NPA behind wwyd?

ponyparty

Visit site
Hey @McGrools did you get your mare shod yet? How’s it going?

Mine was meant to be shod on Thursday but she came in lame Tuesday night, has sliced her off hind sole on something sharp. She was very sore and I was wet poulticing so she stayed in until this morning, she’s on dry poultice with iodine and sugar paste now and farrier reckons she’ll be ok to shoe by next week 🤞

She must have heard me say it’s time to bring her into more consistent work 🤦‍♀️

McGrools

Visit site
Hey @McGrools did you get your mare shod yet? How’s it going?

Mine was meant to be shod on Thursday but she came in lame Tuesday night, has sliced her off hind sole on something sharp. She was very sore and I was wet poulticing so she stayed in until this morning, she’s on dry poultice with iodine and sugar paste now and farrier reckons she’ll be ok to shoe by next week 🤞

She must have heard me say it’s time to bring her into more consistent work 🤦‍♀️
😆
My mare has a respite too! I had to go racing with work on the day of the farrier visit so had to postpone and have failed to rearrange this far.
I’m leaning towards leaving her bare and trying to get some really good hind boots fitted. Will need a fitter to come out.
I much prefer them running around the field without shoes.
Plus I’ve tweaked my back this week so can’t ride anyway.
And the weather and ground are awful so I’m in no rush.
fate is playing its part 😆

ponyparty

Visit site
Well, the sole injury behind is healing nicely and farrier is due tomorrow to shoe her.

Except now she’s come in very lame in front..! I can’t feel any heat in the hoof, obvs checked leg etc too but from the sudden onset and restricted turnout she’s on I’m fairly sure it’ll be hoof.

I’ve not poulticed, I thought maybe best to just bute her up and see what farrier can find tomorrow (and start poulticing from then if necessary). Now thinking I should have just stuck a wet poultice on in case 🤯

Every possible negative scenario/what if/should have is running through my head! But she’s in, on a nice thick bed to the front of her stable, buted up, and I’ll know more tomorrow. Need to stop driving myself mad.

Should have known better than to start feeling optimistic and making plans 🙄 horses!

McGrools

Visit site
Lol exactly the same scenario here. Farrier due yesterday to do hinds.
She stood on something sharp at the weekend on a fore. Was hopping lane Sunday. 3 days inside poulticed and booted. Much better now but farrier cancelled. I think fate is trying to tell me something.
I shall keep her bare for now. X

ponyparty

Visit site
Omg it’s like we’re living parallel lives with this right now 😂 so frustrating, glad she’s on the mend though! And hope you manage to get out and have some fun with her soon, now we’ve got lighter evenings and hopefully some better weather 🤞 x

ponyparty

Visit site
This wet weather is causing so many hoof issues Arabi was crippled Tuesday with sore heels and his grown a weird sole, farrier said his seen so many horses with the same thing.
The country store by me had loads of Animalintex last week - this morning it's half gone, and I took the last 8 rolls of vetwrap, must be a fair few people round here struggling with it too! Need to find somewhere else stocking vetwrap or order some online as they don't know when they're getting more in. And I've now got 2 hooves to dress daily. It's beyond a joke!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The country store by me had loads of Animalintex last week - this morning it's half gone, and I took the last 8 rolls of vetwrap, must be a fair few people round here struggling with it too! Need to find somewhere else stocking vetwrap or order some online as they don't know when they're getting more in. And I've now got 2 hooves to dress daily. It's beyond a joke!
Use a nappy over it then a thick feed sack and duct tape it's much cheaper than vet wrap in the long run, the premature nappies fit my horses feet perfectly.

Or if they are in a stable a nappy with duct tape will keep in on I just use a feed sack for turnout.

Landcruiser

Visit site
This wet weather is causing so many hoof issues Arabi was crippled Tuesday with sore heels and his grown a weird sole, farrier said his seen so many horses with the same thing.
What sort of weird? Asking because one of mine has also grown a weird sole on both fronts - It's like a false sole but it's hard like true sole, it seems to have developed into a broad ridge/pad all around the rim, inside the wall. The WLs are tight, but it looks like they aren't because I trim the walls flush with the "ridge" but there's a "valley" between the ridge and the walls. It's almost like the sole is protruding - horse is perfectly comfortable, including over stones. That sort of weird?

ponyparty

Visit site
Use a nappy over it then a thick feed sack and duct tape it's much cheaper than vet wrap in the long run, the premature nappies fit my horses feet perfectly.

