oh dear - i don't think we'll be hunting...

lovecharles

Visit site
So i went to the Atherstone Pleasure ride on saturday :S

He was very fresh in the morning but seemed fairly settled when we arrived. We set off (alone) but he could see 2 horses ahead and was being a complete pig. he was rearing, bucking, generally prancin gup the road. I kept calm and he seemed to settle a little bit as we left the road. I took him down a differant route for a bit so he could calm on his own.

It worked and we carried on the set route nicely and calmly. I began enjoying myself and we had a nice calm trot. Then, on the next bit of road, a big group, maybe 8 or 10 horses came trotting up behind. It was quite obvious that Charlie was upset about this and began messing about. I started to panic thinking he was going to hurt another horse, and everyone began to get annoyed. I kept apolagising and saying to walk round us, but instead 2 trotted past telling me I couldn't ride.
frown.gif

One of the ladies (a nice one) told me to stay calm and ride him forwards as he kept spinning and bucking. I have never seen him like this before and was quite scared and it didn't help that people kept saying horrid things.

I decided it was getting dangerous, pulled him off onto a drive jumped off and called dad to fetch us. I was so disapointed in myself for not carrying on but the more i thought about it, the more i think i did the right thing. We could have been hurt, or hurt someone else. Apart from the rude people, everyone else was very kind and asked if they could do anything.

Thay must've thought i was a right idiot - stood there, tears rolling down my face, trying to hold onto a ginger idiot who was flipping about, sweating buckets and squealing at the other horses.
crazy.gif

I guess i'll have to put it down to experiance...
smirk.gif

BSJAlove

Visit site
i would have gone after those women and given them a piece of my mind!!! dont listen to them a) because your horse was freaked out. every horse is scared of something and it does NOT make you a bad rider when he does freak out and b) they obviously have no idea or either no heart to trot past you when you were quite clearly having a tough time. they are simply stupid people
smile.gif
well done for going though! and you did do the right thing.

3Beasties

Visit site
Oh no! It sounds like it wasn't a great experience for either off you
frown.gif

My TB was a bit like that when I took him on his 1st fun ride, he hated seeing anyone ahead off him and got excited about people passing. He did start to settle slightly in between though.

I went on another fun ride a couple of months ago and he was a lot better but then I think that was because there were less horses there to excite him.

Can you get a friend to go with you mounted so that he has some company? It might help him settle a bit.

Don't get yourself down about it, there are plenty of horses out there that can't cope with the excitement of a fun ride!
laugh.gif

lovecharles

Visit site
thank you for all your kind comments! I think my dad was worried i'd lost some confidence but it'll take more than that! I did ask around before we went (posted on here, emailed a few horsey friends) to ride with but didn't end up going with anyone. to be honest i hardly know anyone who rides near me! i also hack out alone.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
ok 1) ignore the bitter foul mouthed hags! they are just saying things to try to make themselves feel better! (silly sad women!)
2) yup experience it is! next time (as others say) go with a friend (preferably from the yard, who your horse gets on with) and that way teamwork will work you through it! (and also give you back up for the next foul mouthed cow heading your way!
grin.gif
)

dont give up keep going!

Flame_

Visit site
Bless you, I used to have a ginger idiot and I totally sympathise. Have you done other rides? Is he better with a friend? Was it with an endurance group or a one-off fun ride? I find fun rides with jumping a bit chaotic and unless you want to join in the jumping and tear-arsing across open fields it can be hard work keeping your horse settled as so many people are charging about.

Can you go on a couple of open-all-the-time farm rides to get your confidence back? I don't know where you're based but places like Somerford Park during the week are great for introducing your horse to these rides.

Don't worry about people's comments, I guarantee at some point they'll find themselves out of their depth in a situation with a horse and need passing strangers to show some consideration and just help out a bit.

Flame_

Visit site
Just seen you're in Derbyshire, I do rides round there on my own if you ever want a friend, my horse isn't always the most sensible though!
grin.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
Just another though....

Do you ever take your horse out in the trailer to go for a ride away from the yard? It might be worth doing a few trips out just to get him used to it without the chaos of other riders when doing a fun ride!

Also maybe try XC schooling, you would be in a more controlled environment and on 'new territory'. There would be a few new horse going around and it might just help him get used to it. You don't have to jump but could just find an area to school in!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Aw hun. Of course you can ride - you stayed on the horse and the horse didn't bob off! So well done
grin.gif

Stupid women. Sometimes I wonder what it's all coming to when a commone love, one that should cause a bond amongst us, somehow manages to have people be such b!tches
frown.gif
mad.gif

What part of Derbyshire are you?

Pedantic

Visit site
Bless you, dont let the other peoples disgusting manners
mad.gif
upset you, Iv'e had similar experiences with my beast, but 5 years on we are doing fine and things I never thought possible, maybe you wont get to hunt this time, but work hard at it and give it some time and things will most likely come round for you, dont let a couple of arseholes knock your confidence
wink.gif

trundle

Visit site
I think its downright mean to trot past someone who is clearly having problems with their horse, and certainly doesnt make me impressed with THEIR standard of riding or horsemanship.

if Charlie has never been out on a ride like that before, its no wonder he got over-excited. I think you were actually very sensible to do this as a "dry run" before jumping in at the deep end with hunting. You might find that the next time he goes out, he realises it isnt all quite as exciting as he thought, and is abit more sensible.

I also agree with the suggestion of taking a more sensible horse with you, to prove to Charlie that it really ISN'T all that exciting, and that it IS possible to just plod along when asked!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Don't write off hunting just yet. My lad is an experienced and pretty well programmed hunter, done it all of his life, however he just can't cope with fun rides. I've done one "fun" ride on him and never again. Out hunting he is fine because everyone is together and he only has one group to keep up with. People out hunting tend to have better manners than on fun rides as well. On fun rides, he can't cope with people over taking, doesn't understand why some people are cantering but he is walking. Totally blew his mind and ended up with spinning, rearing, bucking, kicking, jogging and cantering on the spot, running backwards...you name it!

But, I still know that he hunts well and we'll be out cubbing again once they start.

You might be surprised with how he reacts to hunting
smile.gif

zeuscleoharmony

Visit site
Don't take a blind bit of notice of the stupid woman who commented, some people are just born bitches and don't warrant a further thought.

I think you did the right thing, getting off and calling it a day. Things probably wouldn't have got any better and could have got a whole lot worse so well done you for making the decision.

We all take knocks to our confidence, cry like babies and wonder if its all worth it. Im currently recovering from surgery after my boy had a bucking fit and off the side I went. I will be nervous when I get back in the saddle but the thought of not getting back is worse.

xxx

CobGal

Visit site
You poor love!!

I say well bloody done for getting out there and giving it a go!!!!

People say such mean things, nasty women!!

I am so sorry, but I hope it does not prevent you from trying again.
I was at a local tack shop last week and a lady in there had placed an advert looking for a hacking/show buddy - Maybe you could try that?!

xx

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Well done for even trying a fun ride - I won't do them as I really don't need some idiot tanking up behind me etc etc

Have you thought of taking him cubbing first? As CC said its very different as the 'field' stays together more and you don't have people whizzing up behind you and cubbing is a lot slower with more standing around - but a good introduction to the whole hunt thing - plus generaly more helpful and understanding than the people on your ride today.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
SU is right about people being more understanding. If you're going to go hunting, phone the Sec first and explain that you've never been before. Put a green ribbon in your horse's tail and see if you can get the Sec to introduce you to someone who will look after you. Honestly, I HATE fun rides as people are so rude but hunting people are so much nicer
smile.gif

lovecharles

Visit site
thank you to everyone for your kind words and support.

My general intentiton was to get through the ride, then go cubbing with the atherstone.

I've not had my confidence knocked - i've had so much sh!t off my horse with his behaviour on the ground (i'm sure some of you had seen previous posts) and i just feel like this is my next obsticle to tackle.

I live in south derbyshire (chellaston, aston, barrow area), near the leictershire border of Ashby-de-la-zouch (Coleorton, Lount).

I might try that advert idea. Once again, thank you for the support. I do love you HHoers and I don't know what i'd do without you cause there's no-one knowledgeable round me!