Not the day I planned… but I got an ambulance ride!

Billyandme

Visit site
If its any consolation I was completely unaware of my surroundings for at least 3 days following open reduction a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle 2 years agi. They kept me in Hosptal for 5 days. When I was at home I slept on a blow up mattress in the lounge and as our main bathroom is downstairs I could just about get tk the loo. Admittedly I was 63 years of age when I did this but your body has undergone a huge trauma.

Within 6 weeks I was mobile with a walking boot but the key to it was private physio. I was driving 2 months later and although I was horseless due to my accident I am still riding albeit less but I have diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and this affected me far more than the ankle fracture

scats

Visit site
If its any consolation I was completely unaware of my surroundings for at least 3 days following open reduction a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle 2 years agi. They kept me in Hosptal for 5 days. When I was at home I slept on a blow up mattress in the lounge and as our main bathroom is downstairs I could just about get tk the loo. Admittedly I was 63 years of age when I did this but your body has undergone a huge trauma.

Within 6 weeks I was mobile with a walking boot but the key to it was private physio. I was driving 2 months later and although I was horseless due to my accident I am still riding albeit less but I have diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and this affected me far more than the ankle fracture

Thank you xx
I need to remind myself that I’m doing well really, considering everything my body and brain has been through. I feel so much better tonight from having been out today. I’m definitely a person who needs fresh air and time outside the house.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Thank you xx
I need to remind myself that I’m doing well really, considering everything my body and brain has been through. I feel so much better tonight from having been out today. I’m definitely a person who needs fresh air and time outside the house.
Much as your body needs conventional healthcare, your mind and spirit need nature to heal. Really pleased you had such a great day.

scats

Visit site
Little update from the one-legged one! I’ve got my 2 week post-op check on Friday which can’t come quick enough because this cast is rubbing the top of my foot something rotten and I think it might have caused a graze. It’s gone very loose now because the swelling has gone down and I’ve lost muscle, so I think that’s why.

Apart from that I’m doing ok. Still finding it hard to eat much but I am trying to get at least 2 meals in me a day. Again, no real pain other than my big dog walked into my foot the other day while it was hanging over the footstool and just ploughed forward to get through the gap between the footstool and coffee table, bending my foot inwards (well, as far as plated and casted foot will bend). Blimey that hurt! I mean really, really deep intense bone pain hurt. My teacher friends from my old job had come to see me so I just laughed it off and carried on chatting but it throbbed for hours afterwards. I hope to god she didn’t damage anything!

Im off out tomorrow to another garden centre (are you sensing a theme?) with my mum, so I’m looking forward to that.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Thanks for the update! Very (non) helpful of your dog but so very pet…
Roll on Friday, hopefully it’s mostly the swelling going down and not too much muscle loss, keep stuffing your face (I have to eat when I really don’t want to, can sympathise) and have a lovely time tomorrow with your mum ?

scats

Visit site
Thanks for the update! Very (non) helpful of your dog but so very pet…
Roll on Friday, hopefully it’s mostly the swelling going down and not too much muscle loss, keep stuffing your face (I have to eat when I really don’t want to, can sympathise) and have a lovely time tomorrow with your mum ?

Thank you ? We used to always go to the garden centres at Christmas- me, my mum and my Nan. It was our little tradition. When Nan died 4 years ago, me and mum kept the tradition up because we felt my Nan would have wanted us to, so I’m certainly not letting a broken bone ruin it this year!
It’s lovely to have something to look forward to doing. I’m going to try and have something lined up every week to help pass the time as it really does help. I’m ridiculously excited about my hospital appointment on Friday, simply coz it’s a trip out ? Oh how sad my life has become!

SEL

Visit site
Thank you ? We used to always go to the garden centres at Christmas- me, my mum and my Nan. It was our little tradition. When Nan died 4 years ago, me and mum kept the tradition up because we felt my Nan would have wanted us to, so I’m certainly not letting a broken bone ruin it this year!
It’s lovely to have something to look forward to doing. I’m going to try and have something lined up every week to help pass the time as it really does help. I’m ridiculously excited about my hospital appointment on Friday, simply coz it’s a trip out ? Oh how sad my life has become!
Both our local garden centres have put on great displays this year. When you add in cake it's a very nice tradition!

scats

Visit site
Second trip out today. You’ve all come this far on the journey with me so you might as well come the rest of the way!

Went to another garden centre, with my mum this time. In my faithful wheelchair. Looked at all the Christmas stuff, had a nice lunch and then looked at more Christmas stuff.
Lovely little ‘village’ display with those lit up houses and things
06404C8C-615D-4A12-B9C0-C6A1FA9AEAAC.jpeg

Leg got a bit achey towards the end of the day because it hadn’t been elevated for a while, but I’ve got it back up again now.

I feel so much more human when I get out the house. Next trip out- fracture clinic!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm glad you are feeling more like yourself, now. I recognise the feeling if excitement at being able to get out of the house to attend fracture clinic, too. My recovery was partially during lockdown, as well :(

scats

Visit site
The only slight issue that’s arisen now is my lower back/SI, which I’ve struggled with for years, has decided that now is a fantastic time to go into spasm everytime I’m on my crutches. It must be to do with the angle or way I twist or move. It spasms that much sometimes that I’m doubled over on my crutches and can’t move. Not terribly helpful, I have to say ?
Im having to take a ridiculous amount of painkillers, not for my ankle, but my stupid back ??

Esmae

Visit site
Pleased to hear you are on the mend. Hope that you progress without further problem. Great that you can get out and about a bit. It does wonders for your mental well being.