Or if they are in a stable a nappy with duct tape will keep in on I just use a feed sack for turnout.
Ah I've been putting a nappy, then vetwrap to make it smoother/more compact, then sliding a hoof boot on over the top (I already had them, and they're way easier than faffing with duct tap). Luckily with the pads removed her hoof boots still fit over all that! Possibly don't need the vetwrap though.
I did think "I should put all 4 boots on" as she was having restricted turnout on the yard (it's not surfaced properly - there's a grassy section, which she was enjoying mowing, but there is a quite rough area too) but then thought no, I'll just put them on her hinds, and keep a pair drying so when they get wet/muddy I can clean/dry them and she can still have a pair on. Wishing I'd just put them on all round now though, she'd never have got this bruise :( I reckon she's trodden on a stony bit, possibly if the other horses went out of sight she'd have had a bit of a run around. But my thinking was that it beats her being cooped up in a box out of sight of the others, stressing the whole time, and avoids her getting in the deep mud in the fields. There's standing water in the divots and at pinch points it's knee deep. There's a hard standing track along the hedgerow so they can get out of mud/wet and dry off - but the stones are quite sharp in places (which is probably the cause of all this!). Can't win!
Will see what happens after a couple of days of wet poulticing. Maybe then I'll chuck her back out with the others, with feed sack wellies (under boots so no other injuries occur?!). I'll just have to see how we go.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would just duct tape over nappy no need for vet wrap, I've used gamgee over the nappy before under the feed sack it might not fit in the boot though.

If you make a square out of the strips of tape then just whack it over the bottom of the hoof it's easier than winding it over the hoof.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would want some blocks done on the suspensories before doing anything .
In fact I would want to go straight to ultrasound scan of the vet would but they tend to want to block first .

ponyparty

Visit site
I would want some blocks done on the suspensories before doing anything .
In fact I would want to go straight to ultrasound scan of the vet would but they tend to want to block first .
Well, everything is on hold now until these sole bruises/abscesses are sorted..!
After that my first step will be to get graduated 3D pads on, and see what we've got. I'm not ruling anything out though - if I need to dig further, I will, and will bear that in mind.

McGrools

Visit site
Well, everything is on hold now until these sole bruises/abscesses are sorted..!
After that my first step will be to get graduated 3D pads on, and see what we've got. I'm not ruling anything out though - if I need to dig further, I will, and will bear that in mind.
Same. Everything on hold until the bruise heals and weather dries up cos my turnout is a clay bog. Horrendous through the gateway. Please stop raining 🙏🙏

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Mine have been sold out of poultice and vet wrap on a regular basis this winter, terrible weather for feet

ponyparty

Visit site
Oh my god I am losing the will to live 😂

Current arrangement is she’s out on a track with grass and hedgerow, separate from the others as their field is just too deep to turn her out in. She’s booted all round, boots over hoof dressings on the 2 bad feet. Plastic bags over dressings and under boots to keep them dry, which has been working fine, until now. I arrive this morning to find her with both bad feet bare 🤯 I think a combination of slippy plastic bags, rain, mud making it hard to get the boots on tight enough (and no opportunity to wash them properly), high winds meaning she’s possibly run around…

Anyway she came in with ANOTHER stone stuck in the existing hole in her hind 🙃 feeling very grateful she didn’t cave my head in as I removed it 😂 good girl.

She’s now back in, with dressing back on hind hoof and duct tape over it. It’s still producing gunk, and now it’s got dirt in it I expect it may produce more gunk! Front hoof hasn’t produced anything when poulticed, but the sole is soft. I’ve painted on some Stockholm tar and am hoping for the best. Meanwhile I’m washing hoof boots and having a little cry while I regroup decide what to do next. May ask farrier to come and put fronts on, with pads, so I can just concentrate on getting this hind better.

