Ok folks....the wait is over (hopefully..!!)

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Balls :(

So sorry it's not better news. It's not something I'd want to compromise on personally (not that I have any experience of neurological issues), partly because I'd be second guessing every little thing the horse did and worry how much longer she'd be 'good' for. I already stress enough as it is! The 'not all there' bit is a bit worrying :( There ARE horses out there that will pass the vetting more convincingly. I don't think that my own vet would have passed this horse by the sounds of it.

I was in your position this time last year, ended up losing my sanity trawling the sites, then had 2 failed vettings and 1 passed (but vet found something I wasn't willing to compromise on). I was throughly demoralised by the whole thing. Now I have a fab mare and all the lost time, money and sanity doesn't seem to matter! This time next year I'm sure you will be in my position, it's just a nightmare all this horse buying nonsense x

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Just to clarify....
Vet said that the vetting can only tell us the findings in the moment and at the moment she would potentially be fit for purpose, esp as she is already doing the job. BUT it's the more long term implications that concern him. He explained that he couldn't possibly say if/when/how these issues could deteriorate and that's the biggest problem. It's a big gamble to take in the long run.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry SLH, your gut feeling sounds right to me, did the vet actually pass her? if so that sounds odd if he is worried about the long term implications and her not seeming quite there is a worry. i would get the bloods tested to see if she has been buted up to pass...such a shame but she was cheap for her size and age...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had already agreed a price, before the vetting, of £2200. They have said they have another buyer waiting if I decide I dont want her, to be honest I've not discussed any of this with them in detail yet. I suspect they won't lower the price in any way. I also suspect I may struggle to get a return of my deposit tbh.
The vet does vettings every single day and has said that there is no reason to assume I couldn't by a sane and sound horse for that money judging by the vettings he's been doing, though he was quick to add that none of these will ever set the world on fire talent wise.
Being 100% honest with you all, I've sat and had a discussion with the vet and a friend (a few pathetic tears shed too, partly because she's a lovely mare and partly due to sheer frustration)..and my GUT feeling is that something is definitely not right.

Then walk away. The vet is right you should be able to find what you are looking for within your budget. If the other potential buyer wants her, she should get a good home but you won't be the one having to make difficult decisions about her within a few months. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get your deposit back. Vet says that atm she can do the job you want but thinks the neuro problems will be degenerative - why would you want to buy those problems?

little_critter

Visit site
I had a vet fail today too. First of all he found something questionable which I would have had to make a call on. Then quickly found something else that was a clear fail so at least I didn’t have to make the decision on the iffy item.
It’s a bummer but I’m back trawling through the for sale ads.
Good luck in your search.

Edited to add, if your gut says no, then go with your gut. If you go against it now you will be doubting yourself every time the horse takes an odd step or behaves differently.

Marigold4

Visit site
Then walk away. The vet is right you should be able to find what you are looking for within your budget. If the other potential buyer wants her, she should get a good home but you won't be the one having to make difficult decisions about her within a few months. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get your deposit back. Vet says that atm she can do the job you want but thinks the neuro problems will be degenerative - why would you want to buy those problems?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Crap ,
My advice would be don’t do it .
You are entitled to your deposit back .
I would call them and explain keep it polite and say how sorry you are yaadee yaadee and then say please transfer the deposit back to my account .
If they say no just say you will take them straight to the small claims court and do so , they will lose .

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Please walk away - this poor horse set alarm bells ringing purely based on its sale picture. Not being 'quite there' combined with a suggestion of shivers really should have set alarm bells ringing with your vet. Gobsmacked he has passed it as fit for purpose! :O Out of interest what did you tell the vet you wanted to do with this horse...amble around the lanes or?

so sorry a horrible disappointment for you but there are some super horses out there looking for good homes within the price budget they are asking for this horse that sadly has massive question marks over its health and future prognosis. :(

Orchard14

Visit site
Trying to catch up on this whole situation having not been involved before! I would personally not touch anything with a neurological issue, not that I’ve ever experienced it first hand but my friend had a horse with something wrong with the signals passing through his body and he started falling over and once he fell on top of her whilst walking out on a hack. She had him pts pretty soon after that

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I’m so sorry OP, what a bloody shame.

A good friend of mine bought her gelding 5 years ago, was vetted and told he had shivers, he was perfect in every way for her first horse and we used the vets finding to reduce the asking price to amount she could afford to lose and she took a punt. He is still very much with us, she has a fab time on him, hacking, low level dressage.

I was told by my instructor on my vetting of my mare to say I wanted to do a higher level dressage than I wanted, jump bigger etc, that way then the vets ‘fit for purpose’ would be of a higher standard than I needed. Don’t know if this is the case or not though.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
The photos in the advert showed a horse with an incorrectly muscled neck so other posts of origin of problem in neck may well be right. Last time I bought a horse, two failed vetting. So upsetting. Sorry this hasn't gone well, but don't give up. Your horse is out there. It may just take a long time to find it.

The neck really jumped out at me too - so sorry OP 💐

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
For those who have seen her on Facebook please could you link me via PM??
As for her neck, I don't know when that pic was taken but it doesn't look like that, it's an odd pic. Vet didn't comment on her neck at all.
I have spoken to the vet again and told him I'm not buying, he was VERY happy with that as he wasn't happy about being unable to give definite answers etc.
I've tried to call and message the seller who is completely ignoring me :(

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
For those who have seen her on Facebook please could you link me via PM??
As for her neck, I don't know when that pic was taken but it doesn't look like that, it's an odd pic. Vet didn't comment on her neck at all.
I have spoken to the vet again and told him I'm not buying, he was VERY happy with that as he wasn't happy about being unable to give definite answers etc.
I've tried to call and message the seller who is completely ignoring me :(

That’s concerning.. maybe they were aware and trying to hide it, hoping she’d pass? You never know?

Will get back on those adverts tomorrow!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
No real surprise to me. I think you are trying to buy a decent horse with ginger beer money. You are looking to pay far too little for a sound, safe big horse. Preloved is usually full of cheap horses. Sorry you need to up your budget.

It may be the curse of the written word but your message is extremely condescending to say the least and, quite frankly, rude.
I'm trying to buy the very best I can on the little money I have, not everyone has 6,7,8k and so on to spend unfortunately. If I could spend much more then I would obviously do so.
I now have to save up for the next vetting.

hihosilver

Visit site
I am being realistic- once upon a time you could have gone to Southall market and take a risk and get a lovely horse. Things have changed. Could you not save up and wait so you can have at least a bit more chance of finding a safe horse. Buying a horse is a lottery.