Oh gosh, where to start. Trying to buy a pony for a shy 11 year old!

PaulineW

Visit site
Bonnysmum, what age range are you considering? Must the pony hack alone? I have a semi retired highland mare, about 14hh, ex RDA, safe as houses. Doesn’t hack alone though, but 100% in traffic. Old in numbers but not in her head! I‘d consider loaning to a good home nearby while your daughter continues her lessons. I’m in Ross-shire.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A friend had a very good pony from Morrigan lease ponies.
Yes, you pay a lease hire monthly amount, but when child outgrows, you can send the pony back. Sounds heartless but it keeps children's ponies in work, they thoroughly vet homes, you dont have the faff of the perils of buying and selling.
They are on Facebook.
What a fantastic idea!

SO1

Visit site
He is a connie very popular breed in this country so you pay a premium for that, if he was not a connie would be cheaper I expect. Bucks in canter certainly not suitable for a child's 1st pony.

Wow, the UK market must be really hot. 5k GBP for this pony? Looks like a nice useful type, but at that age I think would me maximum 2 k euros here, if that.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Bit far from you OP, but this guy sounds like a dream:
http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/256167

He looks gorgeous!

Btw I had a 13.2 pony until I was 18. I was a skinny thing but tall but we still had fun. She was mine on loan so was sold on as I'd clearly outgrown her but she did me well. Sometimes I hanker after those pony days, horses are just so grown up! ?

SO1

Visit site
Problem is your budget and type of pony you are looking for is going to make this a slow process.

My 13.3 New Forest potential all rounder aged 5 was £3250 14 years ago so as you would expect prices have gone up a lot since then. The same pony would cost me double what I paid now.

If you look on horsequest school master pony section it is all wanted adverts for ponies like the sort you are after but none for sale.

I think you may need to wait until after the school holidays for the right pony with the budget you have. You will have more choice and get a better type of pony for your budget.

bonnysmum

Visit site
Bonnysmum, what age range are you considering? Must the pony hack alone? I have a semi retired highland mare, about 14hh, ex RDA, safe as houses. Doesn’t hack alone though, but 100% in traffic. Old in numbers but not in her head! I‘d consider loaning to a good home nearby while your daughter continues her lessons. I’m in Ross-shire.

Thank you for your very kind post. I'll send you a message to discuss further. ?

hollyandivy123

Visit site
popped late to the party, but another group to look at are the trec sites on face book, ponies which do trec i think would be a good option for a first pony, this involves orientation on horse back, an obstacle section, and a controlled gait section. this might also be a sport she might find interesting, less stressful and the skills she would learn would apply to other disciplines.

there are trec organisations in your area might be worth a contact,

for a first pony, focus on the temperament, its safety and less on popping round Burghley, the key is she needs to feel safe and have fun!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you want her to be able to hack alone consider ride and drive ponies, in the main they are super safe, especially but not only, in traffic. If your friend is very experienced, have a look at Dragon Driving, where the prices don't seem to be quite so high as on the more mainstream sites. Be aware thought that most advertisers on there are dealers and you do need to have your wits about you There do seem to be a reasonable number of Scottish advertisers on the site.

bonnysmum

Visit site
If you want her to be able to hack alone consider ride and drive ponies

Hacking alone doesn't matter a huge amount to me to be honest, because I don't think my daughter will be ready to hack out alone for quite some time yet and is much more likely to want to be accompanied by someone else, either on the ground or on another pony. It's simply that I've been warned off any pony that has a tendency to nap when doing so, but in all honesty if we're not going to be doing it I'm not so bothered. I also really really can't see my daughter hacking on the roads (and I wouldn't want her to, same as I'd be terrified of her cycling on any of the roads near me).

BUT, quick progress update. I've heard of a pony for sale (not yet on the open market) that could be a possibility and our instructor quite readily agreed that we could & should widen the search when I chatted to her. And of course I will message @PaulineW regarding her possible loan as well. You're all amazing. :)

bonnysmum

Visit site
please do not consider William Lowther. He advertises on Dragon Driving and FB. Sometimes also under the name Gary Hartley. He is in Fife. You may want to join the dodgy dealers pages on Facebook too.

Already done and already very aware of that name as one to avoid. (The dealer I saw on Sunday has also cropped up a few times which explains a lot about why we both felt so uncomfortable). Thank you! :)

MyBoyChe

Visit site
What a lovely offer from PaulineW, I have a highland myself, he is an absolute treasure. His only issue is his sheer size and power, too much for a slight child, although he would never intentionally harm them he might flatten them without noticing :) An older slightly smaller framed hipo would be my pony of choice for a child who needs a solid all rounder but more importantly, a friend x

Wishfilly

Visit site
This does sound like a super tough situation to be in, and I can understand why it feels so tough. I think you've learnt a lot from this thread and that's great.

I definitely think your budget will go a lot further if you look at 13.2 or smaller. I bought the pony in my avatar last autumn for £4000- he's probably the type you want for your daughter. He was sold as suiting a home as a second pony, which I think is true. He's forward, but pretty safe for a novice to ride in the school BUT he does have his moments and on the ground I think he'd get fairly tricky in an inexperienced home. He's also got a few things that would make him unpopular with some people (e.g. one blue eye).

Don't get me wrong, he's lovely, I love him to bits, but in a very inexperienced home, I could see him causing an accident.

Sellers genuinely aren't trying to be difficult when they say a pony isn't a novice ride. For a home with an inexperienced 11yo as the main rider, and inexperienced parents, you really do need a pretty saintly pony, even with the best support in the world. Most private sellers would absolutely hate to be responsible for an accident.

Do make use of all the experienced help you have available- buying in this market is not for the faint hearted!

I hope you're able to find something to suit your daughter. I know it seems a long way off, but the market may slow a little bit after the summer holidays.

honetpot

Visit site
Hacking alone doesn't matter a huge amount to me to be honest, because I don't think my daughter will be ready to hack out alone for quite some time yet and is much more likely to want to be accompanied by someone else, either on the ground or on another pony. It's simply that I've been warned off any pony that has a tendency to nap when doing so, but in all honesty if we're not going to be doing it I'm not so bothered. I also really really can't see my daughter hacking on the roads (and I wouldn't want her to, same as I'd be terrified of her cycling on any of the roads near me).

BUT, quick progress update. I've heard of a pony for sale (not yet on the open market) that could be a possibility and our instructor quite readily agreed that we could & should widen the search when I chatted to her. And of course I will message @PaulineW regarding her possible loan as well. You're all amazing. :)
Our old pony I bought from a friend, who in turn was at a wedding where the bride said in the reception line said, 'I know where there is a pony someone is thinking of selling'. In twenty years he only had three owners.

bonnysmum

Visit site
Almost breaking the forum rules here, witholding information we crave! The only permitted exception is foal-watch but that's up to the mare. I'll be watching for the exciting update, too!

Lol, the problem is a) not wanting to tempt fate and b) due to the low population where I live not wanting to say too much that would "out" me to anyone in the know who was reading!! I'll say two things, it's a 14.x and it's a loan (for now).