I daren’t turn out unbooted, even with duct tape and a feed sack, the sharp stones would rip it open. Plus her other hooves would be open to injury.

Just came to here to moan, no real update 😂

McGrools

Visit site
Oh my god I am losing the will to live 😂

Current arrangement is she’s out on a track with grass and hedgerow, separate from the others as their field is just too deep to turn her out in. She’s booted all round, boots over hoof dressings on the 2 bad feet. Plastic bags over dressings and under boots to keep them dry, which has been working fine, until now. I arrive this morning to find her with both bad feet bare 🤯 I think a combination of slippy plastic bags, rain, mud making it hard to get the boots on tight enough (and no opportunity to wash them properly), high winds meaning she’s possibly run around…

Anyway she came in with ANOTHER stone stuck in the existing hole in her hind 🙃 feeling very grateful she didn’t cave my head in as I removed it 😂 good girl.

She’s now back in, with dressing back on hind hoof and duct tape over it. It’s still producing gunk, and now it’s got dirt in it I expect it may produce more gunk! Front hoof hasn’t produced anything when poulticed, but the sole is soft. I’ve painted on some Stockholm tar and am hoping for the best. Meanwhile I’m washing hoof boots and having a little cry while I regroup decide what to do next. May ask farrier to come and put fronts on, with pads, so I can just concentrate on getting this hind better.

I daren’t turn out unbooted, even with duct tape and a feed sack, the sharp stones would rip it open. Plus her other hooves would be open to injury.

Just came to here to moan, no real update 😂
Feel you. Similar scenario here.
crack in the sole of one fore, I have 2 horses. A clay bog.
I can’t keep the injured party in on her own without the other cos she goes mental. So they are either both stuck in 24/7 which after being in for most of 24’ to date is crippling me financially, or they are both out. Not a prayer that any kind of hoof boot will stay on through the mud.
Currently both in at night bad foot poulticed, and let out foot naked in the day. Such a worry

ponyparty

Visit site
Solidarity ✊ it’s so crap isn’t it!

I kept her in yesterday morning while I took her boots home to wash and dry, but didn’t dare let the others onto the track to be close by her as they’ve been eating the boundary fence 🤬 which now has a couple of holes in it. I think I know which the culprit is, but they’re not my horses and I don’t think the owner will take responsibility (long story) so I can’t risk having them on there again. So they were out of sight of her while she was in, and when I went up at lunchtime she had box walked her stable into a right mess and gone through the toe of her duct tape “boot” 🤦‍♀️

I’m beyond done with it! Off to the yard in a sec and just feeling pure dread tbh.

If the ground would dry up and they could go in the nice, flat, stone-free, non-muddy summer field, it would be a non-issue 😭

I just hope all the training I’ve been doing over the last 4 months will be retained and she’s not back to square one about leaving the others to go out hacking on her own. We had made so much progress! 😩

lynz88

Visit site
What sort of weird? Asking because one of mine has also grown a weird sole on both fronts - It's like a false sole but it's hard like true sole, it seems to have developed into a broad ridge/pad all around the rim, inside the wall. The WLs are tight, but it looks like they aren't because I trim the walls flush with the "ridge" but there's a "valley" between the ridge and the walls. It's almost like the sole is protruding - horse is perfectly comfortable, including over stones. That sort of weird?

I noticed similar with mine except it's between the bars and wall in the "deepest" part of the foot/sole area if that makes any sense. My theory is that as long as the horse is comfortable, I will go with it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I call that a false shoe, and my experience is that it will peel off when the foot is strong enough for the horse not to need it any more.

ponyparty

Visit site
That’s interesting @ycbm - I have a book on hoof trimming and (from memory) it says when that happens it shows the toe needs to come back, and to bevel to the white line on a short trim cycle. What (if anything) would/did you do, trim-wise, in this case?
I’m sure my old horse had this at some point and a trimmer referred to it as “retracted soles”.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Arabi is still up and down with his feet the bumps on the sole are still there his fine on grass, I think when mud gets stuck to the sole abd he walks on concrete its putting pressure on the soft sore sole.

