nuumed numnahs? worth it? or any other recommendations?

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
Hi,

i'm on a budget... but looking for a nice, soft, padded numnah for my sensitive/cold backed horse (back has been checked) preferably sheepskin type one?

it's to be used in conjenction with a rear riser (prolite?). i originally started looking at sheepskin half pads, but then worried that a rear riser, numnah and half pad would be a bit too much and i might feel like i was riding a 18.3hh....
tongue.gif

the nuumeds look ok... don't they? but are they any good? i don't want to spend LOADS as i'm on a budget and this is only a temp solution until horse's condition is back...
oh god, just seen that nuumeds are £75... anyone know of anything cheaper?!?!
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I love numeds. Always manage to get them on sale at various places, and buy one every time I see them cheap enough.

You can get the cotton and sheepskin ones for much less than £75.

Vizslak

Visit site
unfortunately for ur bank balance, yes, they r worth it! sorry not found a cheaper alternative worth using really
frown.gif

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
ok... i'm now looking on ebay at nuumeds... and am ever so slightly overwhelmed by choice...!

does anyone has the full fluffy one (sorry, can't think of the real name) with fluffy stuff all over the bottom? are they ok? or too chunky? i think my horse would like one of them....!

my husband is looking disapprovingly over my shoulder... he just said 'you've already got one of those things'...

rlhnlk

Visit site
I didn't like my nuumed. The sheepskin went quite hard and rubbed her. I like the le mieux ones. I've had mine well over a year now and it's still lovely and fluffy and soft.

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
Shires do a cheep sheepskin for about £20 but you only get what you pay for, I had a nu-med for about five years always washed very nice and used to fluff it up with a wire pet brush. Sold the saddle which it fitted and still sold the nu-med for £25 so more than paid for its self, Got a Mattes one now but again more expensive than the nu-med but lovly quality.

summertoots

Visit site
I love the numed high wither half lined ones, only thing I will use on my horse. had some four years now and they are like new if washed after a couple of uses and fluffed up..I use my main and tail brush to fluff it. Use a Mattes on one of the others I look after and even though I wash it with my mumed I think it is a bit hard now, doesn't rub her though.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've had my nuumeds for years, they certainly last well and I think they are easier to look after than sheepskin numnahs with the skin still attached! If you shop around, you should get one for much less than £75.

I usually wash mine in normal detergent but it feels much nicer (and would probably last longer) if you use the proper stuff for washing wool. I fluff mine up with a velcro cleaning brush but any stiff brush would do.

eggs

Visit site
Have had a numed (half lined) numnah for years and it is still going strong. However I use the Le Mieux half pad (with no numnah) on my dressage horse and it is fab. He has a problem with his back and this seems to be the one he is happiest in.
I was told to slather it in hair conditioner before washing it and it comes up like new each time.