Novelty Clips.. love or hate them? Pictures welcome :)

cob&onion

Visit site
This!!

I also think its a little unfair to make a horse stand for hours while you mess around clipping pretty patterns into it - a little design on the bum is one thing, but the full on zebra must take hours!

Sure some horses don't mind, but in my mind clipping is something to get done as speedily as possible so horse isn't freezing and I spend the least amount of time hairy possible.

My cob loves being clipped, she falls asleep!

Our old pony was one of the first to sport the new stencil type clipping designs. I clipped a superman design on his bottom and, as a whizzy jumping pony, it really suited him. He ended up as a model for the stencil company and i see his photo on ebay used by other people to advertise their stencils - totally without permission - which is a bit annoying. That was about five years ago and my daughter has grown out of that kind of thing now - have to say I'm sort of sad because I used to enjoy doing them.
a91351e4fa27a42a23ef19a3a113f986.jpg

Brilliant! ilove to be creative and may get clipper happy with my daughters pony :p she would love that! my lister libertys are on order and should be here next week!!

Do you think a reverse heart would look okay? as leave the hair and clip out the shape?! :p

Talyn

Visit site
I don't like them and would never do them on my own horses. I have clipped other peoples horses and had to put shapes on bums - only stars and lightening bolts though - nothing overly complicated!

Enfys

Visit site
If your a kid fine, if your a adult, come on really. Errr NO.

Errr yes :) at the time it was very appropriate.

I had the Welsh Dragon, because I hunted with a Welsh pack, and the CA logo, because I supported the Countryside Alliance, still do.
That was the time of the Marchs and Great Meets, it was a show of support.

kal40

Visit site
I have to get the vet to sedate my boy to clip anyway and it wears off just as we are finishing. Doing patterns would be far too risky!!

Anyway, he came with his own design, he's piebald ;)

budley95

Visit site
When I first got mine at 13 I really wanted a beer bottle on his bum as he was called Budweiser. Mum told me I couldn't because he's a proper horse .. My friend had a pony called Geordie so he had a castle, another friend had beaux so she had a champagne bottle. Novelty patterns always used to be done for the pony. My first pony could never warrant being clipped, my second one just always had a blanket, same for my 3rd, I've had an Irish done on my boy this year instead of a blanket/full. I tend to switch it up! Think I've outgrown it now, but clipping for names was always fun! Still don't know what I could of clipped on nippers bum...

Jinx94

Visit site
might be a daft question.. but wouldn't some of these full body novelty clips create pressure points under the saddle? or would it not cause any real difference?

EmmaB

Visit site
^I wouldn't think hair would create a pressure point really, unless they are super sensitive, people leave a patch sometimes where the saddle goes which of course isn't the exact shape of the saddle.

Don't see the problem some people have with it...if it won't grow out in time for showing then fair enough but its only a bit of fun. I wouldn't clip my horse like a zebra myself but nothing wrong with it, or a few hearts/starts on the bum. Wouldn't go around saying people are childish for doing it!

Starzaan

Visit site
Personally I think they look ridiculous. I don't mind the odd heart or lightning strike on pony club ponies' bottoms, but anything else looks dreadful to me.

But then, I can't cope if any of my horses manes and tails start growing out of their pulled beautifulness...

khalswitz

Visit site
I'll be honest, I'm seriously considering clipping one onto my horse... a Guaranteed Irish symbol :D because he is Irish, and his name is Geoff so the 'g' is extra appropriate... plus I figure if I decide I don't like it I can just clip it off again...

I am very immature though. Plus still a member of the Pony Club, even if the other side of twenty... so I can justify it?