O/T but any guinea pig owners out there? need help worming!

SNORKEY

Visit site
This is a bit yuk, so dont read if you have just had dinner!
Anyway, one of my guinea pigs has been getting thin, I thought it was his age, he's 5 now. When clipping his nails, I saw he had a smelly bum and I pulled what looks like a tape worm out, bluuuur!
Ive looked all over the internet and I cant find guinea pig wormer, anyone else wormed their GP's before?

3Beasties

Visit site
Yuck
crazy.gif

I have owned quite a few GP's but have never wormed them, that could be me being a bad, bad owner though
shocked.gif
blush.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
Yeah you can get GP wormer- ours is one that all Gp' and Rabbits use and its herbal- cant remember what its called but we get it from the countrywide stores. About £4

monkeybum13

Visit site
never wormed GPs before
you could always ring your vet tomorrow to find out more info
if you're worried about weight loss feed vegetable flavour baby food, it helps them to gain weight easily and can be syringed into mouth easily if needed

competitiondiva

Visit site
No not a bad owner, its not something that is routinely suggested, I've never known one have them, with regards to treatment I'd call and speak to a vet, guinea pigs are treated with ivermectin injections for skin mites which may well do worms too? Otherwise panacur do a rabbit womer which maybe suitable for guinea pigs but again speak to your vet.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Thanks guys, ive seen the natural one, but does it kill worms or just prevent them? and im not sure if my guinea pigs will eat them, they never eat the treats I buy, they only love fresh stuff. My partner reminded me that our horrible cats have gone in their cadge before and poo'd in the middle of the night (they have an open cadge in the utility!) so im wondering if they've passed them on to them, even though they are wormed anyway!
Il phone the vets tomorrow and see what they say.

Puppy

Visit site
You would be better off posting a non horsey topic like this in soapbox, the non horsey part of the forum, as you will get more helpful responses. Hope your gigglepig is ok.
smile.gif

shellonabeach

Visit site
Have a look on the Guinea Lynx forums. GPigs are usually wormed with Ivermectin.

My pigs are routinely wormed, I take them to the Cambridge Cavy Trust every 3 months to be done.

Sorry I can't be of more help but def take a look at the Guinea Pig forums.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Are you sure it was a worm and not maggots from fly strike? It would be worth washing your piggies bum gently but thoroughly just in case. If you do worm, be very careful to get dosage right if your piggie has lost weight recently.