Of course the baler broke!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Arrggghh

This year we have made lots of perfect hay. The weather has been exactly right. The mowing and turning bits have all gone great. It was to be baled at lunch time as it’s so hot and it’s ready so I hadn’t wanted to bake it any further. The bloody baler, which was serviced ready to go just a few weeks ago has died :(
Poor OH and baler driver have been out in 31 degrees trying to repair it for hours on the last Sunday before harvest and so the last day off for months.
Luckily a contractor they work alongside a bit locally has a baler free from now so they have only just started.
Some got baled but badly and is going to need redoing which means they will be pretty bad I’d imagine.
What a nightmare!
Big up poor farmers! Air con cabs are great til you have a breakdown

Brownmare

Visit site
Nightmare! But if it's any consolation I have heard of a scary number of hay fires this year from hay being baled and stacked too soon so maybe it's a good thing? Silver linings and all that!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
?‍♀️ It got worse! The baler got stuck a long way down a single track road due to a parked car! So what OH meant with “just started” was on its way but stuck.
It’s just arrived. We can’t leave it til tomorrow as the machines and men are too busy with proper farming!
It’s still 27 d so hopefully can get it while it’s still bone dry and not dewy.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Nightmare! But if it's any consolation I have heard of a scary number of hay fires this year from hay being baled and stacked too soon so maybe it's a good thing? Silver linings and all that!
They are super careful about probing them and making sure of that so ?
Ours hasn't even been cut yet! Was meant to be Wednesday but farmer didn't turn up and we are yet to hear anything. It's out first time making any and seems like quite a faff if I am honest. I might be better to stick with buying it!
If you can afford it do ?
I swear every year since we started this it’s never been straight forward

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
fingers crossed for you. going to be a long night!

it's the most horrible job isn't it. you are pleading for good weather and then when it arrives it makes for appalling working conditions.

OH was outside till midnight in the torrential rain last week fixing the tractor ready for haymaking... these things never happen on a nice sort of 16 degree overcast day :rolleyes:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve just been down and sadly not holding out much hope.
The ground is damp already and some, not all bales are probing too high.
The bales are also incredibly tight so I’m a bit worried it’s going to end up like cardboard, gutting after it looking so good til today.
OH is just going round finding the best ones as it’s not all for me! (The other guy has cattle so will be fine)

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you. Every year we have a break down as we use very old kit. So far there's just a flat tyre to be fixed. We always run out of wrap and have to make a special trip for one more roll. All good fun though !

minesadouble

Visit site
The lads are currently unloading 2,500 perfect small bales from trailers this morning before cracking on baling and leading more this afternoon ?
It has been perfect haymaking weather here.
Sorry for everyone suffering machinery breakdowns, it's so stressful, I feel for you all.

Berpisc

Visit site
We don't bale hay any more, farm is on a contract. I feel for you all though because it is the worst time, hay being the least flexible of crops to deal with. And the machinery which has to work like hell for a short part of the year and then sit idle which is possibly the worst thing a machine can do...
I still obsess about the weather as a hangover from haymaking times.

Maryann

Visit site
Went to stack friend's small bales in a tall airless tin shed yesterday. Car said it was 32 degrees. Baling man was expecting 500 + bales. In the event the baler fell apart at bale 6. They are now doing big bales and stacking them with a teleloader. I did not vandalise the baler - although I might if I had thought of it.

Dales Diva

Visit site
Our hay is good to bale and now the bloody tractor has broken down - major breakdown !! We are going to try and get another from somewhere. Girls at work have a romantic notion about haymaking and cider drinking and picnics. I tell them them it's bloody hard , hot, back breaking work and very stressful. Good luck to us all x

All

Visit site
its not farming unless something is either broken or held together with baler twine

i love it its what keeps me in a job