Odd horse names.....

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Speaking of odd names I want a dog or horse called Gadget.

"Go gadget go!" :)

There's a pic of a pup in All About Dogs, who is called Gadget :D :p

Just remembering being out for a hack and a man and his little girl/two kids (can't remember :eek: :p) asked to pet the horses and what their names were, and I replied 'Rinaldo and Donatella' and they just looked incredibly confused :p think they were expecting Daisy and Dobbin or something.

Once was lost

Visit site
At one of the yards I work at we have a Gemma, Harry (was called Martin but was changed on his arrival), Simon (came from the same person as Harry/Martin, think they may have a thing about mens names lol!), Abu, Sid and there was also Popcorn.
Our pony is Scruff, I don't know if he got the name because of his nature or if he is simply living up to the name but I have never known such a determinedly scruffy pony!
I named a foal Tico, show name The Hit Man after the Bon Jovi drummer!
I have also had ponies called Chocolate, Lucy and Legs (although legs was a nickname that stuck).
I could probably go on forever and at the end of the day, one persons odd name is anothers perfect name, to me, all of the above horses and ponies could be called nothing other then they are!

Last edited:

whisp&willow

Visit site
ha ha! good thread!

i used to ride a horse called "HGV" at uni! lovely boy- but truly an HGV!! :D

i knew a Biddy (we use "biddy" to describe wee old ladies!), a gonzo!, a custard.

cant think of any more at the moment...!

eta: oh and a "furbee"! we did not get on! :D and a pony called buck! he was ace! :D

rubysmum

Visit site
graham - just wrong on every level
a friend has a horse called Muff - she keeps her at a very camp yard where the YOs take great delight in texting her to tell her that they have "given her muff a good goiing over" etc etc
we have an ex army horse at our yard called diddly squat

muddygreymare

Visit site
Fish
Chips
Moth
I know someone who knows a horse called Trilby too, his mum had a hat-themed name too but I can't remember it.
I also know someone who tried out a gelding called Baby...
:D

leah_x

Visit site
Cowslip & Bucket are right up there with the stupidest names I've ever heard...
Its literally like someone had just looked around to see what was going on as the foal was born. "There's a bucket over there...that'll do!"

Joeyjojo

Visit site
When looking for horses last year I came across some bizarre names, the worst was on a dealer website, horse was called Flange (never actually visited, couldn't own a horse called that!)

The_snoopster

Visit site
I bought my mare with the name Snoopy, cannot understand why anyone would call a mare a boy dogs name ?
I also own a coloured pony called Baby Stag ? also bought with the name

Archangel

Normal, 10 cats ago
Visit site
I knew a Puck, he was a childs pony and the name was changed because people kept thinking
the kid was yelling ":eek:uck".

snoopyinfrance

Visit site
Mr FB (short for Fat B*stard)

Motty big Botty (my current horse) really called Marmotte de Neuville but she has a huge bum!

Dou Dou - that's a childs comforter in France

Hirondelle - french for Swift (and she was)

Rude Boy - and he WAS!

Hemir (prince) de la Giclai (where he was born). Sometimes gets called Hemir de la Git Face or Hemir de la Fancy Pants dependant on which head he has on!

My sister's horse was called Filly all her life.

A friend's horse was called Twinny because she was one, but her twin died at birth.

Waddle - real name Question of Sport but he 'waddled' so it stuck!

I also met a man with a caravan being towed by 2 huge 'chevaux de trait' who were called Pomme and Carotte. They were apple and carrot coloured too, bless them!

I went to try out a couple of ponies when I was younger and was told the names of them were Exorcet and Cruise. They were actually Nancy and Seline (I prefered the missile names)

My daughter used to ride a black pony called Piglet.

Thanks. That brought back some memories!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
No Tale to Tell ............ dangers of tail - bandaging by idiots!
Mind the Gate ................ horse with crook leg
Crackrattle .. yes he was a nutter, but why brand him for ever?
Star ...... nice pony with a big blaze!

Persephone

Visit site
When looking for horses last year I came across some bizarre names, the worst was on a dealer website, horse was called Flange (never actually visited, couldn't own a horse called that!)

^^I saw that too!^^

I had one called Bunny.

The present horse is called Tegan, I can't get my head around that at all!

wattamus

Visit site
i think i know the riding school horses you are talking about :p I loved Mr T (if he's the same one!)
is this him??
mrt.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! as if we went to the same riding school! :p

PolarSkye

Visit site
Friend of mine has a horse called Hippo . . . and another has one called Cuddles . . . and lastly yet another friend has a huuuuuge shire/something cross (coloured) called Sexy.

P

Last edited:

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
As a slight follow on from another thread. What are the oddest names you have come across whilst having horses? Mr T., Mctavish, Duck, Shequila, Chubby Brown, Peggy, Tonka these are the ones that stick out at me mainly riding school horses :D

Tonka is not a weird name to me there was a book I read when younger about a young Indian and his horse and the horse was called Tonka.