Odd horse names.....

Annagain

Visit site
I was taking entries at my riding club show. Someone entered a horse called Geoff....and got very annoyed when I spelt it Jeff. WTF? As if that's the thing to care about when your horse is called Geoff!

Clannad48

Visit site
My friend used to have a big ISH cross callled BigIsh -

We went to look at a horse that we were considering buying, I asked the owner it's name, she said Up To You, I said great we can call her what we like, No she said it's Up To You, ok I said and turned to my daughter and said what do you think we should call it...... Daughter rolls eyes and said MUM it's name is Up To You !!!!!!!

very embarrased mum walked away whilst owner and my daughter collapsed laughing.

Our current grey mare was originally named Sunshine - weird name for a grey I think

Ibblebibble

Visit site
my mares stable name on her passport is Michelle:eek: some human names suit horses but not michelle:rolleyes: thankfully she's always been called shellee :D

My friend has one called Nobby , he is , lol:D another friend had a TBx shire called Mouse:rolleyes:

TicTac

Visit site
I had a pony called Boots and named so because his legs were permanently muddy in the winter making him look like he was wearing some.

I've also had a horse called Ataboy, I never liked that name so I gave him the stable name of Alby.

I've also had a pony called pod!

I*HM

Visit site
Some of these names seem fairly average to me :eek:
Alvin has been called 'Ivan' at a show, surely they knew they'd made a mistake?

I knew two ponies called Pinky and the Brain, Pinky was previously Fugly Pony (gangly blued cream) and Brain became Squishy Pony because Brain is no name for a pony!

I know three "Grey Mare"s, one who's real name is Sushi.
My last pony was called Pudding by her previous owner, though she became Banshee.

Fun Foals

Visit site
I worked at a stud and we had a mare come in called Fluffy, Big strong tb, i thought it was a stable name but she was registered Fluffy.
We also had a little mare called Snuff.

Have had a few strange ones. Plus we nickname the foals and they can get strange.

duckling

www.facebook.com
Again, all from riding schools - Jill, Cilla, Gad, TV, Doris, Basher, Malcolm, Darius, and my favourite, Trauma :D

My friend has a 'Frank'.

At the RS I worked at they were all pretty standard I think...we had a Rambo, Othello, Dingo, Outlaw, Pip, Hercules, Lightning (who had a foal named Thunder), Magic, Tia, Jester, Wings, Sherry, Zara, Bonnie, Darcy, Barney, Jazz, Quintz...all bar a couple no longer with us and replaced by more unusual names IMO with the likes of Super Ted and Candy and Bilbo - not the best name for children to pronounce wrongly!! Lol

I've had a lot of literary based names which I think are lovely.

Ahhh, Tanglewood :)

I rode there a bit whilst at uni, did friendly comps in my first year. Ding was my favourite, I won once purely because he bucked the other three competitors off ;) :D Great horse! Herc was cool too. Did have to do dressage on Zara once, that was a bit embarrassing!

Last edited:

OFG

Visit site
I have a Reg.

He grows a grey tash in the winter which curls up either side his top lip

My friend says he reminds her of Reginold Perrin :rolleyes:

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Used to know a Handsome (18hh grey Shire, in fairness he lived upto it!), Tiny (the Clydesdale), Spud, Kitty...

Current boy is called Rodney - get a few weird looks about that one (what, Rodney Trotter?!).

horsedreams

Visit site
we named our youngster Worzel--wish we hadn't now he changes his head most days

we also have a Madge,Chloe,Ruby,Joe and George --though not that unsual to a Worzel