I've been picking his feet out before I walk him on the hard and his so much better, I actually did a coat of hoof armour on the fronts yesterday and his much better today so I'm going to order some more

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That’s interesting @ycbm - I have a book on hoof trimming and (from memory) it says when that happens it shows the toe needs to come back, and to bevel to the white line on a short trim cycle. What (if anything) would/did you do, trim-wise, in this case?
I’m sure my old horse had this at some point and a trimmer referred to it as “retracted soles”.

I think it's just about possible to see that I took the hoof wall out of contact with the ground at the front to reduce the leverage on his toe. His feet were so weak I could bend them with my hands. I wouldn't touch the callous, the horse has produced it to protect and strengthen. Some do the same thing with the bars.

That horse shed the callous in his own time when he no longer needed it. His front feet ended up round and from having narrowly avoided an appointment to be PTS (it was booked by the owner, cancelled when I offered to take him) he went on to be a sound all rounder for many years.

He was immensely sensitive to grass, though, and it could only be done with a largely grass free life.

ponyparty

Visit site
This morning's poultice change didn't go very well, B was very fidgety and wrenched my shoulder hopping about on her other hind as I was holding the bad one up. It got me to musing... she's always been fidgety when having her feet handled. Is this NPA related - I have seen on Progressive Equine about horses being so much easier to shoe once NPA has been addressed and they're comfortable.
So now I'm thinking... I can't get her shod with the graduated 3D pads until this hoof has healed (it's getting there, but slowly!). But why do I need to wait for the farrier? Can I not just wedge pad her hoof boots? She's in them almost all the time at the moment, just a few hours in her stable in the morning without them while I wash them (sorry, washing machine!). If the ground ever dries up, I won't need to do that.
I'd be really interested to see if it offers her relief, as an interim at least. But not sure it's a good idea to just go off and start experimenting on my own.
Any thoughts or experiences?

McGrools

Visit site
I’m always experimenting on my own. Lol. Not sure if it’s wise or not, but at least I’m learning what works and what doesn’t in the meantime.
My mare snatches the right hind and bunny hops onto both hinds when I handle her hind feet. I think there is something going on higher up. But vet wanted her shod all round with 3 d pads before investigations which I have not managed to achieve yet and now has the hole in the sole.
She has had enough of being in and has started escaping her stable. Turned out with a cavallo boot on the fore with the hole in it the other day, took me a good hour to find it again in the field. Out today with 2 nappies and a load of waterproof duct tape. Still intact thus far.
Oh what fun we are having 😆😆
I would maybe post on a barefoot group on fb asking for advice. Some of them are very good for knowledge.

ponyparty

Visit site
:eek: not the barefoot groups on fb 😂 I think I unfollowed them all after getting fed up of the militant attitudes. Maybe things have mellowed over the last few years though... I'll go have a look!

Really feel your pain. I left mine with run of her stable, the yard and the track up to the field where her friends are last night. Ok, it's trashing the yard a bit (a lot), but she seems much happier. And hopefully it'll dry out a bit now as we're due some drier weather. Boots seem to be staying on now at least (famous last words...).

McGrools

Visit site
:eek: not the barefoot groups on fb 😂 I think I unfollowed them all after getting fed up of the militant attitudes. Maybe things have mellowed over the last few years though... I'll go have a look!

Really feel your pain. I left mine with run of her stable, the yard and the track up to the field where her friends are last night. Ok, it's trashing the yard a bit (a lot), but she seems much happier. And hopefully it'll dry out a bit now as we're due some drier weather. Boots seem to be staying on now at least (famous last words...).
Both of mine are running round the field naked like a pair of nutters today! Think spring is in the air! They are excited to see some decent weather as me!
I know what you mean about the bf groups but there are a few knowledgable people on there. There is a lot of infighting isnt there? 😆

ponyparty

Visit site
I'm desperate to turn mine out properly, I've asked YO when I can move them to another field. Hoping this weekend or next weekend, then she can go out as it won't be so boggy!
I did search one barefoot group on fb and found some info but again, lots of conflicting (strong) opinions, not based on fact/research, that I can see. I've ordered some scoot 3 degree wedged pads that can be cut to size for other boots... for the price of them, worth a try. Won't be for long anyway, just until she gets shod.