O.K. your nominations for:they ride like farmers but still win!

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
A spin off thread from the Ace Riders theme - who do you think rides like a cossack but still manages to get their horse to co-operate by winning stuff!

My first choice would be old Harvey Smith ( and I know what he'd think of my nominating him! haha) he must have ridden at 14st or more but won over vast fences that little people struggled to clear.

Lester Piggot in Racing - if you had more money than sense or good taste and wanted a competitive horse to win - he'd thrash it over the line for you - sadly.

Christine Stooookleyburger - saw her practise many a time on that fabulous Granat and could see her canter aid from the other side!!! Hahah.

Visit site
Geoff Billington - its not pretty but certainly effective

I love Geoff! I watched him in a jump off at the Highland Show a few years ago. The final 3 fences were 2 big uprights at a right angle to each other right next to each other and then a long gallop down to a huge oxer. All the youngsters cantered sedately down to the first upright, socked their horses in the mouth, popped the fence then did a big loop to get to the next one. Then had 3-4 strides of extended canter before collecting up again 4 strides before the last. Geoff comes in, bombs down to the 3rd last, spins his horse in a 6pence pops the next upright then absolutely cannons down to the last arms and legs flapping - take 8 strides where everyone else was 11-12 and flies the last like it was a national hunt chase fence! Needless to day he won but all I can describe it as was a Christmas Pudding on a horse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yes ! her horse I think was, Tuetin or similar. Why can I remember this and not remember something important from yesterday !!

She definitely rode a Tutein - rein broke half way round the hickstead derby once. She rather sprang to my mind too - her legs seemed to defy the laws of physics at times!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Another who immediately thought of Geoff, he is not tidy by any means, but it's clear that he trains them well and rides effectively. He's a great character too, I love him. Have seen a couple of demo's of him, one with Oliver Townsend.. really enjoyable. I think there is a video of it on Youtube, well worth a watch.

Batgirl

Visit site
I have no idea of his name but a few years ago there was a European SJer in the Hickstead Speed class who was in some sort of Military uniform, he rode longer than most peoples dressage length and looked to be having a whale of a time but I couldn't help thinking had he just nicked a horse and gone for a gallop, all over the place!

Rollin

Visit site
So old I cannot remember?? The SJ who won King George V on Uncle Max - how I loved that crazy rocking horse.

As for Lester, he was indeed a rough and unkind rider. BUT a tall man with beautiful balance in the saddle, I could not fault his riding just his aggression.

Annagain

Visit site
I wouldn't really call him messy but Jock Paget's XC position always looks odd to me - he leans so far forward with such a rounded back that I can't understand how he doesn't get front of the movement and thrown off at the slightest mishap.