Trouper

Visit site
The only slight issue that’s arisen now is my lower back/SI, which I’ve struggled with for years, has decided that now is a fantastic time to go into spasm everytime I’m on my crutches. It must be to do with the angle or way I twist or move. It spasms that much sometimes that I’m doubled over on my crutches and can’t move. Not terribly helpful, I have to say ?
Im having to take a ridiculous amount of painkillers, not for my ankle, but my stupid back ??
Your body has been through a hell of a lot - not just the leg - and the muscle/fascia tensions must be all over the place. Is there any way you could get an appointment with a physio/masseur to release some of this tension now you are more mobile? Releasing any of the tension may enable you to move more freely now.
We would do it for our horses.;);)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Second trip out today. You’ve all come this far on the journey with me so you might as well come the rest of the way!

Went to another garden centre, with my mum this time. In my faithful wheelchair. Looked at all the Christmas stuff, had a nice lunch and then looked at more Christmas stuff.
Lovely little ‘village’ display with those lit up houses and things
View attachment 103356

Leg got a bit achey towards the end of the day because it hadn’t been elevated for a while, but I’ve got it back up again now.

I feel so much more human when I get out the house. Next trip out- fracture clinic!

Keep it coming, we're all rooting for you and it's strangely compelling reading ?

scats

Visit site
Your body has been through a hell of a lot - not just the leg - and the muscle/fascia tensions must be all over the place. Is there any way you could get an appointment with a physio/masseur to release some of this tension now you are more mobile? Releasing any of the tension may enable you to move more freely now.
We would do it for our horses.;);)

That’s a really good idea actually! I might have a ring around tomorrow.

scats

Visit site
I'd hoped that you had already been offered physio by the NHS - you are bound to be on the wonk after all you've been through. A good physio would also help with how best to manage getting about with your cast and crutches.

You might have to go private, but it would be well worth it.

I was wondering this. I assume they don’t trigger the physio part until I’m weight bearing again. I did see a physio in hospital but that was really just to check I can get up and down stairs (as soon as I got home I reverted to the bum shuffle- far safer!).
I would go private but unfortunately my dreadful rookie mistake of not having personal injury on my insurance means I have no income at all now.
Fortunately I have savings in my help to buy ISA that I am sadly going to have to dip into, but I’m trying to keep that to an absolute minimum

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I wouldn't assume that physio will automatically be triggered at all. It wasn't for my wrist, and I broke both bones, one into the joint, and my hand was hanging off. Scream and shout if you don't get offered it Scats, it makes all the difference.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I was wondering this. I assume they don’t trigger the physio part until I’m weight bearing again. I did see a physio in hospital but that was really just to check I can get up and down stairs (as soon as I got home I reverted to the bum shuffle- far safer!).
I don't think it's offered routinely, now. My mum had a serious leg break nearly two years ago and was never offered physio, despite major surgery on it and not being weight bearing for nearly 6 months. She had to specifically request it and is still on the list waiting (which probably answers the question as to why it's not offered at the outset - no bloody point!). Agree with physio suggestion. Also when I was laid up (pelvis injury) and had the same issue, I took a low dose of diazepam, which helped a lot.

Fraggle2

Visit site
Have a look and see if your local NHS physio is self referral. As down here in the south it is. You have to fill all the forms etc yourself. If you can speak to your gp they should send you the forms.

scats

Visit site
They told me on surgery day that I’d need physio to walk again and that they were going to arrange it for this side of the water (I’m under Liverpool for my break as they take major traumas to Aintree) but having been told so many different things at every appointment, I will push for this and make sure it’s happening.

This current cast is quite loose now so I’m able to flex my ankle joint up and down a bit. Have tentatively tried sideways movement but that’s a bit of a no-go because of the pain in my tib and joint.
I felt and heard a very strange ‘ping’ last night when I moved my leg in bed. Hoping it was just a nerve firing and not a screw breaking!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I did get offered physio after breaking 5 vertebrae and 4 ribs recently but unfortunately the appointment was for the day we were moving house. My file was supposed to be being transferred over to our local hospital but I’ve not heard anything from them so far ?‍♀️. I decided to get some sessions with a private physio as in my experience the quicker you start physio, the better the results.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Can you speak to the physio who showed you how to use the crutches? You might need to ring the ward. You might find that heat patches work on your back muscles, I do.

scats

Visit site
You have the strangest taste in cuddly toys ? How's the Orang?

Orang is doing well! She’s sat across the room from me now ??

not sure how i feel about lanky cat but I dont think its positive

Ah lanky is gorgeous, he reminds me of a witches cat! I saw him a while back but refrained from adding him to my basket, but this week I decided I needed cheering up ?

scats

Visit site
Can you speak to the physio who showed you how to use the crutches? You might need to ring the ward. You might find that heat patches work on your back muscles, I do.

Theres a physio attached to the fracture clinic I’m at on Friday so I will see if I can speak to someone about it.

Already had my next appointment through! 30th December, exactly 4 weeks from this Friday. Hopefully that’s the day I get my cast off and go into a boot ?

Bradsmum

Visit site
I hope you do get a boot. My stupid consultant told me to just start walking when my cast was finally removed!!! Absolutely impossible when foot and ankle were still swollen and I could not flex my foot. I then gave it a couple of weeks to see if swelling would go down but it didn't so phoned GP. She told me to do a self referral to physio dept. Best thing I did. Physio was cross that hospital hadn't referred me but I've had 4 sessions now since end of Sept and at long last am feeling the benefit though still not walking comfortably.