worked/lunged by someone else to keep the edge off, it may not the one for you.

My daughter is 13. The big problem I have is that, after buying this pony I don’t have the money to buy another. I feel so bad for her. She’s been waiting so long for a pony. The first one was too much for her (too big, too strong) and now this poor pony is broken. She just wants to hack out, pop a small jump, ride round the field. She’s getting to the stage where she’s lost trust in her pony after seeing her behaviour on the ground

eahotson

Visit site
My daughter is 13. The big problem I have is that, after buying this pony I don’t have the money to buy another. I feel so bad for her. She’s been waiting so long for a pony. The first one was too much for her (too big, too strong) and now this poor pony is broken. She just wants to hack out, pop a small jump, ride round the field. She’s getting to the stage where she’s lost trust in her pony after seeing her behaviour on the ground
So sorry to hear that.With cost of living crisis though there maybe some full or part loans around.Dont dismiss a small horse if it is suitable.