Ok folks....the wait is over (hopefully..!!)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok guys so here is how it's gone....(I was luckily able to attend the vetting).
Vet thinks there is currently a mild neurological disorder causing hypermetric gait in her near hind. There is slight muscle wastage on that side too. This was most obvious on the lunge, in tight circles and when being backed up. He checked her eyes several times as she felt a little bit "not all there" if you get what I mean??
She forges a little with her right hind but nothing major. The dishing of the fronts is not an issue. He feels that she possibly has a mild shiver and is concerned that this could not only be part of a bigger neurological problem but that it could get worse.
Everything else was fine and bloods have been taken.
At this point she is fit for purpose but extreme caution advised.
So now I have to make a decision based on all of that. :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh bugger. Can you get the price down low enough to make the risk worthwhile? It's not something that will cost thousands in vet fees to treat, it will be a question of PTS when it progresses too far for her to be safe to ride. And what insurance might exclude, if you are insuring.

I'd be thinking along the lines of LWVTB three months and £500-750

be positive

Visit site
She may be 'fit for purpose' but would need to be at a give away price to make me advise anyone to consider going ahead, nothing will be covered by insurance so it would be that you can either afford to investigate if she deteriorates or harden your heart and pts.
You may struggle to buy one that will pass the vet but this sounds far too much of a risk.

ihatework

Visit site
Hmmmm .... it’s the kind of situation you were always likely to find yourself in if you found the horse of the right type/temperament/age and within budget ..... a compromise on the vetting.

Has the horse been in consistent work and under the same ownership for a while? Can you get a copy of the horses vet records?

How did the owner take it? Might they take a significantly lower offer?

Thing is, if it’s just a shiver, then to be honest the horse should do your job for a number of years. ‘If’ and ‘should’ being the caveats that has a certain level of risk attached.

Personally, if it were me, I’d offer 1.5k and take the risk if they accept.

Others will tell you to run a mile 😜

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was going to say, I would ask to have the bloods tested, if she doesn't feel to be'all there', but I'm not sure there would be much point unless she had been sedated to the point where she appeared to be neurologically compromised - and what would be being hidden?

I would walk away from her, I think, as neuro problems can be dangerous. We have had 3 pts in old age because they became ataxic.
But I did know a big ID with a mild shiver who never got worse all her life.

That's a real shame, as you liked her so much. It's difficult when you don't know the vet and s/he doesn't know you, so you don't know if this vet always is pessimistic, or would normally encourage you to take a mild risk.

JJS

Visit site
Although I have no experience of her specific problem, I have far too much experience with neurological problems and how they can degenerate. Much as I hate to say it, I’d walk away, because if you’re as soft as I am, chances are you’ll end up with a very expensive field ornament at some point in the future.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
We had already agreed a price, before the vetting, of £2200. They have said they have another buyer waiting if I decide I dont want her, to be honest I've not discussed any of this with them in detail yet. I suspect they won't lower the price in any way. I also suspect I may struggle to get a return of my deposit tbh.
The vet does vettings every single day and has said that there is no reason to assume I couldn't by a sane and sound horse for that money judging by the vettings he's been doing, though he was quick to add that none of these will ever set the world on fire talent wise.
Being 100% honest with you all, I've sat and had a discussion with the vet and a friend (a few pathetic tears shed too, partly because she's a lovely mare and partly due to sheer frustration)..and my GUT feeling is that something is definitely not right.

Last edited:

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
They have to return your deposit if it did fail a vet exam... If you don’t get any joy, then mention trading standards, and how fond you are of facebook😱 and social media, sorry it didn’t work out.. Don’t take the risk, unless they will take under 1000. I do hope some other unsuspecting buyer doesn’t come along, no vet, and bang they got problems in a year or so..

eggs

Visit site
Having had a lovely mare show very mild neurological signs - originally thought she may have torn a cartilage in her stifle - that escalated very rapidly when we drove her up to Newmarket for what we thought was probably a minor op but ended up with her being pts as she went very ataxic I think you are doing the right thing. The right one is out there somewhere.

TPO

Visit site
Walk away.

You never know what's in store when you buy any horse but to buy a problem that is pretty much guaranteed to deteriorate is just setting yourself up for anguish and heartbreak.

Deposit should have been left subject to passing a vetting so they, by rights, should return it. I've only left a vetting deposit once, horse failed and owner refused to return it leaving me £100 out of pocket on top of vetting (which vet cut short and kindly only charged me for 2 stage). I guess it's your call if you wish to pursue but you can threaten them with small claims and if they have a buyer waiting then they are most definitely at all. Grrr people

But yeah my vote is to walk away.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ok guys so here is how it's gone....(I was luckily able to attend the vetting).
Vet thinks there is currently a mild neurological disorder causing hypermetric gait in her near hind. There is slight muscle wastage on that side too. This was most obvious on the lunge, in tight circles and when being backed up. He checked her eyes several times as she felt a little bit "not all there" if you get what I mean??
Oh what a shame :(
I would walk away, I have a horse that was nice to ride a lot of the time but is neurologically compromised and I know exactly what you mean when you say not all there, because that describes her to a T. She's also a super friendly very happy horse but her insurance is full of exclusions now and I don't ride her because she's a time bomb (albeit I have had enough diagnostics to know she's going to decline very slowly). There WILL be another. I would think you have a good case to ask for your deposit back, the horse is not right.

ihatework

Visit site
Well go with your gut.
The sellers won’t see the certificate or speak to the vet so just tell them his opinion was the horse had a neurological issue, most likely a shiver, but without further investigation could be definitive.

I would hope on that basis you have grounds for a deposit return (assuming you agreed it was subject to vetting), if it was just to reserve for first vetting then no you won’t

ihatework

Visit site
it seems really odd with those kinds of findings, to say the horse is suitable for what the OP wants, in anything but the short term :/

Horses all over the country with a shiver are doing far more than happy hacking. If it’s a shiver that is. Not all are equal.

It is more than possible the horse is fit for purpose.

AandK

Visit site
What a shame, but you had her vetted for a reason. Personally, I think due to the issues you have had, that walking away would be the right thing to do. Re your deposit, she was declared fit for purpose by the vet so I don't see a claim for getting it back.
I don't see why you shouldn't get something to suit within budget, but it may take some time and possibly a few more failed vettings before you do.

dixie

Visit site
Oh what a shame.
Having bought a horse that ended up with slight neurological issues (passed vetting) definitely walk away. He’s been an unrideable pet for the last 4 years.

Edited to say that he forged when I bought him too and I thought he just needed strengthening up.

Last edited: