Off to Wales to try again next week.

Nicnac

Visit site
Argh, stuck on M25 for 3 hours !
Saw the place in Brecon today, sadly not for us.
Onwards and upwards for next search :)

Horse(s) loose on M23 caused chaos today. Luckily it's been caught. Long journey for one property - as you say onwards and upwards and plenty more fish in the sea etc etc.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Both nice but just over our budget, we are selling our house for a lot lower price as it needs a lot of work which I simply don't have the time or money to do.
The stress for my elderly mum would be too much to have this house brought up to a decent level to sell it for top price (between 280-320k) or that's what I have seen for this road.
So, we have to set our sights a lot lower,there are places out there, just have to find it.
Yesterday's one was this one
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53864588.html

when I get there (200 miles) I am shown round and then asked, didn't the estate agent tell you we've had an offer (which I understand they are accepting)
No, no one told me, as well as to be told the 2 acres aren't included but are extra which it DOES NOT state in the listing.
Was not a happy bunny yesterday and then getting stuck on M25 was last straw, started the day so happy too!
I've emailed the agent and they are left in no doubt how fed up I was.
Won't be looking at any of their properties ever again no matter how nice it looks.
PS that workshop in pic 8 makes yesterdays tin shack called a workshop look like a palace

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Hi Cremedementhe, I think we must be looking at the same properties, we're planning to move to Wales too, with about the same budget as yours. Frustrating innit? We went to look at 3 last weekend, one was too small, one was too wet (I mean inside the house). And could we find the third one? Could we hell. An hour and a half of driving round a village, no phone signal, hardly any fuel left in the car and nearly a divorce later we had to abandon the search, when we finally got home and looked at the OS map the house was nowhere near where the details stated. Argh!!

Maybe we should exchange a list of Houses Not to Bother With?

Having said that we are still waiting for an offer on our house despite loads of viewings since May. 'Any minute now'...says our estate agent. Humph!

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Yes I agree!
Why can't some estate agents just be honest with us?
I found one with over 4 acres and a 2 bed self contained annexe with it, so loads of land for dogs, chickens and us to grow food as well as sorting out a large saddlery workshop all for £207k great but I ran it past my surveyor and this is what he said!
" the cottage looks as if a fair amount of work will be needed. There are certainly some damp issues visible and I have a feeling the photographs are flattering what is a dated cottage in need of updating"

He hit the nail right on the head, it is dated but the damp just finished it for us.
It's also on the main coastal road to Cardigan which we'd put up with considering the amount of land with it.

I want to go back this Weds/Thurs but only have one to look at at the mo so may delay until next week.
The map and street view on the estate agents sites are very inaccurate as the postcode can cover up to 80 addresses!
Always go in to google maps and search it out on there, go down to street level and try to match picture to house on estate agent's site if no street view available as in some remote areas, use the satellite view on estate agent's site as it allows you to go lower than google maps, it's often like searching for the needle in the haystack but sat navs simply won't always take you to the right address.
When are you up there next?
Maybe team up !

Last edited:

Tackytoe

Visit site
Cremedemonth...... How big do you need your workshop to be?

Wondering if any we've viewed may suit as were looking for similar and have viewed oooodles!!

Settled on a less remote location with more land and less outbuildings, compromise that far suits my other half than me....x

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Cremedemonth...... How big do you need your workshop to be?

Wondering if any we've viewed may suit as were looking for similar and have viewed oooodles!!

Settled on a less remote location with more land and less outbuildings, compromise that far suits my other half than me....x

About 24 foot x 15 foot minimum, needs to be dry, vermin free, and able to be heated, the sort of building you could live in is the best way to describe it, either wooden or brick.
I need to be able to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter, leather's best temperature is 56 degrees F

Oz :)

mightymammoth

Visit site
oz, what's been the best way you have found places? Which websites? Like you I'm looking for somewhere but from afar! My area is a bit different to yours I think. Ammaford to Merthyr along the bottom of the brecon beacons.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
oz, what's been the best way you have found places? Which websites? Like you I'm looking for somewhere but from afar! My area is a bit different to yours I think. Ammaford to Merthyr along the bottom of the brecon beacons.

I use mainly rightmove and primelocation but being so far away, as soon as I see a good one and organise a visit, it's snapped up!
I had my eye on one with 4.24 acres, a self contained 2 bedroom annexe attached to a 4 bed cottage, loads of parking, large garden to grow food and run chickens, 2 large paddocks for hay and dog's to gallop around in all for £207, 500 !
It has some damp issues by the looks of it but maybe nothing too drastic, but it went!
I passed near Merthyr scooting up to Brecon, nice area but not one I know well.
I'm going up towards Gloucester on Thursday and over the top of the Beacons and down to Rhayader that way, hopefully it will avoid some of the traffic snarl up near the Severn which is the way I mostly go.
Oz

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Rhayader is quite a bit north of both Brecon Beacons and Gloucester - you might be better going to Leominster and across on the A44?

I'd also try some of the Valleys areas too. Prices tend to be a bit cheaper there and it's not all mining towns and terraced houses! There's some lovely forestry north of Bridgend and Port Talbot (Maesteg / Margam area) which I'm most familiar with but generally most of the Valleys towns give way to lovely countryside (some reclaimed from mining) within a mile or two.

Annagain

Visit site

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Rhayader is quite a bit north of both Brecon Beacons and Gloucester - you might be better going to Leominster and across on the A44?

