NS, KK, Sprenger bits V's Traditional bits

Dottie

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance (*blush*), but i just wondered what the difference is between these bits and the traditional types?

Do they really improve the horses way of going? Do you notice a difference in your horse if you use these types of bits? Do you think they 'fit' better then traditional mouth pieces?

I use a loose ring french link with my horse as she goes better in this then a eggbutt snaffle. I was under the impression that it was 'kinder' to the horse then a eggbutt, but i must admit when i looked in her mouth with the french link in, it looked horrible and like it was crushing her tongue!
shocked.gif
(It is the right size ect
wink.gif
)

Do you think these Neue Schule, KK bits ect are worth the money?

Any experiences and thoughts would be appreciated.
smile.gif

trendybraincell

Visit site
I think you have to use what works for the individual horse!!

Personally I love my NS Team Up bit. The Welsh Cob loves it, he works beautifully in it so in that respect yes it was worth the money.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I have a neue schele bit for my mare, i choose it because of she has poor mouth conformation. by that i mean she has a very small mouth with a very big tongue, making it normal bits uncomfortable. i used horse bit shop to tried a couple of neue schele bits before settling on the one that worked best for her.

for my mare they work much better than normal bits and you do notice the difference.

monkeybum13

Visit site
It all depends on the horse.
I have a loose ring with lozenge which is basically a ns without the salox metal. My friends horse was in a french link loose ring and she changed to a ns and the horse didn't like it so she's back to the "traditional" french link loose ring.

eggs

Visit site
Really like the Neue Schule and Sprenger bits with the central lozenge on my horses. Only one doesn't like them and he is in an eggbut Happy Mouth.

The NS are quite a bit cheaper and Hilary is very helpful.

Booboos

Visit site
I am coming around to thinking that the bit makes a huge difference.

I tried a NS Demi Anky by accident (forgot my bridle and borrowed one with this bit on) and R absolutely loved it. Changed his way of going.

Then C started getting his tongue over the bit and flipping it back under all the time, so tried the Sprenger Turnado and problem solved!

I about to give NS a call tomorrow about the new Salop which is supposed to help with horses that play with/come behind the bit for F.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to use what works for the individual horse!!

[/ QUOTE ]

^^this. And they are like any other bits, some horses will not get on with them. I ride my mare in a KK but she only likes the one without the angled losenge, doesn't get on with the KK ultra.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Agree with the above posts, depends on each horse. I have found that my strong cob loves his kk ultra and is much lighter in the hand with it x

Dottie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies
smile.gif

I have just been on the Neue Schule website, and now i'm even more confused!
blush.gif

Probably some more numpty questions.....

How do you know what bit to use? Starter bits? Team up? What are the difference? And how do you know what diameter to use?

I know it will be trial and error, so is there anyway to try the bits before buying (bit banks?) as i imagine it would get rather expensive!

And are the sizes the same, such as if your horse usually wears a 5'1/2'' a NS will still fit?

Thank you!
smile.gif

Janette

Visit site
My cob has a small mouth and an enormous tongue. she goes best in the NS Verbindend, because of the way it's shaped. It fits around her tongue without occupying too much space in her mouth. She listens to me now, rather than fussing her mouth and setting her jaw.

She hates standard French Links, because the middle link has lobes which dig into her tongue, lozenges lie much better.

ETA - If you are confused, ring then up. Heather is lovely to talk to, also, the website ( www.horsebitbank.com ) is very helpful as well. they reply to email and are great to chat to as well.

Dottie

Visit site
Thanks.

I think i will give her a ring. I presume that you pay for the bit and exchange them until you find the one that suits the horse?