Novice - elementary

Sheep

Visit site
Hi everyone,
I will discuss with my trainer of course but was interested to get some suggestions on what are the most difficult Novice BD tests / easiest Elementary tests? I would like to dip my toe into Elem at some stage this year, so thought I would see what you all thought.
Also, if anyone has any tips for taking the step up, I’m all ears!

Last edited:

ruth83

Visit site
In my humble opinion, E42 is more straightforward than some of the Novice tests.

Biggest tip, don't forget the halt on the way in! If you haven't done one at Novice, it is easily done!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
E42 and 44 are nice tests. Generally the higher number novice tests are the harder ones but it depends what your horses strengths and weaknesses are. Pick a test to suit their strengths.

Littlebear

Visit site
It depends if you like long/short arena, e40 is such an easy test, as is 43, if you prefer short 42 and 44 are also straight forward, just depends on your preference. Not that I have done any for a while but when i started that level those were the ones i stuck with until i felt more comfortable x

Roxylola

Visit site
Lots of canter in 44 (I've just been pondering an online entry). You seem to go from one end do a circle, back to the other end do something else etc. But no counter canter or simple change in there.
I've ridden 53 years ago and found it flowed well.
Given a choice I'd go for one with a long arena, just gives a bit more thinking space I find

Sprat

Visit site
N37a is a hateful test. On the flip side, most of the early ele's are quite nice really. Short arena don't tend to have much lateral work in the earlier tests and the long arena have a little leg yield / shoulder in.

eggs

Visit site
I find that the lower numbered Elementary tests aren't really any more difficult than the higher numbered Novice tests. The higher numbered Elementary tests are quite a big step up.

When I did my first elementary I was getting stressed about the collected trot but my trainer (list 1 judge) told me now to worry and just do our normal trot (you just need to be able to do the moves in your trot).