I'd also try some of the Valleys areas too. Prices tend to be a bit cheaper there and it's not all mining towns and terraced houses! There's some lovely forestry north of Bridgend and Port Talbot (Maesteg / Margam area) which I'm most familiar with but generally most of the Valleys towns give way to lovely countryside (some reclaimed from mining) within a mile or two.

Thanks, will be working my route out tomorrow. The properties you have shown me, some are great but out of our price range, we sold our house at a knock down price (£220k) as it needs so much work and Mum now is too old to be going through refurbishments.
We therefore have around that figure to play which ,which isn't much at all but I have seen some great properties with land and outbuildings, it's just being in the right place at the right time to go and see them.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions, Oz :)

npage123

Visit site
closer to swansea than powys

buhttp://www.ctf-uk.com/ipm/properties/property_details.php?ref=PRF10627&tratyp=Resale&location=minprice&=&maxprice=&minbedrooms=&maxbedrooms=&branch=t

it's got a double garage for the sadderly and enclosed garden for dogs
are you looking at detached houses/bungalows only or considering end of terraced/semi-attached too?

cremedemonthe

Visit site
closer to swansea than powys

buhttp://www.ctf-uk.com/ipm/properties/property_details.php?ref=PRF10627&tratyp=Resale&location=minprice&=&maxprice=&minbedrooms=&maxbedrooms=&branch=t

it's got a double garage for the sadderly and enclosed garden for dogs
are you looking at detached houses/bungalows only or considering end of terraced/semi-attached too?

Thanks, what we are after is a 3 bed, detached, no near neighbours, level plot, 1-2 acres of ground (for dogs and chickens to roam and we like self sufficiency, to be able to grow our own food as much as poss), outbuildings IF poss for Saddlery workshop but not essential if property ticks all the other boxes as I can build one. A lot to find in one place I know but I have seen them, just missed a few good ones in terms of viewing unfortunately, Oz

cremedemonthe

Visit site
2 properties seen when we went up both in Pant-Y-Dwr, Rhayader
First property was not really good for my elderly Mum, tree stumps left in lawn that I nearly tripped over, so she would too.The large amount of pine trees in the garden made it quite dark, garden was 7/8ths of an acre, all shrubs and trees with a bit of lawn. A very thin long strip rather than a wide lawn, no wider than 25 -30 feet wide. Owner said they have had 150 pine trees cut down over the last 3 years and it still looked like they needed loads more removing
Garden was quite sloped which we could cope with if needs be but high steps at rear meant Mum would struggle down them. No where level for a workshop, no good outbuildings just old sheds.
Inside was warm but didn't like the storage heaters, too expensive to run. Needed gutting and doing up as dated, no problem with that though as I can do most of that.
Not much parking either, we ended up parked on the road.
AND I heard a bird scarer (gas gun) as I got out of the car in the field opposite which is a No No with our noise phobic dog!
We are plagued by them here on surrounding farms as well as fireworks every night so we don't want any bird scarers near us if possible.
Kitchen smaller than in photos, metal windows and very bad EER rating (11) so virtually no insulation.
Didn't get to see one room as Son was asleep in it as he was on night shift.
Owner friendly and honest.

Second property didn't look anything like the photos, over grown and rotting on the outside and the description of "parking for several vehicles" is a lie, only one unless you could park in the drive that runs down to the farm, which you need to keep clear for farm vehicles.
Only level land for a workshop was to the side of the house but under tons of over grown trees which aren't in the photos.
Very open and exposed so very windy, the first property in comparison which was only a mile away from this one had no wind at all.
The "land" was a large field at the back,currently grazed by Rams, it was VERY steep, and the farmer who owns the property said that he'd sold the corner strip of the field to the new neighbour next door who was building a new workshop on his land next to the house which we could see from our side(the land sold to him from the field had an agreement that he wouldn't build any large structures on it) BUT alarm bells started ringing when he said man next door sells motorbikes, the workshop he was building was quite big and I had the feeling he would have these bikes there and bikes as you know can make lots of noise!
I know as I held an ACU racing licence raced off road on one or two!
I love bikes, I have one, but not when they are next door being revved up.
The land he had bought off the farmer that would be right up against the field we would own and I suspect would be used to try the off road bikes out up and down, could be wrong but NO thanks .
The house was nice BUT again NOT as in the photos, boxes everywhere covering walls so you couldn't see everywhere or everything, the hob was going rusty where you put the pans on top and the outside of the property needed finishing off, all the yellow hard foam that is put in when you install uPVC windows was showing and had been for a few years by the looks of it.Cracks in wall everywhere, chimneys need re pointing etc.
So no to both of them, unless you go up there to look you just can't tell can you!
I have since seen a few more with land that my friend in Pentrecwrt is going to look at next week for me, she knows our needs and if she thinks it might be suitable then I will go back up.
Will get there eventually!
Just wish estate agents would not use flattering wide angled lenses when taking photos or give very flattering descriptions of properties that don't deserve it.
Oz

Last edited:

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Waiting for letter of acceptance of our offer to arrive, not getting our hopes up until that's here and we can get the ball rolling.
Place has got 2 large workshops to keep me happy,views from the back of the property to die for and 2 acres of land.
Once/if it's finalised I'll post photos, just don't want to jinx it jumping the gun and posting pictures!
Thanks for everyone's input, Oz :)